Did you mean: 

Keep blocks/xrefs from being editted/exploded Autocad 2012

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jrm_1971
1361 Views, 11 Replies

Keep blocks/xrefs from being editted/exploded Autocad 2012

Using ACAD 2012 full version

I need to send a dwg file to someone by e-mail but need to keep them from editting/exploding/etc it. I have tried a test on the method described below and it does not work:

Set XEDIT = 0 in the child drawing(s) and create blocks in the child with "Allow Exploding" unchecked.

Start a new drawing and Attach the child into this new parent drawing as an XREF.

This is all fine and does not allow editting/exploding. However, when I XBind or eTransmit, it undoes all this fancy prevention. Even with XEDIT = 0 in the parent.

I know at one time in like ACAD 2000, it was possible to prevent someone from editting/exploding a drawing e-mailed to them. It's been a while. Maybe we used a LISP routine or some features native to ACAD. I just don't remember. Help!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
nestly2
in reply to: jrm_1971

As far as I know, there is no way to lock down a DWG file so that it can not be edited/exploded. Perhaps send it in a non-AutoCAD format (ie PDF)
Message 3 of 12
jrm_1971
in reply to: nestly2

Already sent as PDF. They want it in dwg
Message 4 of 12
Jay_B

Not sure what your specific concern is but we include legal disclaimer statements when sending data to outside parties.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 12
jrm_1971
in reply to: Jay_B

My specific concern is this client running off to the fabricator with an unapproved drawing. I have included a text block "For Approval Only/Not for Manufacturing". The client has not satisfied their obligation of approving the drawing. I do not want them to edit/explode/erase the text at this submittal.

So is there a way to prevent eTransmit from undoing the editting prevention method I described?

Message 6 of 12
RockyBrown4134

I'm not sure how many blocks that are in the file, but this may help. Open each of the blocks in the block editor, open the properties manager and set the "Allow Exploding" to "No". To my knowledge, I don't think there is a variable setting for this.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 7 of 12
dmfrazier

Anyone with AutoCAD can undermine any protections you put on a DWG file (even the ones you describe in your first post).

Maybe it's too late in this particular case, but it sounds like you (your company) need(s) to make it a policy (part of your contract) that delivery of DWG files is contingent upon written approval based on a preliminary "print" (PDF or other).  If you have these concerns about this client, it seems sensible to me that you either get an agreement or find a different client who is willing to treat you with the respect that any businessperson deserves.   If you want assurance they will not misuse a supplied DWG file (which is essentially "source code"), either don't do business with them or insist on their approval based on a print with the information they "need" to approve the design.  If they "need" the DWG file to perform the work, then you "need" a sign of their approval before you supply it.

Bear in mind also that you have a record of what was transmitted in your email sent items.

One more thing (I don't think has been mentioned yet), if the client wants DWG for the ability to take distances or otherwise get more info than what is written on the "print", perhaps DWF would satisfy that "need".

Message 8 of 12

Oh how we often forget. I did't remember about this post until I saw it last night.

Please read a previous post of mine http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/Blocks-Allow-Exploding-Option-System-Variab....

Patchy, Autodesk Expert Elite, routed me to a link where Gilles Chanteau, Autodesk Expert Elite, wrote a LISP code to make blocks explodeable.
I changed the command name, copied the code, and changed the vlax-true statment to vlax-false, to make blocks non-explodeable.

I don't know if it works with xref'ed blocks, since I have not tested it. But for blocks inside a drawing, I works great for me. I have attached the code.

Thanks again Giles! 

;   NONEXPL-P
; Original Code writtrn by Gilles Chanteau, Autodesk Expert Elite.
;
; Thanks Gilles Chanteau
;
(defun c:nonexpl-p ()
 (vl-load-com)
 (vlax-for b (vla-get-Blocks
 (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-acad-object))
 )
 (or (wcmatch (vla-get-Name b) "`**_Space*")
 (vla-put-explodable b :vlax-false)
 )
 )
 (princ)
 )
;
;
(defun c:expl-p ()
 (vl-load-com)
 (vlax-for b (vla-get-Blocks
 (vla-get-ActiveDocument (vlax-get-acad-object))
 )
 (or (wcmatch (vla-get-Name b) "`**_Space*")
 (vla-put-explodable b :vlax-true)
 )
 )
 (princ)
 )  

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 9 of 12
pendean
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

... and a quick search on the internet will reveal the original code to 'allow exploding' from Giles, they run it, and everyone is back to square one again.

As noted earlier, anything you do in AutoCAD can be undone in AutoCAD: unless one assumes the others are total internet illiterates then you might have a small window of ignorance-based bliss.
Message 10 of 12
RockyBrown4134
in reply to: pendean

My apologies for misleading.

Rocky Brown
Message 11 of 12
jggerth1

If you're open to a third party solution, you can look into CadLock.

But -- the contractual approach suggested by dmfrazier is a better long term solution.  Technological bandaids are not a replacement for goor business processes.

Message 12 of 12
radar696
in reply to: jggerth1

It would seem to me that sending an actual DWG file would constitute a delivery of end product.

So if they are going to give you partial pay for a partial delivery then go ahead.

Otherwise find a work around.

Is there a contract involved?

Has it been fully reviewed to see if this situation is covered?

Or at least get an actual answer as to why they really need a DWG file and not just a PDF.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost