Did you mean: 

jerky pickbox in only one drawing

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
rewis
649 Views, 30 Replies

jerky pickbox in only one drawing

I have read everything I can find in the search results and tried a lot of suggestions but my issue is a jerky pickbox in only one drawing file and it just started after working in this file for a month or so. All other files are fine. Everything I have found relates to the problem in all files and not just one. Is there anything that is in this particular file that would cause this?

It's to the point that the file is useless and over a month of work is lost. I've tried copy/paste into a new file for the lack of knowing anything else to do.

I really need to salvage this file. I make frequent copies of all files as I progress with them and unfortunately I copied this file just before the issue arose and that copy file is also contaminated. I've learned now that you can backup files too often!

Anyone have a suggestion? Please.

Thanks,

Russell

30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
rewis
in reply to: rewis
Message 22 of 31
doni49

It looks like it worked. I can download the file. I just have no way to open it until Monday morning.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 23 of 31
rewis
in reply to: doni49

That's great.

Message 24 of 31
doni49

I downloaded your file and when I tried to use commands that require PICKING an element (such as list, copy etc), I experienced the "jerky pickbox" -- it certainly makes it difficult to select an object.  And I confirmed that snap is turned off.

Next I created a brand new dwg file (based on OUR template though), inserted the drawing as though it were a block (with EXPLODE on) and no longer experienced the problem.  I then closed and reopened the new file.

I still don't experience the problem.  I then closed and restarted acad then opened the new file.  Still don't have the problem.

Can you post your template file?  I'll try inserting this into a file created using YOUR template and see what happens.

EDIT:  We're using AutoCAD Civil 3D here and I don't have a template file here that doesn't include C3D styles and such otherwise, I'd just post a copy of the file that I was able to get to work.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 25 of 31
doni49

Did you ever try deleting everything from the file as suggested in http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2010-2011-2012-DWG/jerky-pickbox-in-only-one-drawing/m-p/45345...?

Just do so in a copy of the file and save it after doing so -- just don't purge yet.  I want to know if it has anything to do with the filesize.  When you delete everything the size should drop considerably.

EDIT:  never mind -- I just now saw your reply to that suggestion.

Don Ireland

Message 26 of 31
rewis

I cannot attach the template because I get an error message stating that .dwt is not a valid extension. Can I change the extension to .dwg and you change it back to .dwt?

Russell

Message 27 of 31
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

I cannot attach the template because I get an error message stating that .dwt is not a valid extension. Can I change the extension to .dwg and you change it back to .dwt?

Russell

Yes.  That would be fine.

Don Ireland

Message 28 of 31
rewis

Don I

Template

Message 29 of 31
doni49

This is very odd in deed!  When I create a new dwg file using OUR template and then insert your dwg file, it works fine (as best I can tell).   But when I use your template (brown) file to create a new dwg file and then insert your file, it goes all jerky again -- and I don't even have to close the file either.

Here's the file that I created based on OUR template and your data.  See if you still experience the jerkiness in this file.  Obviously due to all of our C3D stuff, this probably won't be good for you to use in production -- but it's all part of the troubleshooting process.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zt4bsf0lm1vfgia/X_eK0EMKS1

Don Ireland

Message 30 of 31
rewis

I opened your file and all is good. I created a new file with the template I sent to you and pasted your file into it and all worked fine. I closed and reopened the new file I just created several times and all worked fine. I closed AutoCAD and reopened it and my newly created file and still all worked fine.

This is great because I can continue to work with the drawing and all is not lost. I cannot thank you enough for all the time and effort you have put in to help me. Truly a life saver.

Do you want to pursue this issue or mark it off as a mystery?

Russell

Message 31 of 31
doni49

I'm pleased to hear that I was able to help.  I'm just "paying it forward".  I've been helped immensely over the years and when I can, I try to give back to the community.

I do have one suggestion if you're going to use the file that I provided for you.

Run a PURGEALL on it until there's nothing left to purge.  That should get rid of the extraneous C3D stuff.  Then when you insert it into your new file, anything from your template will be back in the file again.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost