AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AWTWater
Message 1 of 28 (2,218 Views)

Layer Properties Manager - The Saga Continues

2218 Views, 27 Replies
03-27-2012 01:55 PM

Y'know, after all this time, after all these iterations of the product, and after so long telling us how wonderful it is, you'd think Autodesk would've managed to get some of the fundamentals right, maybe even fix some of the things people have been flagging up for years.....

Take the Layer Properties Manager - even now, in the 2012 product, it still doesn't work.  You switch columns off ... they come back again.  You resize columns ... they reset to something arbitrary.  You beat it with a large stick ... it still doesn't do what you want.

How can it be that something as basic as layer management is such an arduous task after all these years of alleged improvement and refinement of the product?  And it's not just the LPM, of course.  Oh no.  We also have to put up with annotative scaling that never does what it's supposed to.  And an "intuitive" ribbon that's a bugger to get working inuitively.  And crashes when you want to do something incredibly difficult and resource-hungry like draw a line, or move a single object (I know, I know, I'm asking *far* too much!)

I'm well aware that people have been going on about this sort of stuff for years now, but Zarking Fardwarks! and swutting Belgium, man! ... when are Autodesk going to get their act together and give us software that actually does the basics?!  Most people couldn't give a wet slap how fancy the interface is, just as long as it does its job properly!

Come on, Autodesk.  Either fix the bloody software, or drop the price.  Fair's fair.  Some of us have been beta testing AutoCAD for 20 years now, or so it seems.  It'd be nice to get the *finished* product some time soon .....

(Thanks for reading.  I just needed to get it off my chest.)

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 28 (2,206 Views)

Re: Layer Properties Manager - The Saga Continues

03-27-2012 03:27 PM in reply to: AWTWater

If you want to fix any of thise, might I suggest a complete removal and reinstall of your OS and only your core apps, starting wuth AutoCAD. I had to do hat for a bugger-of-a-pc recently while ge other dozen PCs behaved.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
AWTWater
Message 3 of 28 (2,199 Views)

03-27-2012 03:58 PM in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your response, firmly laying the blame for all the problems in AutoCAD on the OS and/or computer, but not the software itself.

You don't work for Autodesk by any chance, do you?  I'm just guessing.....  ;-)

Mentor
PorterCAD
Message 4 of 28 (2,188 Views)

03-27-2012 08:18 PM in reply to: AWTWater
I've been able to do all those items you suggested with success and no real issues. I have seen in the past where the problems stated were fixes with the installation of the service pack, but have also seen OS issues being the root of this. I've even seen Windows updates do weird things to the software.

No, I don't work for Autodesk. I just want to make sure you've explored all your options before putting the blame on something that may not even be the culprit.

Jason
Jason Porter
Enceptia Technical Advisor & Civil Solutions Blogger
http://enceptia.com/author/jporter/
*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 5 of 28 (2,182 Views)

03-27-2012 09:45 PM in reply to: pendean

And if you do follow Dean's advice (which I highly recommend) be sure to follow this procedure:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2887771&linkID=9240617

and not scrimp on just a Windows standard program removal.  It won't do the job.  If you still have problems after a reinstall your problems are likely unrelated to AutoCAD.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
AWTWater
Message 6 of 28 (2,057 Views)

06-28-2012 08:34 PM in reply to: AWTWater

So I've now got the 2013 product installed and guess what?  Yup, the Layer Properties Manager *still* doesn't work.  And the "intuitive" ribbon *still* manages to slow down the work process.  And dialogue boxes *still* mysteriously reset themselves to default sizes - if they're even able to be resized, that is.

Same old, same old.

No, it's got nothing to do with the OS, before any of you Autodesk apologists throw in your two cents.  You don't even know what OS I'm running, so how can any of you say that's the cause of the problems.  It's issues like this - and there are many others relating to basic functionality - that have been dogging AutoCAD products for umpteen generations of the software.  I can remember massive problems being encountered with layer management as far back as R14 at least!

Is it too much to ask that Autodesk get round to sorting out the basics before bombarding us with further "upgrades" that don't fix the simple stuff but also introduce new things that aren't fully functional?  We pay a frikkin' HUGE amount for this software, particularly so outside the good ol' Yoo Ess of Ay where we actually seem to be subsidising the US market.  And what do we get?  Increasingly bloated software that's forever introducing largely pointless enhancements, but still doesn't fix the stuff that was broken years ago.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but what's new?  Users have been crying out for things to get fixed for years and yet they never *do* get fixed.

Come on, Autodesk.  Pull your bloody fingers out and fix the problems.  Please?  Otherwise I'm going to try out a better alternative .... Etch-A-Sketch.

Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Message 7 of 28 (2,046 Views)

06-29-2012 03:18 AM in reply to: AWTWater

nice rant

so what are your os, memory, video card, etc aka system specs? 

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 8 of 28 (2,042 Views)

06-29-2012 05:12 AM in reply to: AWTWater

In general, failure to retain settings of a workspace is usually due to one of the following:

1)resetting the software to default.

2)an enterprise level cui or customization instended to limit a users changes to software environment.

3)something like ghost that protects a region of the disk from changes.

4)an overly ambitions registry cleaner.

5)failure to save the workspace settings.

6)a prankster.

Mentor
PorterCAD
Message 9 of 28 (2,035 Views)

06-29-2012 06:15 AM in reply to: AWTWater

Ok, so we all get it.  You're not happy.  But hardly anyone else is chiming in and agreeing with you.  My Layers Properties Manager works fine.  Those issues you mention don't occur on my end.  The intuitive ribbon also works fine on my end.  So what is the major difference between your system makeup and the rest of us who aren't having any issues? 

• Did you migrate any custom settings?
  • Have you customized your workspace in any way?
  • Are you setting your workspace settings to be saved after you've customized them?
  • You mentioned dialog boxes.  What dialog boxes resisize themselves, or is it only the Layers Properties Manager?
  • And, yes. . .what OS are you running? 
  • What video card are you using?
  • When you installed, did you customize the install? 
  • Did you have your anti-virus software deactivated during install?
  • What are your fiewall settings?

I'm only asking all these because, obviously, the rest of us who are responding here have yet to encounter those issues. 

Jason

Jason Porter
Enceptia Technical Advisor & Civil Solutions Blogger
http://enceptia.com/author/jporter/
Valued Mentor
TerryDotson
Message 10 of 28 (2,026 Views)

06-29-2012 01:14 PM in reply to: AWTWater

In response to posts like this and requests from many of our users, we recently undertook the task of creating our own Layer Manager in the ClassicLayer (modal dialog) style.  While it looks like AutoCAD, under the hood are dozens of additional capabilities such as draworder by layer, merging layers, change case and much more.

And of course we save the column order, visibility and width for the next session.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.