AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
tstorzuk
Message 1 of 4 (342 Views)

Measuring distance in rotated UCS

342 Views, 3 Replies
10-05-2012 08:22 AM

A little help please,

I have a plot plan, that is rotate about 31 degrees off true north. So when I draw inside the plan, I rotate the UCS to be able to follow a "plant" north.

> UCS > point 1 > point 2 (along x axis) > point 3 (along y axis)

> PLAN > enter > enter

Now, I'm trying to measure a distance between 2 points with my drawing rotated along a new UCS. However, it keeps giving me the measurements as if it were still in the WORLD UCS.....so my x and y values are weird numbers instead of the nicely rounded numbers to which I have offset from a certain point.

> DIST > point 1 > point 2

How do I get my distance to show me what the x and y distances are in the UCS that I have rotated to, instead of showing me the x and y distances based on the WORLD UCS? I know I'm missing something, but just can't remember what.

Thanks for any help.

Distinguished Mentor
steven-g
Message 2 of 4 (328 Views)

Re: Measuring distance in rotated UCS

10-05-2012 12:48 PM in reply to: tstorzuk

DIST should give you the correct answer. It returns two lines of numbers. On the first line it will give you the correct straight line distance and the angle of your ucs, on the second line it will give you the difference of the start and finish points on the x,y, and z axis, which may not mean a right lot. Do you by chance have your command line reduced down just to show the last line of command history.

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 3 of 4 (320 Views)

10-05-2012 03:57 PM in reply to: tstorzuk

Make sure enough of your command lines are visiblr you can see all the information the DIST command returns

Valued Contributor
tstorzuk
Message 4 of 4 (309 Views)

10-05-2012 11:23 PM in reply to: tstorzuk

Steven -

Yes, I agree. DIST should give me the correct information. But for some reason, it isn't. I have my F2 open (Command dialog box) on another screen, so I see everyting that I need to know.

Eventually I just WBLOCKed the entire drawing, opened the wblock and it was working fine.

I really don't understand why it was acting up to begin with, but thanks for your suggestions.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.