Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting PDF into ACAD 2013

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bouyscout
1680 Views, 5 Replies

Inserting PDF into ACAD 2013

I have been able to insert a PDF into an AutoCAD 2013 dwg but only as an attachment.  This seems to be similar to xref but I can't seem to bind the pdf to the dwg.  Therefore when I send the dwg to a client and they open it, they only see the drawing format and no PDF attachment.  Sending the PDF as a separate file is not an acceptable solution.

Is there a way to insert a PDF and bind it to the dwg so an external reference file is not required?

I'm not interested in converting the PDF to a dxf or any other format.  Just interested in knowing whether there is a way to insert and bind a PDF to an ACAD dwg.

Thanks in advance.

bouyscout

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
bouyscout
in reply to: bouyscout

Sorry, just noticed this is the 2010, 2011, 2012 board.  My bad.

bouyscout

Message 3 of 6
dbroad

Not a good method.  The only method possible is to convert the pdf to an image and then to embed the image. Why is an attachment of any concern?

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 4 of 6
bouyscout
in reply to: dbroad

Ok, thanks for the reply.  Was hoping for a different answer but had concluded the same.

We have to submit vendor drawings to our client in an ACAD dwg format with the client's format.  Vendor refuses to provide a dwg or dxf of their equipment outline dwgs.  Some of the vendors will supply the outline drawing on client's format but only as a pdf.  Client will not accept a pdf so, if I can put the pdf in a dwg they'll take it.  Client wants to archive the drawings as dwgs in their document management system; a separate "linked" file is not conducive to this.

Some of the raster formats are either huge or highly pixilated and resolution is pretty bad.  Inserting the PDF directly into a drawing is best solution if it can be done.

Regards,

bouyscout

Message 5 of 6
pendean

That's what the picture tool (snapshot) in most PDF viewers is for: clipping an image of the PDF to the clipboard for pasting. Lots of limitations and issues are introduced.
Work with your client to find a mutually acceptable solution that doesn't fight modern AutoCAD abilities.
Message 6 of 6
dbroad

Unless they are extremely complicated, which they are about 5% of the time, I just trace them over (to scale, using their dimensions) and convert their products into 3 blocks (ortho views with _P, _F, and _R suffixes).  Then they're in my library and from then on, I benefit immensely.  PDF attachments slow the drawing down.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost