AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

adrian
Message 1 of 7 (4,764 Views)

Lines not co-planar problem

4764 Views, 6 Replies
06-11-2012 03:34 PM

I'm a long term AutoCAD user who is struggling to get to the bottom of a recurring problem I'm having in some of my drawings. The symptoms are as follows:

1. Sometimes the intersect snap doesn't work and I have to keep flattening items in the drawing to get it to work.

2. Text appears to be rough edged - this is the tell tale sign which tells me I'm going to have problems. Text appears like this when I either copy it within the drawing or copy it from another drawing. The text can be fine before it's copied. Again the flatten procedure will solve the problem and return the text to it's clean edged state.

These problems suggest that items in the drawing are on different planes but the when I check object properties everything is ok and I admit that I'm baffled.

I'm finding the problem extremely disruptive to my workflow and really want to find out what's wrong because It's got me baffled.

I originally put the problem down to badly executed AutoCAD drawings by other people that I was having to use from but now I'm not sure.

I've attached a stripped down drawing which shows the problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Adrian

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 7 (4,757 Views)

Re: Lines not co-planar problem

06-11-2012 05:25 PM in reply to: adrian

Use the UNITS command to turn the precision up

The green hatches, Mtexts, and polylines at the top have a Z elevation of -0.00000043   My guess is that you're not getting something back to 0 Elevation, and then you're snapping other objects to it, which put's time above or below 0

*Pro
nestly
Message 3 of 7 (4,755 Views)

06-11-2012 05:31 PM in reply to: nestly

Also, you can use QSELECT to find objects that are not at 0 Elevation using the NOT EQUAL TO operator.

adrian
Message 4 of 7 (4,739 Views)

06-12-2012 02:09 AM in reply to: adrian

Thank you for the response and your suggestions.

Yes I'm aware that certain items aren't on 0 elevation of the Z axis and I realise this issue causes the lines to be non-coplanar.

However what I really want to know is why this is happening and how to stop it occuring without having to go through the investigation and flattening processes which is causing much frustration.

In the drawing I posted I'm also noticing that if I flatten certain items it changes their size - if you draw a rectangle at a specific size, then flatten it and re check the dimensions you will see what I mean. Flattening has altered some of the items in the drawing by 5mm which is causing me major problems.

I don't need to work to high tolerances because this is joinery work so I always keep my unit accuracy set to .5mm.

I was also aware of how to use quick select to check item properties, but basically I want to stop the problem occuring so I don't have to keep checking things all the time and I have the confidence that there are no such problems in the drawings.

I've really tried to understand what's causing this issue but it's got me stumped.

Adrian

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 5 of 7 (4,727 Views)

06-12-2012 06:00 AM in reply to: adrian

Stop snapping to Z elevation, use OSNAPZ = 1

*Pro
nestly
Message 6 of 7 (4,724 Views)

06-12-2012 06:45 AM in reply to: adrian

I wasn't able to find anything that changed size when FLATTENED, but I don't discount the possibility, particurally when there any delta-Z relative to the current UCS.

I don' t have an explaination for how the objects became to be not zero.  I can only offer the possibility that while moving or copying something, a comma may have been inadvertantly entered in place of a period, resulting in something being placed above or below the XY plane, and then other objects were snapped to that object.

ie  MOVE > 9876.5, 432.1  vs MOVE> 9876.5, 432,1

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 7 of 7 (4,691 Views)

06-15-2012 05:25 AM in reply to: adrian

Please try CHZ20.vlx

3wood

CAD KITS

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.