AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
MRiemenCAD
Message 1 of 10 (3,171 Views)

Insufficient Memory -- Really?

3171 Views, 9 Replies
01-09-2012 02:24 PM

Was working with a file that isn't overly large, but does have 5 xref's feeding into it. Each of the Xref's are manageble size as well. (+/- 2mb). AutoCAD 2012 has started now to crash after about 1 minute of functioning telling me there is "insufficient memory..."

My machine is a has a Core i5 processor, 64 bit Windows 7, 8gb Ram. As far as i'm concerned, unless i try to open an entire buildig in AutoCAD all at once, I should never have insufficient memory. Expecially for files that 2002 could open easily. 

Anyone have any thoughts about a setting, recovery procedure or similar that would keep this from happening? I'm running AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 (..i'm betting it has something to do with mechanical..)

Any help is appreciated. 

Insufficient Memory Screenshot

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (3,162 Views)

Re: Insufficient Memory -- Really?

01-09-2012 02:51 PM in reply to: MRiemenCAD

The error message has little to do with the amount of RAM installed in your case, and a lot to do with what is being used up (and apps using it all up) at the time of the crash.

By chance is your anti-virus actively set to scan AutoCAD, it's files, and it's activities? That's usually the #1 culprit.

Win7 also has free tools to monitor system usage and crash reports: are you able to tap them for clues?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
MRiemenCAD
Message 3 of 10 (3,104 Views)

01-11-2012 11:57 AM in reply to: pendean

Took a couple of days to test and monitor my workstations performance. Getting the same message at times now on other files. The attached Image shows a crash where my system is only running at 50% capacity and i get an "..insufficient memory" error.

AVG is excluded from scans of our AutoDesk directories and wasn't running any system scans at the time of the crash either.

Other thoughts?

Insufficient Memory.jpg

Other notes: Each of the drawings that I've had trouble with so far have had Xref's within them.

Product Support
VinodBalasubramanian
Message 4 of 10 (3,059 Views)

01-13-2012 12:05 AM in reply to: MRiemenCAD

Hi,

Please check the following article on out of memory issues,

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2862058&linkID=9240617

Hope it helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
Valued Contributor
MRiemenCAD
Message 5 of 10 (3,046 Views)

01-13-2012 05:52 AM in reply to: VinodBalasubramanian

thank you for posting this arcticle, however none of the issues it covers seems to apply to my circumstances. My machine is 64bit wtih 8gb of ram. The files in question do not contain large images, but do contain small Xref's. My system monitor never went above 50% capacity as shown in the image i posted.

Any other thoughts?

Valued Contributor
llorden4
Message 6 of 10 (3,039 Views)

01-13-2012 06:46 AM in reply to: MRiemenCAD

When I see that error I find it's typically a Windows setting and not AutoCAD.  Check your virtual memory manager, I suggest one of two options.  If you have a fixed number set for virtual memory, increase that number.  If you don't want to guess, select the option to have Windows manage the virtual memory for you.  This has generally solved all my memory issues.

Virtual Memory.png

Valued Contributor
MRiemenCAD
Message 7 of 10 (3,018 Views)

01-13-2012 02:35 PM in reply to: llorden4

Thanks for posting. Unfortunatly my virtual memory settings seem to be set properly.

I've done some more experimenting. I ran into another file where this same issue arose today. I partial loaded the file without Xref's and isolated 1 of the 3 Xref's that had errors apparently written into it. The Xref in question wasnt ref-edited in place nor even opened during the time when the host file had the error. I auditted the Xref'd file, it repaired 23 errors and then was able to reload it into it's host.

This prompts a question for me. I've noticed preivous versions of Mechanical havn't handled management of Xref's well. Files that we are intending to edit via the mechanical structure system sometimes would have locks put on them. I'm wondering if 2012 isn't still having problems with files that are referernced into them? 

Product Support
VinodBalasubramanian
Message 8 of 10 (2,988 Views)

01-15-2012 05:00 PM in reply to: MRiemenCAD

As for as I am aware of, AutoCAD Mechanical handles xrefs in the same way as AutoCAD does. You could use the reference manager tool that comes with ACM 2012 to check for missing xrefs and run a report to identify the problem with xrefs. This tool should help you to diagnose the issue better.

Hope it helps.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
Valued Contributor
MRiemenCAD
Message 9 of 10 (2,743 Views)

04-25-2012 03:00 PM in reply to: MRiemenCAD

P.S.

Still at times find the problem arising, however it's only due to AutoCAD Mechanical. Files that spawn this error can be opened within core AutoCAD with no Mechanical modules loaded.

fun..:manfrustrated:

Valued Contributor
MRiemenCAD
Message 10 of 10 (2,701 Views)

04-28-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: MRiemenCAD

Still don't understand how I can have drawings crash with an "insufficient memory" notice when I don't exhaust my physical memory....

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.