AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
dulerong
Message 1 of 5 (1,136 Views)

LOFT - Can't create 3D solid b/c of Splined surface

1136 Views, 4 Replies
06-17-2011 03:42 PM

Valve Pic1.png

As you can see, the nature of my model forbids me from making a 3D solid using LOFT.

The top surface is consisted of 3D polyline and arc, which if "joined" will be become a spline.

The bottom surface can easily be joined into polyline.

If I loft the top and bottom, it'll only give me a LOFTED Surface, which is not I want (wanted a 3D solid)

Any suggestIon?

b_a_osman
Message 2 of 5 (1,093 Views)

Re: LOFT - Can't create 3D solid b/c of Splined surface

06-18-2011 08:35 AM in reply to: dulerong

- draw the full circle of the lower curve and the upper curve ..

- loft the two circles with no guidelines or pathes ..

- delete the upper face for the last created solid .. that will give u a cone ..

- slice the cone using the center rectangle part of ur top 3d polyline as a slice plan ..keep the lower part ..

- slice it again using the two side guidelines as a plan..

this will eventually give u how the curve should look like if the 3d polyline is planner ..

- draw a closed polyline connecting the center rectangle and the two mirrored curved we produced earlier ..

loft the last polyline with the original lower polyline using the six guidecurves u have .. ( don't forget to extrend the straight guidelines to reach the new polyline)

- this will give u the 3d solid u need .. all what's left is to go to front vies and ucs .. thin trim the unwanted solids with slice or subtract using a new shape (that will b better cause slice may split some faces)..

am sorry i couldn't attach the 3d solid i already modeled at work .. couldn't log-in from there ..

have a goodday..

b_a_osman
Message 3 of 5 (1,081 Views)

06-19-2011 01:50 AM in reply to: dulerong

yussuf87
Message 4 of 5 (397 Views)

11-21-2013 12:08 AM in reply to: dulerong

your spline has 3d coordinates(not flat). The polyline is flat so there is nothing wrong with it. Whenever you try to loft using curved surfaces/closed lines, you will only get a surface. Try to flatten the top spline and you will see that you can create a solid.

AlexanderSchmidtObermoller
Message 5 of 5 (72 Views)

09-04-2014 11:24 AM in reply to: b_a_osman
SO, what was the trick?
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.