Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layout Origin - Time for AutoDesk to Fix This Issue

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
pdr0663
579 Views, 1 Reply

Layout Origin - Time for AutoDesk to Fix This Issue

I'm sorry for the tone of the subject line, but having searched the forum for solutions to the issue of the location of the origin in layouts, and having struggled with it myself dfor some time, it's clear that the paradigm for locating the origin is flawed.

This problem has existed all the way back to AutoCAD 2000 (and probably before). Most companies I deal with create a drawing frame, with various points or extending features outside the frame in an attempt to centre the frame on the sheet. They then use plot->extents->scale-to-fit to position on the plotted paper, or some other such kludge. Changes to the plot device, with various margins, causes a different result, with inaccurate scales and general heartache.

IMHO, the world origin for each layout should be the lower left corner of the paper. Period. It seems that for a layout, the paper size and orientation is a property of the printer, which is a flawed paradigm. The paper size and orientation should be a property of the layout, independent of the printer chosen. This would mean that a drawing frame could be drawn relative to the paper, and the layout plotted with the "layout" option, for any printer, and the drawing frame would be consistent from plot device to plot device. The drawing frame could be drawn, with precision, from the lower left corner of the paper.

The concept of a paper space Layout is to truly represent a piece of paper, which is a universal concept and should not depend on the chosen plot device. We shold not have dozens of forum posts (and countless other on other forums) trying to position a drawing frame accurately on a device plot.

I note that DraftSight has implemented the world paperspace origin for a layout at the bottom left of the paper once a plot device has been chosen.

This would also be fine for AutoCAD, or a solution may be as simple as a system variable to force the world origin to the layout bottom corner, which wouldn't change the paradigm, but would be a large step forward.

Can we please have this or some other satisfactory solution in an future version of AutoCAD?

Regards,

Paul Riley

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
pdr0663
in reply to: pdr0663

Here are mysuggested alternative configuration dialog boxes. I have split the plot configuration into two. The first is the layout settings box, and the second is the plot configuration.

Any comments or alterations?

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost