AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 11 of 18 (480 Views)

Re: Learning to create Blocks with Annotative Scale issues

08-10-2012 05:32 AM in reply to: heinsite

Dear Dave,

Apologies for the delay in an answer. I was reassigned to a different project.

I did manage to get back into working on the blocks per the instructions in your messages, and I do believe I got it to work right. Thank you.

Now, soon I should be able to apply the new block to the new project's light fixtures!

Chris Martin

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 12 of 18 (477 Views)

08-10-2012 10:25 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

That's great you've got it working! 

I'll often use topics from these forums as inspiration for articles I publish for users in my company.  So I have to thank you for the question too.  This was a nice little exercise to write about.

Dave. 

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 13 of 18 (452 Views)

08-14-2012 06:40 AM in reply to: heinsite

Dear Dave,

I've been using my skills on a new project, with great success so far. Thank you for that. Now, I'd like to ask you more, to build upon this, please.

Here is my next concern. I have a different light fixture symbol, which is simply two concentric circles not specifically meant to show the actual fixture size. However, as light fixtures, these must also have the same attributes of fixture type and circuit switching as the 2x4 lights that also appear on the lighting plan.

My lighting plan is 1/4" = 1'-0" (thus, a 48x multiplier for inserting blocks & increasing text height). How should I create my circular fixture block with Annotative attributes, so that the 2x4's and the circulars interact properly with the Annotation Scale? Should my entire circular light block be Annotative, in this case?

Thank you.

Chris Martin

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 14 of 18 (449 Views)

08-14-2012 10:47 AM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

You'll build this new block the same way you did the first one.  Only in this case you get to pick the diameters of the circles since they're "representative" only.  You might want to make the inside filled or a small donut to make sure it always shows up.  But once you've done that, without checking the "Annotative" box in the block creation setup dialog, continue as you did before.  When you create and place the attributes make sure that you make the text annotative and you use the same text height as with the first block.  This will ensure that all of your annotations are the same size when plotted regardless of viewport scale.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 15 of 18 (403 Views)

08-28-2012 07:43 AM in reply to: heinsite

Dear Dave,

First of all, I had replied to your private message. Thank you.

Now, I've got another question for you on this topic. (By the way, is it acceptable to continue a thread, once a solution has been reached? If not, I apologize.)

I've worked with your Annotation Scale toggles, and have gotten the hang of that. But, the toggles seem to affect all Annotative items in a file's Model Space en masse. This is nice, but if I wanted to add a unique extra Annotation Scale to a single Block instance, without affecting others (which basically makes the others disappear at the new extra scale), how do I do this?

Thank you for teaching me, and others, of this skill. It's awesome!

Chris Martin

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 16 of 18 (391 Views)

08-28-2012 08:48 PM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

Your question continues the original thread, so yeah, I don't see a problem.  And I doubt the Autodesk police are going to fine us if we keep going a little longer.  :smileyhappy:

You're very right.  Whenever you insert annotative objects, be they text or blocks, they will all be sensitive to the CANNOSCALE when you change it.  One way to have things not show is to isolate them by layer and either freeze or thaw the layer as needed.  But if you don't want to do that and you want to add a new scale to an existing annotative object it's really easy to do.

Select the object you want to add the new scale to it.

Open Properties.

In the Misc section click the Annotative Scale box.  Then click the elipsis [...] on the right end.  This will open the Annotation Object Scale dialog box.  It will show you the scale your object is currently mapped to (the "List all scales for selected objects" should be selected for this to be true). 

Click Add, select the new scale you want the object to display in and click OK 

Click OK again to close the Annotation Object Scale dialog.

That's all there is to it.  Now when you change the scale this object will display also.  It's fairly common to have annoatitve objects mapped to multiple scales.  This is how you change the odds and ends.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Valued Contributor
Spiritshifterus
Message 17 of 18 (384 Views)

08-29-2012 01:30 PM in reply to: heinsite

Dear Dave,

Wow! That was so extremely simple, I'm almost embarassed that I had to ask about it!

Thank you.

Chris

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 18 of 18 (380 Views)

08-29-2012 05:27 PM in reply to: Spiritshifterus

Was glad to help.

Most all of this stuff is pretty easy... once you learn how.  And that's the main bit.  There's a lot of it to learn!  :smileytongue:

Suggest you do what I do:  Try and learn one new thing a day... and be patient with yourself.  Before you know it you'll be answering more questions here than you'll be asking.

Dave.

Dave Hein, P.E.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.