Did you mean: 

Layout Creation

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
TomChute3419
367 Views, 15 Replies

Layout Creation

I need help (AutoCAD 2010).

I am trying to create a single layout with title blockandviewport to save as a template for future. Right clicking on the layout tab does not produce the menu.

I create a new layout by selecting page set up manager in the file menu, create a new layout, but the tab does not show up at the bottom.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dmfrazier
in reply to: TomChute3419

"I create a new layout by selecting page set up manager in the file menu, create a new layout, but the tab does not show up at the bottom."

It is unclear what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to create a new layout or define the page setup for an existing layout?

When I follow your steps (File menu, select Page Setup Manager) with the Layout1 tab current this is what I get:

PageSetupMgr.png

The menu/dialog does not have a "create a new layout" option.

This (pagesetup command) is how we assign a page setup to an existing layout.  You can either define a new page setup, modify an existing one, or import one from another source (DWG or DWT) and then assign it (Set Current) for the current layout.

The pagesetup command does not create a new layout (paperspace tab).  To do that, right-click on the current DWG tab and select New Layout.

Message 3 of 16
hwalker
in reply to: dmfrazier

That pagesetup manager is only for creating printing page setups, not new layouts.

To create your template all you need to do is setup everything how you want it on the LAYOUT1 tab, and then FILE SAVEAS and choose the DRAWING TEMPLATE type.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 4 of 16
dmfrazier
in reply to: hwalker

"That pagesetup manager is only for creating printing page setups, not new layouts."

Yes, I know that. (Was there something in my post that made you think I don't understand that? Smiley Frustrated)

Is there another "pagesetup manager" that creates new layouts?  If so, please enlighten me (and the OP).

OP stated:

"Right clicking on the layout tab does not produce the menu"

It is unclear to me what this means, but I think the OP's issue boils down to something not working as expected.  Just not sure what might be causing it.  A little clarifying would be helpful. 

Message 5 of 16
hwalker

I was replying to the OP not you.

But yes I do agree that the OP needs to clarify a little.

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 6 of 16
dmfrazier
in reply to: hwalker

"I was replying to the OP not you."

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Apparently the forum got it wrong Smiley Wink:

Capture_02.PNG

Message 7 of 16
TomChute3419

Thanks for the feedbackI'll try to be a bit clearer.

In version 2009, to create a layout page for each of my views I would simply rightclick the layout 1 tab and select "new layout"

Since I upgraded, that doesn't happen anymore. I right click the tab and whatever my last command was launches. Before you jump, I have gone in and set up my right click customization as well as layout properties in the options master set up window.

My right click doesn't function the way it should.

Also, I went in and created new from the insert /layout/new layout. which did create a new tab but did not give me the option to copy from existing

When I launch page setup manager, I can see a large list of layouts that I created but I still don't have the tabs at the bottom of the window to select from....

I could send screen shots if it'll help

Message 8 of 16
dmfrazier

"I could send screen shots if it'll help"

That definitely would help.  Thanks.

"When I launch page setup manager, I can see a large list of layouts that I created..."

This is where I get confused.  Page Setup Manager should be showing a list of page setups, not a list of layouts.

"My right click doesn't function the way it should."

This is the tricky part... and I assume it is related to:

"I have gone in and set up my right click customization as well as layout properties in the options master set up window"

This needs some additional explanation/illustration.

Message 9 of 16
TomChute3419

All I can produce for you is the following screen shots.

Not sure if it helps but I think the root of the issue is with my mouse. Prior to the upgrade, I was ablt to Pan by pressing the mouse wheel an dragging, Now the mouse wheel only scrolls up and down

Message 10 of 16
TomChute3419

I think I am confusing the page set-up manager and new layout as well. That said, I have the defaults set up so that when I do create new layout, the page setup manager is supposed to pop open to allow yoq to copy properties from one layout to another...this functionality doesn't work

Message 11 of 16
hwalker

@dmfrazier wrote:

"I was replying to the OP not you."

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  Apparently the forum got it wrong Smiley Wink:

Capture_02.PNG

I'm lazy. I usually click on the last reply.

As to the OP that list you see is a list of PRINT LAYOUTS.

Call up your print dialog box. Notice at the top it says PAGE SETUP. Below it it usually starts as <NONE>. Open the dropdown list and you will see a list of all those 'Pages' you created.

These are really a set of printing presets, so you don't have to  go repeating yourself when you want to print.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 12 of 16
dmfrazier

Okay... so to re-cap:

"I think the root of the issue is with my mouse..."

Sounds like a good place to start, but I'm not sure how the scroll wheel setting would affect right-clicking.  Does right-clicking work in other contexts?

"I have the defaults set up so that when I do create new layout, the page setup manager is supposed to pop open to allow yoq to copy properties from one layout to another...this functionality doesn't work"

Since you aren't able to right-click a layout tab (and select New Layout there), how are you able to create a new layout?

Message 13 of 16
TomChute3419

This is the problem,....I can't.
And therefore I thought by creating the new Pagesetups, I would be solving
this problem but instead all I managed to do was create a dozen or so
copies of the same page setup but with different names.

with out the right click functionality, my hands are tied....So to produce
a set of drawing printouts, I have to use the same layout tab and pan
through the model space until the view I want is in the viewport..Hence the
issue with the scroll wheel functionality....
Message 14 of 16
dmfrazier

"with out the right click functionality, my hands are tied"

Agreed.

To address the right-click functionality, assuming it's related to the mouse you're using, can you switch to a different mouse to see if that restores the behavior you expect?

If not, can you bring up the mouse's control panel applet to change its properties?

Message 15 of 16
27thofnever

Can you create a new layout by typing LAYOUT?

Message 16 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: 27thofnever

From Modelspace, Yes, Yes you can.

You likely can even automate thru a Macro or Script if so inclined.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost