AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*elenist
Message 1 of 20 (2,118 Views)

layer previous

2118 Views, 19 Replies
05-25-2010 11:26 PM
Very often in autocad 2011, layerp command (layer previous) doesn't work.

When this happens I use the command layerpmode which is on, and I make it
off and then again on, and then it works.

But this happens very often. Is there a way out of it?
*Pro
murray-clack
Message 2 of 20 (2,117 Views)

Re: layer previous

05-26-2010 04:44 AM in reply to: *elenist
Have you tried LAYUNISO?
*elenist
Message 3 of 20 (2,117 Views)

05-26-2010 08:01 AM in reply to: *elenist
When the same problem happens again I will try if LAYUNISO works, but even
if it does, it doesn't help me, because I don't use LAYERP command only
after LAYISO command.

wrote in message news:6397555@discussion.autodesk.com...
Have you tried LAYUNISO?
Valued Contributor
briancoward
Message 4 of 20 (2,001 Views)

11-04-2010 05:09 PM in reply to: *elenist

elenist,

Were you ever able to figure out what was wrong?  I'm having the same issue and without Layer Previous it's impossible to work with large layer sets.  I'll post here if I find an answer anywhere else.  Remind again... why do we upgrade to something that doesn't work?  :smileyhappy:

Brian

*Pro
nestly
Message 5 of 20 (1,997 Views)

11-04-2010 05:34 PM in reply to: briancoward

briancoward wrote:
....without Layer Previous it's impossible to work with large layer sets
Have you tried layer states?

Valued Contributor
briancoward
Message 6 of 20 (1,971 Views)

11-08-2010 08:29 AM in reply to: nestly

Yeah.... that's been my work around for now.  There are just a few extra clicks to get your layers back to where you want them.  The Layer previous was much quicker.  Plus, if your going to offer a tool, it should really just work. Should it? 

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 7 of 20 (1,966 Views)

11-08-2010 09:02 AM in reply to: briancoward

How does LAYERP not work? It only restores that last Layer setting change so perhaps you are triggering another less obvious layer setting change when it stops working.

I use it all the time in R2011 and that is about the only time is "does not work" because I triggered another layer settings change (like make another layer active).

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
LeafRiders
Message 8 of 20 (1,910 Views)

11-23-2010 05:18 PM in reply to: pendean

Why do people insist on providing work arounds to something that has always worked in AutoCAD. This needs to be fixed upon the next hotfix or service pack. LAYER PREVIOUS is NOT working in 2011. These boards would be a lot more useful if people came with solutions rather than a way to justify AutoCAD not working properly. If anyone has layer previous working properly and you come across this thread maybe just let the rest of us know so maybe we can try a reinstall, or install this or that. Seems to be the solution for everything lately.

*Pro
nestly
Message 9 of 20 (1,900 Views)

11-23-2010 06:04 PM in reply to: LeafRiders

kellym3001 wrote:

Why do people insist on providing work arounds to something that has always worked in AutoCAD. This needs to be fixed upon the next hotfix or service pack. LAYER PREVIOUS is NOT working in 2011. These boards would be a lot more useful if people came with solutions rather than a way to justify AutoCAD not working properly. If anyone has layer previous working properly and you come across this thread maybe just let the rest of us know so maybe we can try a reinstall, or install this or that. Seems to be the solution for everything lately.

There's nothing in this topic to define a specific problem.  As far as I can tell, LayerPrevious works like it's supposed to. 

LAYERP

Summary

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Undoes changes you have made to layer settings such as color or linetype. If settings are restored, a message is displayed: “Restored previous layer states.”

When you use Layer Previous, it undoes the most recent change using either the Layer control or the Layer Properties Manager. Every change you make to layer settings is tracked and can be undone by Layer Previous.

LAYERP (Layer Previous) does not undo the following changes:

• Renamed layers: If you rename a layer and change its properties, Layer Previous restores the original properties but not the original name.
  • Deleted layers: If you delete or purge a layer, using Layer Previous does not restore it.
  • Added layers: If you add a new layer to a drawing, using Layer Previous does not remove it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a sample drawing, or a sequence of events when the command doesn't work as expected, so those of us that haven't experienced any problems can help determine if there's really a bug, or if the problem is setup specific.

*Expert Elite*
LeafRiders
Message 10 of 20 (1,898 Views)

11-23-2010 06:16 PM in reply to: nestly

Command: _layiso
Current setting: Hide layers, Viewports=Off
1 found

Layer G-VPRT-NPLT has been isolated.
Command:
Command:
Command: _LayerP
*No previous layer status*
Command: 

Not sure what else to display. Layer previous has always worked after an isolate, etc. etc. and worked similar to the undo command except layer specific only. LAYISO should be considered, as always a layer state that can be referenced through layerP.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.