Did you mean: 

insert with modified DIMSCALE

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
m_rogoff
945 Views, 8 Replies

insert with modified DIMSCALE

I draw details at different scales. I have a routine to change the dimscale and ltscale.

I have a drop down menu that runs a routine to insert a selected object at the current dimscale   

(setq SCL
1.0)(setq SCL(getvar "DIMSCALE"))

However, my company is switching over to Auto Cad LT, and was wondering if it is possible to incorporate this into a macro. Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: m_rogoff

Have you ann considered switching to annotative text/dimstyles? It's designed to overcome the old-school methods of rescaling like that.

There is no LISP in LT: what does the rest of that lisp look like? What is SCL doing elsewhere?
Message 3 of 9
dmfrazier

Yes, it can be possible to "convert" relatively simple LISP programs to menu macros.  However, any LISP routine that stores and then uses variables (as your example does) will be difficult/impossible to reproduce in a macro.

In addition to the previously suggested "annotative" functionality, you might also investigate the use of Tool Palettes to replace your pulldown menus.  Block insertion tools on a palette give you the ability to specify scale factors in the properties of the tool, as illustrated in the image below from one of the "built-in" block tools:

BlockToolProperties.PNG 

(DIMSCALE is one of the options included in the Auxiliary scale property.)

Message 4 of 9
m_rogoff
in reply to: pendean

Dean, please bear with me as I am new to this company and the person that wrote this routine is no longer here. I am aware that LT does not support lisp, hence the conversion to macro.

The script is located in an *.MNS file. Will this be compatible with LT? There is a custom pull down menu in Auto Cad, and when a sub category is chosen (such as "WOOD") a menu with images pops up (see attached pictrue). I select the block I want and it gets inserted on the correct Dimscale. 

This is at the very top of the *.MNS:

[Wood]$I=HLI7 $I=* 

This is the script line in the *.MNS file (the block name is "WD24"):

**HLI7
[Symbol Library - Wood]
[HLI(wd24,2x4)]^C^C-INSERT;WD24;\(setq SCL 1.0)(setq SCL(getvar "DIMSCALE"));;0

This is the macro in CUI:

$I=HLI7 $I=*  

Thanks in advance

Message 5 of 9
dmfrazier

What you are describing (in words and images) is a "Legacy" (= nearly defunct) Image Tile Menu.  This older interface element was very useful in that it gave users the ability to select a block (or "symbol") based on an image of it stored in a slide library.  Once these menus were set up, they worked well, but changes were relatively difficult.

There is a little bit of LISP in the "script" (macro), but it is readily replaced by the Auxiliary scale functionality in the Tool Palette (as I mentioned before).  I would highly recommend duplicating this functionality with a custom Tool Palette, as you will not be able to run it in LT even if you do manage to somehow transfer it into the CUI.  Also, you will find Tool Palettes much easier to build, maintain, and use, and therefore of great value to you as a user and potential developer/administrator.

Let me (us) know if you'd like a step-by step on how to do this.  It's really quite easy and a valuable skill to have.

Message 6 of 9
m_rogoff
in reply to: dmfrazier

I haven't used Tool Palettes in a long time, but from what I remember, T.P.s are relatively easy to set up. Can the T.P. be implemented on a large scale (many users) and globally maintained on a server? ie: a change will update for 15 different users?

Does Auxiliary Scale need to be selected every time by the user, or can it be pre-defined?

Thanks

Message 8 of 9
m_rogoff
in reply to: pendean

thank you Dean. I got some homework to do 

Message 9 of 9
dmfrazier

"Can the T.P. be implemented on a large scale (many users) and maintained on a server? ie: a change will update for 15 different users?"

(Note that my comments are based on experience with AutoCAD 2013 and may not apply to earlier versions.)

The short answer is "Yes", but the long answer is that (in my experience) it is not as simple, straight-forward, and "reliable" as toolbars and pulldown menus have been.  One thing that can complicate TPs (depending on your chosen strategy) is that the user has the ability, even with managed, "shared" TPs, to independently modify their layout and organization in their workspace, so additions, deletions, and other changes you (as admin) make may not "appear" as you intend.

I have not read and/or viewed all of pendean's referenced resources (homework is right!), but I have the impression that there are a few options for implementing shared TPs.  The method I have been using (and the only one I can comment on) is to set up two Tool Palettes File Location paths in the user's profile: the first one is the default local TP folder for the user (so s/he can create/maintain his/her own) and the second one is the network path to the shared TPs I create/maintain, which is available (read only) to all AutoCAD users in the group. To create/maintain the shared TPs, I switch myself to an AutoCAD profile which has only the network path to the shared TPs, where I have admin rights.  With a few "quirks" now and then (which I think have to do with timing more than anything else), it seems to be working.

"Does Auxiliary Scale need to be selected every time by the user, or can it be pre-defined?"

Auxiliary Scale is one of the properties of a block insertion tool on a tool palette, so it is set (pre-defined) by the creator/admin.  To see this, right-click any one of the block insertion tools on any of the out-of-the-box Acad tool palettes.  The options are "None", "Dimscale", and "Plot scale".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost