Did you mean: 

License & activation concerns

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
SpiralMFG
708 Views, 9 Replies

License & activation concerns

I’m new to company I work for and I’m trying to make sure I don’t violate the license agreement on our AutoCAD 2010.  My records show that we’re licensed for 2.  We’ve got it installed on one workstation (single server) and I’ve been asked to install it on a laptop.  My problem is, no one can tell me if this has been installed/activated anywhere else.  My concern is that I’ll activate the laptop license and it will cripple the one on the workstation which is critical to our operations.  How do I know for sure?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Patchy
in reply to: SpiralMFG

I think you can install more than 1 PCs or Laptops, but only 1 can be used at anytime for each license.

Message 3 of 10
SpiralMFG
in reply to: Patchy

Thanks, I understand that part of license agreement so there's no problem there. As I mentioned, the notes I'm reading seem to indicate that we purchased 2 full licenses but I can't find any way to confirm this. Autodesk doesn't seem to have any kind of customer service available via telephone.
Message 4 of 10
Patchy

You can try this:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/contactus

it will lead you to :

Message 5 of 10
SpiralMFG

I tried that. I tried it again at your suggestion and it only gets me to a page that doesn't seem to work. I get nothing but a 'wait' icon and that's about it. Beyond that it only sends me back here. Very frustrating.
Message 6 of 10
Patchy

Do you know the name and phone number of the reseller that your company bought it from? Give them a call.

(Support team is sleeping right now in NEW DELHI  Smiley Very Happy)

Message 7 of 10
SpiralMFG

I did try that to, but call backs were not their forte'. I figured a company the size of Autodesk might have some kind of direct customer service but apparently that's not part of their business model?

I really just need to get this installed on that other laptop. Would you happen to know that if I request/install another key, do I risk crippling the installation on the system it's on now if I'm unknowingly out of compliance? (not sure what my predecessor did) If I know that I won't prevent the software from running on the other computer I'll just go ahead as we really need it in the field.
Message 8 of 10
JDMather

Go to http://registeronce.autodesk.com and log in.

What information do you see?

Now the problem with this is - you will need the username and password that was used for the original activation.

AND

this is the wrong forum for your question.  Autodesk has a forum dedicated to your problem over here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
dgorsman

Direct customer service is called "Subscription" - if you are making yearly maintenance payments, thats what its for.  There is a site where you can directly submit problems, including licensing questions.

Activiating an extra stand-alone license won't automatically deactivate another somewhere else on the system.  You would be in violation of your license agreement though and could fail a future audit which is much more likely if you continue with not tracking where your software assets are.  If you've passed the number of activations, you will be contacted by AutoDesk to ask about it.  Tracking who has which licenses is one of the responsibilities of the purchaser.  If you have nothing to go by already, this is a good opportunity to start (and to keep it up to date).  If there aren't too many computers this can be done manually.  There's a few IT tools which can assist in listing what each computer has installed, but those generally won't tell if it is licensed or not.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 10
SpiralMFG
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks for the responses. I've moved my question over to the licensing thread (thank you JDMather) and it's good to know that it won't put the other system out of service. (thank you dgorsman) I really want to make certain that I'm in compliance but sad to say it's been a bit of a struggle so far. I'll keep trying and see if that other thread gets me in the right direction.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost