AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
JamaL9722060
Message 1 of 10 (852 Views)

Is the ribbon more practical than the toolbars, pull down menus?

852 Views, 9 Replies
12-29-2011 11:14 AM

Is the ribbon more practical than the toolbars, pull down menus?

I’m not sure why the trend now in many of the software is to switch to ribbon! Sometimes, I feel that the ribbon is slowing down the performance as the commands that we use can’t be reached directly, for example:

1. Trim/extend commands are built in the same place which requires sometimes one more click to reach one of them
  2. Not all the commands are built in the ribbon like the REGEN
  3. Zoom Window is built in the View tab which means that we need first to go to the view tab then to go to the command! How does this help the performance?!!!
  4. Some commands now are very confusing: same command may have now two different behaviors! For example, the command “dimtedit” in the ribbon has different behavior from the one on the toolbar!!!

I know that within the ribbon we can still have: pull down menus, command lines and toolbar,. but the same time, what is the idea behind having the ribbon as a future trend?

Thank you

Regards

Clip_152.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------
Jamal NUMAN, GIS and Civil Engineer, MSc
e-mail: JamaL9722060@yahoo.com
P.O.Box: 731, Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine.
Software: AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD C3D, AutoCAD M3D, Revit
Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bits),
Firefox 20.0,
Kaspersky 2013.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 10 (850 Views)

Re: Is the ribbon more practical than the toolbars, pull down menus?

12-29-2011 11:39 AM in reply to: JamaL9722060

Hi,

>> I feel that the ribbon is slowing down the performance as the

>> commands that we use can’t be reached directly

Yes, you are right, there are more mouse-clicks necessary with ribbons compared to toolbars.

And now the famous word BUT my two main arguments:

• Comparing newcomers getting teached to AutoCAD ==> the ones starting with ribbons learn AutoCAD faster (a lot) than people starting with the classic-workspace.
  • Ten years ago the number of buttons are I think 20% compared to commands we can now use. Putting now so much commands/options onto the screen results in a quite small graphics area (or raises the minimum system requirements to dual-screen what makes laptops useless). At least thinking a few years more and once more commands get doubled/tripped/... there must be any type of new interface.

So the conclusion: a few more mouse-clicks compared to a lot more commands placed and compressed within 3 button-lines let me compare to a workplace looking tidy or not (my favorite is tidy. :smileywink:

Witrhin AutoCAD (better than e.g. MS-Office) everyone can chose his version of user interface, that's what makes everyone happy at least.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 10 (837 Views)

12-29-2011 07:55 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

After a little minor customization (mostly just juggling a few commonly used panels to a personal home tab), I am faster with the ribbon than toolbars and have more screen area.  One of our third-party applications includes a ribbon tab which replaces about three times the areas worth of toolbars.

Of course, nobody *has* to use the ribbon.  There are still many UI options available.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 4 of 10 (817 Views)

12-30-2011 09:30 AM in reply to: dgorsman

When the Ribbon first appeared in AutoCAD 2009, it was there in your face, with the other good stuff we love hidden away or turned off. That meant anyone trying to upgrade and keep on working was in for a lot of grief (at least until they could find out how to get the menus etc back). For the 2010 release the Powers That Be corrected this oversight by including the option to show the menu etc when using the newer version for the first time -- a friendlier approach to those transitioning from old to new.

Some version of the Ribbon is being used in most if not all of the rest of autodesk's products, so some familiarity/interoperability is probably in the marketing strategy. To go from AutoCAD to Inventor or revit for example, shouldn't be all that scary now (of course it probably wasn't scary when all was pre-Ribbon). The trend seems to be that more and more firms are moving toward their use. So the Ribbon is here for the foreseeable future. I recommend having new with old, so you can still be productive as long as you learn how to use the new and wean yourself off of the old. The next generation is coming into the workforce with this new skillset already.

At least AutoCAD does allow a lot of customization. A lot of my own resembles flyouts with large, readable icons...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
Mentor
JamaL9722060
Message 5 of 10 (803 Views)

12-31-2011 01:09 AM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Thank you all for your the comments. There are quite helpful.

