AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
bvanallen
Message 1 of 15 (836 Views)
Accepted Solution

Isolate by Color- need how to steps

836 Views, 14 Replies
06-12-2012 07:09 AM

OK, I know this topic has many posts with many, many replies but apparently it is difficult to get one with a straight forward how to answer.

How do you isolate all drawings objects by color?

-I've tried qselect but can't get it to append or exclude selected items from a current selection set.

-I've tried filter but changing the filter to color, adding that color, then applying it still filters out everything except for one random item that isn't even the correct color.

-Trying to use properties will not isolate those colors, it will change all selected items to what ever color you choose.

-The lisp command SSX doesn't appear to work either.

-All other posts I've looked at are esentially the same stuff being repeated or a not descriptive enough to be helpfull.

I'm sure one of thes steps should work but that I'm probably not following the correct steps to isolate everything. The is simply no real how to process posted anywhere. Can anyone go into further detail than just sayint to try a command or two? What are the actual steps needed to get this to work???

FYI, Just assume items (lines,text and blocks) are drawn on layer 0 with individual color overrides. I need to get all items turned off except for the ones that have a specific color (including the blocks).

Thanks.

Pendean,

YES, thank you very much. The Youtube post showed me what I was doing wrong.

FYI, below are the steps for HOW to filter items by color.

1. Type FILTER at the command line.

2. Delete andy filters listed in the top selection list.

3. Under Select filter, click the pull down arrow & choose the filter type you need. (color)

4. Click the select button & choose the color you need.

5. Click the add to list button.

6. Click the Apply button (not self explanatory but this is to window all objects).

7. Window all objects in your drawing & enter.

Sucess; all blue objects will be highlighted regardless of the layer they are on.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 15 (830 Views)

Re: Isolate by Color- need how to steps

06-12-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: bvanallen

If you have vertical autodesk products (not plain autocad) you can isolate by color, but still can not isolate color in a block.

Mentor
bvanallen
Message 3 of 15 (823 Views)

06-12-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy,

I do have Autocad MEP 2012 at my station (though our office is slowly migrating from MEP 2010). Do you know what the steps I can take to isolate just the lines/text are?

Also, the avi in the zip file was a blank 7 seconds of no sound and no picture. Can you re-attach it?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 4 of 15 (819 Views)

06-12-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: bvanallen

After using qselect and filter out the color, click on the light bulb at the lower right corner of the screen, it will isolate the entities that hightlighted.

Mentor
bvanallen
Message 5 of 15 (804 Views)

06-12-2012 08:18 AM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy,

No offense but I've seen the same reply in countless other posts. Exaxtly HOW do I go about using the FILTER & QSELECT commands??? What are the steps I need to take?

I've tried setting quick select to the entire drawing, multiple types. Properties are color=blue (or whatever one I need), and apply to include in the selection set (append to current is checked). This selects ALL objects in my drawing, not just the color I need.

My MEP 2012 doesn't have a light bulb icon in the lower right either. I have two similar icons though; one is for "hardware acceleration on" and the other is for "replace z value with currentl elevation". What command is the bulb icon supposed to run, Layer off?

Even if I choose the qselect to exclude from new selection set it still selects everything in my drawing. Clicking my layer off button seems to cancel my selection set any ways then prompts me to select a layer to be turned off. So that doesn't work. Again, I know what commands to run but HOW do I go though the proper steps to get this to work.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 6 of 15 (801 Views)

06-12-2012 08:28 AM in reply to: bvanallen

The command for it, is:       AecIsolateObjects

I do thing in different way, after Qselect and filter out whatever I wanted, I use GROUP command and choose P for previous. Then I do anything with this group.

Mentor
bvanallen
Message 7 of 15 (790 Views)

06-12-2012 09:06 AM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy,

That sounds great, but again HOW do I go about using the FILTER & QSELECT commands???????? What are the steps, is it something like this?

1. Type FILTER at the command line.

2. Change select filter setting to color.

3. Change X= to what ever color you need.

4. Click Apply

5. Window all objects in your drawing.

6. Filter automatically exits. A selection set of all items in my drawing seems to have been created,but nothing is highlighted.

The above actually lists the steps on HOW to run the filter command, not just telling you to run it. Unfortunatley as you can see step 6 automatically exits without leaving anything selected. I need more info other than just simply telling me to run the filter command. What am I doing wrong here?

What about the QSELECT command? HOW do you run this in tandem with the FILTER command. Please don't just tell me to run it after FILTER again- that doesn't help.

Running the GROUP command, Previous- this selects everything in my drawing. This isn't what I need. What step am I doing wrong?

Please, I need step by step instructions on HOW to isolate by color. Saying run FILTER, QSELECT, and GROUP doesn't give me any more info than the useless built-in help, that's why I'm asking here- I need more info please.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 8 of 15 (782 Views)

06-12-2012 09:17 AM in reply to: bvanallen

FILTER was made years ago before Qselect came out with Properties Pallete.

Filter has more options than Qselect.

Attach an example of your drawing, show which items you want to filter out, let's see if I can make snap shots to show if it can be done.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 15 (766 Views)

06-12-2012 10:12 AM in reply to: bvanallen

Not to sound mean, but not taking any classes is holding you back, this is not a training forum (although someone always jumps in). Consider trying a lot of free content out there (even free ones on YOUTUBE):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32tzRWmTGuE to get your started.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Mentor
bvanallen
Message 10 of 15 (765 Views)

06-12-2012 10:12 AM in reply to: Patchy

Patchy,

Attached is the most simple example I can give. The drawing has 3 lines drawn on layer 0. One line is by layer (white), the other two have color overrides (red & blue). I need to isolate only the blue line (with the other two lines turned off and not selected). This way I can change all blue objects to a different layer. It can be just the one line in this example or an entire building- it doesn't matter so long as I can isolate by just the color.

Regarding your last reply. That may be nice to know but it's actually quite useless to me. All I need is and actual explanation of HOW to use the commands!  It may be my fault, maybe I'm not being clear enough. Do you understand what I am asking for here?

I get you can use the FILTER, QSELECT, and GROUP commands, but I do not know what the steps are in order to use them correctly. It is not enough to just simply type in the commands, I need to know much more detailed information on the steps required to actually execute those commands properly. This is the HOW I keep asking for, I'm not sure  why I still haven't gotten it, and it is why I am getting so fustrated here!!! Sorry

Please, do you or anyone else know the actual steps required in order to properly exectue the command(s) for isolating even the most simplest objects by their color (regardless of whatever layer they may be on)? This really shouldn't be hard yet it has never been properly & fully answered in any of the other posts or in the built-in autocad help. Does anyone out there know HOW to do it???

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.