AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 31 of 40 (559 Views)

Re: Layers problem

03-26-2012 12:58 AM in reply to: norcaljess

Dear Autodesk,

Would it be violating any NDA's at this late date to tell me if the Layers Colors problem is going to be resolved in 2013.  It bit me tonite when I created a new layer, set up a color and linetype and then went to use it.  The first time I drew a line the color was not as I set it!  It was the color of the layer I'd used previously.  By going to the Layers palette on the Home tab I was able to change and correct it, but this seems like such a kludge.

Tell me this will be fixed in the next version.  :smileyfrustrated:

btw: Win 7 64-bit, AutoCAD 2012

Dave

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Employee
dan908
Message 32 of 40 (542 Views)

03-26-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: jon.orchard

From what I can see in google search and comments from fellow employees, it is safe for me to say: Try it when you get 2013 it should corrected. Unfortunately, this was not a "fix" it was a change to how layers are worked with under the hood, so do not expect the change before 2013. Most people have told me that if you do not click directly from naming the layer into the color or linetype box that you will avoid the problem in the pre-2013 releases.

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 33 of 40 (524 Views)

03-26-2012 01:32 PM in reply to: dan908

Thanks for the feedback, Dan.  I suspect that your description of going straight from the layer name to the color during description without a stop somewhere else first was exactly what I did... and why seeing the problem was so intermittent.  I don't always set a layer up that way.

I suppose now I know one of the things I'll look at first in the new version in a couple of weeks.  :smileyhappy:

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
edmund.hiew
Message 34 of 40 (353 Views)

11-26-2012 06:03 PM in reply to: callison

Regarding the original question...

I found that if you have Bentley ProjectWise integration you need to actually run command DMSON and this will be solved.

Hope this helps.

Valued Contributor
3dArchdude
Message 35 of 40 (260 Views)

04-10-2013 08:38 AM in reply to: callison

It took far too long to track down why my 2012 Layer Properties Manager would never change the color of a new layer. After looking in several threads I was able to reconstruct the work-around.

There is not and never has been a fix to this "bug" in the 2012 Layer Properties Manager.

If a user creates a new layer in the LPM, renames Layer 1, then clicks to change the color that color selection will not take even though the LPM shows that is has. All the other layer color toolbars and the Ribbon will show the previous color and any object created will also have the wrong color.

The work-around is that after a user renames Layer 1 they need to either;

1) click somewhere else to finish the naming process, then click to change the color.

2) press "Enter" so that AutoCAD knows that the renaming process is finished, then change the color.

3) click the "Set Current" button and then change the color either on the Ribbon or any toolbar with a layer color control.

4) install AutoCAD 2013 or higher.

You can not directly go from creating a new named layer to changing its color like you could in previous versions.

This has nothing to do with profiles or reinstalling AutoCAD 2012 or any of the other odd suggestions. It is purely a change in the way the programers qued the LPM's command expectations. So to call it a bug is not totally accurate but it acts like a bug and did cause the LPM to function differently than before and did remove a sequence of layer creation that results in toolbars, the Ribbon and the LPM not agreeing as to what color a new layer will have.

This does not happen in 2013+ as they reworked the LPM again and you can change the color by clicking directly after renaming a layer.

The mistake the programes made was not thinking about how a user would click and by clicking on an active button, in this case the color selection, the new layer name would not resolve correctly. It forces the user to make an additional step that was not needed in previuous versions and that is where the confusion started.

jpaquay
Message 36 of 40 (240 Views)

04-16-2013 06:23 AM in reply to: 3dArchdude

I am running 2013 and the issue is still there. Nothing has changed in the LPM that I can see since 2012.

casm1977
Message 37 of 40 (127 Views)

Layer issue

04-04-2014 08:52 AM in reply to: jon.orchard

Hello to everyone,

I started working on my new compute ACER with windows 8 on it. I recently noticed that Autocad 2013 automatically creates a layer named ACA_VARSAVE. I have walked trough all layers and that layer does not contain any objects and also I cannot purge it. I would lile to get rid of it but I can´t do that. What is the purpouse of that layer or why does it appear automaticallly?

Thanks in advanced for your opinion.

jstar1216
Message 38 of 40 (73 Views)

04-22-2014 06:48 AM in reply to: jon.orchard

Make sure your

LAYERDLGMODE

is set to 0

this worked for me.

jpaquay
Message 39 of 40 (62 Views)

04-22-2014 08:53 AM in reply to: jstar1216
Wow, jstar1216. This worked for me, too (after dealing with this stupidity for years). Amazing. Thanks very much for the tip!!
I wonder why AutoDesk support couldn't give us this info... instead of telling us to recreate profiles or work more slowly...
jstar1216
Message 40 of 40 (57 Views)

04-22-2014 08:59 AM in reply to: heinsite

No prob bob, I noticed that once I changed the variable to "0" I couldn't dock the layer manager anymore.  It might have something to do with that???

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.