AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

esallen
Message 1 of 5 (465 Views)

Measuring Area using Override Dimensions, Can It Be Done?

465 Views, 4 Replies
06-13-2012 12:04 PM

Hi All,

I'm very new to AutoCAD, I was hired to complete a space project this summer which required basic AutoCAD knowledge. I am responsible for populating a database in which one of the fields is the area of individual rooms in a building. The instructions indicated that I was to use polylines to enclose each room / area and to find the area based on these values.

Earlier this year, another student was hired to confirm the measurements on building blueprints. This student took accurate measurements of each room, however instead of correcting the drawings, he simply added override text to the dimensions. Therefore the displayed dimensions are correct but my area values using polylines are inaccurate.

The project that I'm working on includes a number of drawings and close to 1000 rooms. I downloaded a function I found online that allows me to figure out which dimensions were overridden by boxing them in a different colour and I've found that it is a significant ammount.

Is there a way to use these overridden dimensions, without altering the physical nature of the drawing, to find the area of a room?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, otherwise I'll be forced to do each calculation by hand haha.

Thanks in advance

Too Long, Didn't Read:

Need to use polylines to calculate area of many rooms. Dimensions have been overridden and are inaccurate. Can i use the overridden dimensions without altering the physical drawing?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 5 (459 Views)

Re: Measuring Area using Override Dimensions, Can It Be Done?

06-13-2012 12:35 PM in reply to: esallen

You can ask this group here :

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/bd-p/130

to see if they can find a way.

Kind of difficult to figure an area if the room is not a rectangular, square shape.

esallen
Message 3 of 5 (453 Views)

06-13-2012 12:45 PM in reply to: Patchy

Ok thanks, I'll try posting this there too, double my chances!

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 4 of 5 (449 Views)

06-13-2012 01:07 PM in reply to: esallen

Ignore the dims and use Field, Object, select closed pline, choose area, place text.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
esallen
Message 5 of 5 (442 Views)

06-13-2012 01:33 PM in reply to: esallen

Yes that does yield an area, but it gives me the same area does including area in the rollover menue in polylines and regions. My issue is that the dimensions of the polylines correspond to the dimensions on the drawing which are slightly inaccurate. The correct dimensions are the overridden dimensions, however they do not reflect the physical measurements on the drawings.

Is there a way to ignore the physical line and just indicate a different length (overridden dimension) for measurement purposes? The dimensions are only off by at most half a foot in some areas, but by correcting these dimensions I would have to essentially recreate 20 floorplans.

Thanks for your suggestion and thanks in advance for anyone else who has an iea

Erik

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.