For me, I think that the toolbars are the most efficient way to work with the AutoCAD. In this case, all the commands are living around us and no need to spend more time to reach them through other tabs. The graphic space is still reasonable as the screens are getting bigger even with the laptops…we have now 17 inches and more!

For the time being considering that the ribbon is the future trend, I think that the combination between ribbon, toolbars, pull-down menus and command line is the best solution. It is very practical to access certain commands in four ways (ribbon, toolbars, pull-down menus and command line)…this way, the user can still choose which way is the best to accelerate the performance! For example, accessing certain commands in four ways (like RECTANG) makes the software quite practical.

I think that there is no one unique way that can replace ribbon, toolbars, pull-down menus and command line…this is way we still need to have the option to use all of them together at a time!.

Moreover, I think that some very frequently used commands should be transferred from the View Tab to Home Table particularly the 2D navigation…!

Second issue in ribbon is that the 3D has its own different interface! I don’t think that having the 3D in a separate interface is not practical as we are going to spend more time to know where some commands are! For example, I spent considerable time to know where is the Properties Tab while working in the 3D modeling! I expected it to be in the Home tab but it is not there!

All the best

Jamal

Clip_153.jpg

Clip_154.jpg

Clip_155.jpg

Jamal NUMAN, GIS and Civil Engineer, MSc
e-mail: JamaL9722060@yahoo.com
P.O.Box: 731, Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine.
Software: AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD C3D, AutoCAD M3D, Revit
Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bits),
Firefox 20.0,
Kaspersky 2013.
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 10 (793 Views)

12-31-2011 05:59 AM in reply to: JamaL9722060

JamaL9722060 wrote:

I’m not sure why the trend now in many of the software is to switch to ribbon! 

Microsoft!  If you were a CAD software company would you want to take the chance of your company becoming the next Pro/E?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2015 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Contributor
toolbox2
Message 7 of 10 (763 Views)

01-03-2012 06:07 AM in reply to: JamaL9722060

I couldn't get on with the Ribbon when introduced in 2009, not because it was a UI change but because of the dismal performance of it. Finally, three years later, AutoDesk seem to have sorted this out with 2012.

I now use the Ribbon although I'm not really sure whether I am faster. I like the context sensitive nature of it. A third-party application I infreqently use is now understandable because the large buttons convey the meaning of the command a lot better.

I still have 2 or 3 toolbars floating out there (AutoCAD already has a "Quick Access Toolbar" so toolbars aren't all that bad). I still have the drop-down menus. I may even learn a few more keyboard commands - I was recently trying help someone at his PC and was looking for the Move command. He simply said "M". "Move". He had a point - the "M" key is always is the same place on the keyboard no matter what butchering AutoDesk does to their software.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 10 (761 Views)

01-03-2012 06:17 AM in reply to: toolbox2

Like the others, I have completely customized the Ribbon (I do a little bit at a time as I work in it) to remove content I never use (or just simply type as a shortcut), and add content I use but not constantly (or that I do not type). I also dock the ribbon on the side (not the top), turn on MENUBAR (which is customized as well), and keep on working without interruption.

IMHO, as an old dog who had more custom toolbars than you could ever use, the transition to Ribbons starting in R2010 has been painless and not a handicap at all. And as noted, younger users find it infinitely more friendly than the Classic Workspace and toolbars.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 9 of 10 (749 Views)

01-03-2012 09:50 AM in reply to: pendean

I still have "stuff" on my GUI (i guess it's GUI stuff) that I know I still have to clean up. But I still have some toolbars and the menu and command line and ribbon. I mostly type command aliases with one hand whilst mousing with the other. As I have come up with a Ribbon version of a given flyout, I have removed the same command icon(s) from the toolbar, to force myself to use (and get used to) the Ribbon version. I rarely move off of my own Home tab because I have my basic 3D, views, viewports etc stuff on it. It's definitely an evolutionary thing, in the quest to maintain proficency and productivity! :smileyhappy:

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 10 (730 Views)

01-03-2012 12:39 PM in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Taking full advantage of Workspaces goes a long way to helping keep screen clutter down too: have more than one if you have many varied regular long tasks in AutoCAD. There is no need to cram everything into one workspace.

Hand-on-Mouse and Hand-on-Keyboard AutoCAD User here too.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.