Did you mean: 

ISAVEPERCENT set to 0 turns off creation of *.bak files

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
OlorinFiresky
1762 Views, 5 Replies

ISAVEPERCENT set to 0 turns off creation of *.bak files

I was advised by another post here that we should have ISAVEPERCENT set to 0.  We have tested this and it resolved an issue we were experiencing.  However, it created another issue in that we no longer get a *.BAK file created.  These *.BAK files assist our users when they are experiencing crashes (happens often) to recover without losing work (we've suffered file corruptions from crashes) and we've found this to be a better solution than relying on the AutoSave for recovery.

So, if we can't set ISAVEPERCENT to 0, what is the next best setting to have it set to?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dmfrazier
in reply to: OlorinFiresky

Be aware that my comments are based on 2013, as I no longer have 2010 to check, but I don't think things have changed significantly.

ISAVEBAK is the variable that controls whether BAKs are produced with each save.  Set it to 1 to ensure BAKs are created.

ISAVEPERCENT should have no effect on whether BAKs are created.  This variable determines the amount of wasted space tolerated in a drawing file.  When it is set to 0, this just means that all saves are "full" saves (as compared to "incremental" saves).

And I would recommend turning on Autosave and setting the increment to 5 minutes.  Make sure SAVEFILEPATH is set to a local folder (see Options, Files tab, Automatic Save Files Location).

Message 3 of 6
pendean

That is not correct in AutoCAD 2012 or 2011 or 2008 or 2013 or 2014 or 2015: I don't have 2010 to test but your information is not correct. We've ALWAYS turned off ISAVEPERCENT and ALWAYS have BAK files created.

See DMFRAZIER's excellent post above, you might all be editing the wrong variable and not setting others correctly.
Message 4 of 6
OlorinFiresky
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks for the feed back folks.

It is very weird.  This is what I experienced:

1. I set ISAVEPERCENT to 0, and AutoCAD changed ISAVEBAK to 0. 
  2. I then went into options and ticked the "Create backup copy with each save" option it changed ISAVEPERCENT back to 50 I then changed ISAVEPERCENT back to 0 again and ISAVEBAK changed back to 0 again.
  3. I then set ISAVEBAK to 1 via the command line and it seemed to resolve the issue

So, it seems to be an ordering issue.  If you set ISAVEPERCENT to 0, you must then set ISAVEBAK to 1 and everything should be fine.  Weird and curious behaviour.

Message 5 of 6
dmfrazier

You're welcome, and I'm glad you got it sorted out.

But FYI: What you have described is not "normal" behavior.  There is ordinarily no interplay between these two variables. Changing one or the other should not "spontaneously" or automatically change the other.

Message 6 of 6
OlorinFiresky
in reply to: dmfrazier

Must be something unique to our environment. Oh well, at least now I know how to fix it. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost