Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main Dictionary Not Available

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
bdhamilton
20891 Views, 26 Replies

Main Dictionary Not Available

After installing AutoCAD on 3 new Windows 7 workstations, one of them can't find the main dictionary.  I can find dictionaries (*.dct) by using the Windows Search function, but when I try to specify a path with the Options command, I'm told that there are "None available".  What do I need to do to get a dictionary path loaded?

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
wengle
in reply to: bdhamilton

Old standby - Repair?

Message 3 of 27
pendean

DCTCUST command while in AutoCAD to find the file, Options command>Files tab to find it too. If it does not exist, make one using Window's own NOTEPAD, and place it in that seat's search path (or central server location).
Message 4 of 27
bdhamilton

It's not the custom dictionary that we're having a problem with.  ACAD can't find the main dictionary.  I can find it with Windows Search, but Options>Files>Text Editor, Dictionar, & Font File Names>Main Dictionary tells me "None Available".

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous

Same problem here. Wont take the DCTmain variable when I set it to ENU, so must have corrupt dictionary file or?

Message 6 of 27
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

It's a simple text file, as created by default with Windows Notepad: simply make a new one with the correct extension and place it where your AutoCAD seat looks for it.

FI the 'old' one, rename the extension, try to open it in Windows Notepad and see if tehre is a problem with it: you should be able to copy/paste most of the words from one to the other.

Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

I fixed it. The DCT files were all in Program Files/Autocad...They needed to be in users/appdata/roaming...autocad/support. I moved a copy there and its fine now. I guess the install did not place them there.

Message 8 of 27
JTBWorld

Here are some tips for this type of problem.

Unable to find main dictionary. Could not start speller. Solution!

Jimmy Bergmark
JTB World - Software development and consulting for CAD and license usage reports
https://jtbworld.com

Message 9 of 27
petts5354

Same problem but none of the fixes are working. I found the *dct files. However when I go to "Options-Files-Text Editor, Dictionary, and Font Files-Main Dictionary" I get what is shown below. Notice that Browse, Add etc. are greyed out. Doesn't matter where I put the *.dct files if I can't set the path in config.

Any ideas? 

1568i73CB958598D23478

It's 106 miles to Chicago
we got a full tank of gas
half a pack of cigarettes
it's dark
and we're wearing sunglasses.........Hit it!
Message 10 of 27
Bob.Felton
in reply to: petts5354

Since you have the profile 'HydracadV50.2' loaded, try loading 'AutoCAD MEP (US Imperial)' to see if that restores access to the dictionary file.

If that works, then you might want to check with HydraCAD support to ask why their profile is turning off access to the dictionary and spelling when their profile is loaded.

Bob Felton
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 27
petts5354
in reply to: Bob.Felton

Tried that but it didn't make any difference.

It's 106 miles to Chicago
we got a full tank of gas
half a pack of cigarettes
it's dark
and we're wearing sunglasses.........Hit it!
Message 12 of 27
CADDapult
in reply to: petts5354

I'm late to the party, but thought I'd give an answer that worked for me.

Assuming Windows 7:  Open Windows "Control Panel", then "Programs and Features".  Double-click on AutoCAD, which should bring up a dialog bo to let you "Add or Remove Features", which is what you want, so click it.  Click "next" twice, which should get you to the page where you may find "Dictionaries" is un-checked.  If it is unchecked, that's your problem.  Check the box, then click on the "next" buttons to get things rolling.  You'll need to pop in disk 4 of the install disks. Let the program work it's magic and you should be in business.  Anyway, it did the trick for me.

Luck to you,

Mike

More of a curmudgeon by the hour
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: CADDapult

THANK YOU CADDapult!!!!!

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY!  I'm using Windows XP, went to Control Panel > Add & Remove Programs > AutoCAD 2011 > click on Change/Remove > click on add and remove feature and it was unchecked!  MY GOODNESS.....all this pain for an unchecked box.  thanks again!

Message 14 of 27
Malygris

I don't believe anyone posted this answer, so here goes.

I had this exact problem, but found that I could open the Options dialog (Tools/Options) and set the profile (from the Profiles Tab) to a default Autodesk profile and the dictionaries were all there with American English set as the default.

Upon seeing this I realized that it was simply a path was not set.

If you then go to the Support File Search Path tab in the option Dialog, make sure you have an entry to the default Autodesk Support path, as well as any support path you may use if you customize (which we do here where I work).

I added the line ...

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ACADM 2011\Support

... which is where the .dct files (dictionaries) are stored.

Now click Apply but don't click OK just yet.

Now go down a few lines, still on the Files tab in options, to the line that says Text Editor, Dictionary, and Font File Names.

Click 'Main Dictionary'.

If it is not populated with all dicitonaries I'd be very suprised.

Select your language and be sure to select the button 'Set Current' - now you can click 'OK'.

You should be good to go with not only your spell checker but this will also cause errors occasionally with using DDEDIT as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous

I had exactly the same probem, I could find the .dct-files under C:\Program files\...\support.

But instead of copying the files i just added a search path to the files under "Support Files Search Path".

Message 16 of 27
squishypie
in reply to: Malygris

You are a savior, thank you!

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous

This worked for me. No .dct files were in the user roaming profile. Copying these there and setting dctmain to "enu" made the red circle slash go away in my settings. Now it reads, "American English".
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: Malygris

oh my god!!!!

I tried various solution type and reinstall. but that problem wasn't better.

After tryied that solution, finally!!!!!!!!

Thank you veryvery much. So I'm not good at Englist, trying write this reply. Thank you again!

Message 19 of 27
Malygris
in reply to: squishypie

@squishypie wrote:

You are a savior, thank you!

Just saw your reply - you're welcome!  Very glad that fix was able to help.

Message 20 of 27
Malygris

@Anonymous wrote:

oh my god!!!!

I tried various solution type and reinstall. but that problem wasn't better.

After tryied that solution, finally!!!!!!!!

Thank you veryvery much. So I'm not good at Englist, trying write this reply. Thank you again!

hlmin - your Engllish is better than my German - you're welcome.  Glad I was able to help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report