AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
dulerong
Message 1 of 5 (4,719 Views)
Accepted Solution

Line Problem in 3D - How to draw line in 3D?

4719 Views, 4 Replies
06-07-2011 11:48 PM

Problem:

I'm trying to create curvature line in 3D, so I'm not in that TOP view anymore.

I have two points at different elevation and I'm trying to join them up with a POLYLINE or ARC. Unfortunately, AutoCAD does not let me do this.

If I try to do this, AutoCAD lets me snap my line's first point to one of the points at different elevation, but as I try to drag the end point to the 2nd point at a higher elevation, I seem to be constrained to the elevation of the 1st point.

So it's like I can only extend my line on the elevation of the first point.

I think it's a UCS problem, but I'm not gonna change my UCS everytime I try to do this type of drawing.

Anyone has an idea?

ARC and PLINE are basically 2D commands. You cannot use them to create a line/arc in 3D. To make the kind of curve that you want, you will have to reorient the UCS.

However, if you are ok with a simple line joining the two points, simply use the LINE or 3DPOLY command to join the two points.

u cannot escape this .. u'll need to change the ucs whenever u need to draw an arc or a pline in 3d ..

yup.. totally correct .. me myself i hate using splines and elliptical arcs .. speacially when am willing to modify it or use it as a refrence ...

Contributor
joe.aash
Message 2 of 5 (4,696 Views)

Re: Line Problem in 3D - How to draw line in 3D?

06-08-2011 02:27 AM in reply to: dulerong

ARC and PLINE are basically 2D commands. You cannot use them to create a line/arc in 3D. To make the kind of curve that you want, you will have to reorient the UCS.

However, if you are ok with a simple line joining the two points, simply use the LINE or 3DPOLY command to join the two points.

b_a_osman
Message 3 of 5 (4,680 Views)

06-08-2011 03:19 AM in reply to: dulerong

u cannot escape this .. u'll need to change the ucs whenever u need to draw an arc or a pline in 3d ..

Contributor
dulerong
Message 4 of 5 (4,643 Views)

06-08-2011 10:32 AM in reply to: dulerong

Thanks a lot guys,

I ended up using 3DPOLY with SPLINE CV, after adding some points I managed to get a curvy structure.

But I think if I wanted REAL Curves, like perfect ones, I'd have to change UCS and do the ARC individually.

Correct?

b_a_osman
Message 5 of 5 (4,622 Views)

06-08-2011 10:39 PM in reply to: dulerong

yup.. totally correct .. me myself i hate using splines and elliptical arcs .. speacially when am willing to modify it or use it as a refrence ...

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.