AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

ginna123
Message 1 of 9 (4,073 Views)

manually suppress the "missing shx files" dialog (freezes autocad)

4073 Views, 8 Replies
03-13-2011 09:52 AM

hello,

i suddenly have a serious problem when opening any kind of drawing with those missing shx files. the "missing shx files" dialog begins to appear when the whole autocad freezes (permanently) and has to be forcefully shut down. i've already tried a couple of tricks like fontalt etc. also in tools>options>system>hidden messages i can't disable anything since it doesn't have any entries in yet. does anyone know if disabling this dialog can be manually added to registry or where does autocad keep such settings (settings file) etc. reinstalling autocad doesn't help either, also if i put a dummy (cloned from other shx font) shx file with the desired name where other shx files reside, it doesn't work either etc.

thanks for your answers,

ginna.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 9 (4,038 Views)

Re: manually suppress the "missing shx files" dialog (freezes autocad)

03-14-2011 05:32 AM in reply to: ginna123

Perhaps those files need RECOVER first, since you cannot open them.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
ginna123
Message 3 of 9 (4,012 Views)

03-14-2011 12:46 PM in reply to: ginna123

thanx, other users can open the drawing just fine, in fact it used to work on my computer too until recently, i don't know why all of a sudden it doesn't anymore, no changes were made to hardware etc. could be windows update installing some new security updates though. in any case i would need to manually add the disable setting somewhere in the windows registry or edit some ini file or similar, if anyone knows how to do this i would appreciate it.

*Pro
nestly
Message 4 of 9 (4,001 Views)

03-14-2011 03:31 PM in reply to: ginna123

Are there any unusual entries in your font mapping file? (acad.fmp)

Here's what's in the original file

cibt;CITYB___.TTF
cobt;COUNB___.TTF
eur;EURR____.TTF
euro;EURRO___.TTF
par;PANROMAN.TTF
rom;ROMANTIC.TTF
romb;ROMAB___.TTF
romi;ROMAI___.TTF
sas;SANSS___.TTF
sasb;SANSSB__.TTF
sasbo;SANSSBO_.TTF
saso;SANSSO__.TTF
suf;SUPEF___.TTF
te;TECHNIC_.TTF
teb;TECHB___.TTF
tel;TECHL___.TTF

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 9 (3,985 Views)

03-15-2011 04:57 AM in reply to: ginna123

Where do you all store your fonts? If it worked once and now does not, then something did in fact change, you lost the connection to those font files or their folder. Remap to that folder if it's not already listed in OPTIONS comamnd >FILES tab>Search Path entry... .

ginna123
Message 6 of 9 (3,981 Views)

03-15-2011 06:13 AM in reply to: ginna123

thanx, i can't find any such file for fonts (i did a new install), the search path does include the fonts subfolder, the missing shx is not part of autocad shx library, it's only referenced in some of the drawings which we get from subcontractors and they seem to be using it but is not really needed etc. we currently "solve" the problem by using wblock on other computer and saving the whole drawing as a block, then this reference dissapears, so it's really not needed but it otherwise freezes autocad on startup. will also try to downgrade on a previous version if it'll help...

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 9 (3,976 Views)

03-15-2011 06:25 AM in reply to: ginna123

>>>...i did a new install...<<<
so now you share this little gem of information?

>>>... other users can open the drawing just fine...<<<

First find out what the font types are, SHX or TTF, then go to a user's computer that is having no problems, open their AutoCAD fonts folder (c:\program files|\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2011\Fonts, these would be for SHX fonts) and copy all SHX, and add them to your PC at the same location.

Repeat at the other user's Windows Font folder (c:/windows/Fonts).

Restart Windows on your PC, problem goes away.

When you get other files with missing fonts, ask the file sender/contractor to send you their FONTS as well as the DWG file: ETRANSMIT command is designed to do just that. 99% these are most likely shape fonts used in linetypes and not text fonts.

Hope that helps.

anascene
Message 8 of 9 (3,771 Views)

04-18-2011 02:24 PM in reply to: ginna123

The same thing is happening to me!  I am using 2011.  When I had originally installed 2010, I was unable to open drawings with unreferenced files (missing x-refs).  The dialog box would start to appear, and the freeze until I manually closed the program.  So when I installed 2011, I held my breath as I opened my first drawing with unreferenced files - and it worked!  But now the same thing is happening with the missing SHX files.  I am able to open the drawing file with my trusty 2009 version, but not 2011.  When I had contacted technical support about the 2010 x-ref issue, they suggested a "clean" uninstall, and then re-install as an administrator, but that didn't work.  Then they thought that I just got a bad copy of the software, and I left it at that and went back to 2009.

anascene
Message 9 of 9 (3,737 Views)

04-20-2011 06:32 AM in reply to: ginna123

Hi Ginna

I contacted my autocad support again, and after being on the phone and having take control of my computer for almost an entire afternoon, she was finally able to get my autocad 2011 to open files with missing shx files.  The thing that finally worked was to uninstall all of my versions of Microsoft ".net".  Then reinstall the latest one.  She suspects that the latest one didn't install properly on my computer, because then autocad 2011 was asking for .net version 3.5.  So she installed the 3.5 version it was asking for, and it worked!  I hope this solution will work for you as well.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.