AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

jcorkery1
Message 1 of 4 (403 Views)

Matching up point clouds using alignment tool/ smooth object from point cloud

403 Views, 3 Replies
05-30-2012 05:41 AM

I'm confused on how to match up certain points. I have imported 2 point clouds and have tried to use the 'align' tool to specify three points from the source object (cloud) and three points from the destination object (cloud). When doing this, it does not properly align them. The point cloud makes it difficult to select the exact point I would like to align, since there may not be a point at that exact location, but close to it. Does AutoCAD require the points in alignment to match up perfectly or is it capable of doing a best fit?

Also, is AutoCAD capable of creating a solid 3D piece from the point cloud? I would like to take all of my points and make a smooth object. Thanks.

John

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 4 (389 Views)

Re: Matching up point clouds using alignment tool/ smooth object from point clou

05-30-2012 06:15 AM in reply to: jcorkery1

It helps if you attach your drawings.

jcorkery1
Message 3 of 4 (363 Views)

Re: Matching up point clouds using alignment tool/ smooth object from point clou

05-30-2012 09:55 AM in reply to: Patchy

It seems AutoCAD was not made for point clouds. It keeps freezing and closing when I try to manuever around. Is there a plugin available for AutoCAD 2010 that would enable this or speed it up? If not I may have to try some different softwares. Thanks.

John

MatthiasKoksch
Message 4 of 4 (324 Views)

06-01-2012 02:28 AM in reply to: jcorkery1

Yes there is a solution but it is a 3rd party plug-in. I do not want to advertise on the forum but you can send me a private message if needed.

Matthias

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.