AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
maureenc
Message 1 of 19 (53,993 Views)
Accepted Solution

insert Excel spread sheet into an autocad dwg.

53993 Views, 18 Replies
09-29-2010 11:01 AM

How do I insert an Excel spreadsheet into an AutoCAD 2011 dwg? Is it possible?

Valued Contributor
hvysteel
Message 2 of 19 (53,973 Views)

Re: insert Excel spread sheet into an autocad dwg.

09-29-2010 12:37 PM in reply to: maureenc

Type in TABLE at the command line.

Under the "Insert Options" area, select the "From Data Link" option, then press the button to the right of the drop down menu.  Next, you'll need to select the "Create a new Excel Data Link" and call it a name that makes sense to you.  Now you should be able to go browse for you Excel file (change the path type to your liking, similar to an Xref).  Press OK, then another window will pop up where you should be able to make a couple of edits to what you want to show, (entire sheet, range, etc).  Then basically you can press OK out of everything, and you should be able to insert it into your drawing.

Once it's inserted, any changes you make to the Excel file should follow through to the ACAD dwg file.  You may need to regen or update the datalink to do that.  Also, I've heard that if you save the dwg file to the 2007 format or older, you may lose the data link.

Hope this helps!

Mentor
smbrennan85
Message 3 of 19 (53,962 Views)

09-29-2010 01:02 PM in reply to: maureenc

There a few ways you can do this.  The newest way that I've found (and that I prefer) is this:

1. In Excel, copy the contents of a sheet you wish to display in AutoCAD.
  2. In AutoCAD, go to Paste -> Paste Special
  3. In the Paste Special Dialog box, on the left side check the circle for Paste Link, then as Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet
  4. Press OK.

I like this because it keeps all the formatting that you've already done in Excel.  It also acts as a reference, so if you make a change in excel, it will update in AutoCAD.

Shawn B.

Follow me on Twitter @That85CADGuy.  ||    Connect with me on Linkedin.
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to provide feedback.
To help improve the use of these Forums, please  Accept As Solution and  Give Kudos.

Valued Contributor
hvysteel
Message 4 of 19 (53,956 Views)

09-29-2010 01:22 PM in reply to: maureenc

Heh!  I totaly forgot about that method...much easier than mine.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
jamiej
Message 5 of 19 (53,473 Views)

01-05-2011 09:59 AM in reply to: maureenc

I do this same thing, but i am having a problem when i print to a PDF. I keep getting shadow lines. When i printed to PDF in 2008 i did not have any problems, but when i went to 2011 I get these lines all the time wheni print it out. Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 6 of 19 (53,466 Views)

01-05-2011 10:27 AM in reply to: jamiej

If you paste the Excel spreadsheet in as OLE then go to Options -> Plot and Publish, select Low graphics under OLE plot quality.

I would rather paste it in as a linked AutoCAD entity, which will become a AutoCAD table that will update when the source Excel file changes.  The result is the same as use Datalink method.

Valued Contributor
dbirchfield
Message 7 of 19 (53,459 Views)

01-05-2011 10:56 AM in reply to: hvysteel

Select the range within Excel that you want in AutoCAD, right-click and select 'Copy'.

Switch to your AutoCAD screen and select 'Paste Special' from the 'Edit' dropdown menu, use 'pastespec' at the command line or select 'Paste Special' through the ribbon (my ribbon is currently off).

Then select 'Paste Link' and select 'OK'

Place your spreadsheet where you want in and scale accordingly.

It's that simply and you don't need to use tables at all.

Valued Contributor
dbirchfield
Message 8 of 19 (53,457 Views)

01-05-2011 10:58 AM in reply to: dbirchfield

If you're having lines showing through the OLE change the properties 'plot quality' to 'High graphics (e.g. photograph)'

Valued Contributor
dbirchfield
Message 9 of 19 (53,450 Views)

01-05-2011 11:14 AM in reply to: dbirchfield

OK, that was weird.  I replied the way I did because when I opened this thread only the first two messages showed up and there were obviously others stating the same thing I did, but they didn't show up until after I replied to the first message.

Contributor
jamiej
Message 10 of 19 (53,442 Views)

01-05-2011 11:42 AM in reply to: maureenc

Ok I tried that changeing it to high and low, but if i have a table that is bigger than 25 rows they do not show up in the pdf file. if i do monocrome ithey do but i get the shadow lines. Also when I past them in as AutCAD entities, they would print correctly, but i get extra border lines that i can not get rid of, they are not present in the excel file but the come in the Autocad file, which is why I haven't been using that method. What sucks is it was all working fine in 2008, but when i upgraded to 2011 it no longer works the same. So for now i have to keep 2008 on my computer just so i can create these pdfs. When i print directly to the plotter evething is perfect. so it has something to do with the PDF conversion.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.