Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing layout from template not working? scale issues. (not 25.4 issue)

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
draftorb
15711 Views, 19 Replies

Importing layout from template not working? scale issues. (not 25.4 issue)

So everytime I import a layout from my template, the scale comes out wrong. The border is way too big, viewport, and the stamp is also way to big. It's being scaled by approximately by 12.28 times.

Here's what I can share:

- both drawings are in inches in both files

- all that 'insunits' stuff is set to zero in both files

- 'measurement' and 'measureinit' is set to zero in both files

- using AutoCAD 2012

- xyz scale is all at 1.00

- the titleblock itself almost imports correctly, only some of my att text doesn't come out properly as well.

As far as i can tell it's the command 'from template' issue. Because when i cut and paste the templates layout contents, it comes out fine. 

Thank you,

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
dmfrazier
in reply to: draftorb

"It's being scaled by approximately by 12.28 times."

Does this mean the scale factor property of the titleblock shows 12.28, or that the block is defined 12.28 times bigger than you expect?

"...the titleblock itself almost imports correctly, only some of my att text doesn't come out properly as well."

This suggests there might be an existing (competing) block definition in the destination DWG.

However, the 12.28X scale is confusing...

"...when i cut and paste the templates layout contents, it comes out fine."

This suggests otherwise.Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 20
draftorb
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thank you for responding. It comes out 12.28 times bigger than it should. The block imported is new to the drawing in the sense that there are no current/existing versions of it in the drawing. When i go inside the block editor it also became 12.28 times bigger there.

As for the last comment, I understand what I said doesn't really make sense 😞 , When I right click the tabs at the bottom and click "from template," that's where the issue is. I can cut and paste and not have this issue. I don't wanna sound lazy like I dont want to cut and paste, but i don't want to have to recreate my page setups everytime I need a specific title block and stamp.

Message 4 of 20
pendean

Time to post DWGs my friend so we all can look at them: template and your 'import to' file.
Message 5 of 20
steve216586

I wonder if the template you are pulling from for the import is an ISO and not ANSI one?

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 20
draftorb
in reply to: pendean

Hi everyone, 

(note: It won't let me attach a dwt probably for reasons I should know, but i attached it as a dwg named "template", so when If I mention dwt I am talking about that file, just to be clear)

Thanks for the help and sorry about the wait but here's the the template and the dwg file that's having the issue. I simplified the dwg and the dwt to bare bones just about. If you guys could take a look and give your opinion that'd be great. At this point the only solution I see, is to start all my templates from scratch.

So if you open the dwg, click "from template" on the tabs, click 11X17 from the template. You should see my issue then. Also, like I said earlier, If you copy and paste, it will be fine, but for me to copy and paste and set up the viewport everytime seems to defeat the purpose of making a preset template. 

I've also discovered something else today. The dwg has no issue bringing in a template file from another template, it's just this specific dwt it has issues with. If I use someone else's dwg, I can bring in the problematic templates no issue. So I don't know if this helps, but it seems these two specific dwg and dwt can behave with other files, they just don't get along with each other. Not sure if this last one made sense, but nothing about this is making sense to me...

Message 7 of 20
dmfrazier

When I go thru your procedure (after dismissing the Proxy Info box), this is what I get:

Command:  <Layout from Template>
Enter file name: ~
Duplicate definition of block 11x17BLOCKV1.1  ignored.

Apparently there is already a definition of the block in the destination file.  The block insert on the layout tab is certainly rather screwy looking.  This is what an insert of that block (with no scaling) looks like in model space:

ScrewyBlock.PNG

If I repeat the process after first purging the block, this is what I get:

11x17.PNG

Looks okay to me.

Message 8 of 20
steve216586

If I make the plot scale in Page Set-up Manager 1"=1'-0" instead of 1'-0"=1'-0" then everything is fine. I would explore that setting.

Message 9 of 20
draftorb
in reply to: steve216586

Hi dmfrazier,

Sorry about that, I forgot to purge the titleblock out for you all one last time before i sent it (i was testing it after i stripped it down initially). But what you have suggested was pretty much the first thing I tried when I encountered this. I've tried combinations of purge and audits, just purges and a single purge and I still end up with the same problems. 

Hi steve216586,

This has no impact on mine. Initially it was  1"=1'-0", I suspected the scale was the issue early on, so I was the one that changed it to 1'-0"=1'-0". Changing those scales had no effect. 

Considering I still have the issue and you guys don't, I am beginning to suspect the issue could be in my lisps and/or profile. Seems some people have import issues with outdated lisps. Will let everyone know if this is the issue.

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 20
draftorb

So I'm writing this message for future reference if anyone comes along looking for a solution or has a better solution.

I decided just to recreate my template into a new template file. The time it would take for me to find the solution, was probably not worth the time. That one file has some issues that are beyond me. I've tried everything mentioned above, and I realize it sounds sketchy that it works for other users but not me, but they have not worked with me, that's why I came to the forum. I do appreciate everyones input though and taking time to help me.

So like I was saying, I recreated my template. I was just hoping there would be someone that had come along the same issue and found a solution or aware of what obscure setting I may have activated...Just in case this happened again one day. I will mess around with the problem dwt in my spare time, and if i figure out what it is, I will post it. I mentioned I thought it might be outdated lisps, or my profile, but i detached the lisps and reverted back to the original profile, with no change in the end result...I've been having a few funny issues here and there over the past few months, that seem to be very uncommon...so I am beginning to believe a reinstall of AutoCAD might be the way to go.

Thanks for everyones help,

R

Message 11 of 20
draftorb

For anybody that might come along here with the same issue...here's a really easy solution i found. Type -dwgunits into the command line (include that hyphen), hit enter til it gives the option "scale objects from other drawings upon insert?" say "no". finish command. Problem gone. If problem persists, make sure the block is purged from the drawing, then try again.

Message 12 of 20
apstevenson

Thank you for taking the time to post this, you have help me and it's much appreciated.
Message 13 of 20
sdhmccloskey1

Hello Everyone,

We are having tremendous issues! We convert our Ai files to DWG files in Adobe Illustrator and then export them into AUTOCAD. The dimensions of the graphic's are shifting both smaller and larger. Does anyone know how I can correct this problem? It is causing tremendous delays in my manufacturing. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have a very nice day!

Blessings,

Stacy McCloskey

CEO 

AnyBling!, Inc.

Message 14 of 20
steve216586
in reply to: sdhmccloskey1

Once you convert an Ai file to a .dwg file, why are you then importing (you mention export but I think you meant import) to AutoCAD. You should be able to directly open the .dwg file as a vector /linework file in AutoCAD. It will not be a graphic file.

Message 15 of 20
sdhmccloskey1
in reply to: steve216586

Hello Steve,

I thank you so much for responding to me. I am sorry, They are converting an Adobe PDF file to a DWG file. The graphic's are changing sizes when converted. some get smaller and some get larger.

Have a nice day!

Blessing,

Stacy
Message 16 of 20
steve216586
in reply to: sdhmccloskey1

Hi Stacy, I think I understand. Maybe not.

In my experience I have had this problem before too. My solution is to always make sure the zoom factor is set to 100% in the .pdf viewer. If you need to clip a .pdf, again make sure it is 100% in the viewer when doing so. I have had experience where I had zoomed into a .pdf, (less than 100%), to clip the section I needed, and when I then inserted that clipped portion into AutoCAD, it came in at a strange scale.

I hope this helps with your problem. Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 20
kristofer

you are a lifesaver! Thanks!

Message 18 of 20
belbinbenny1

1) Use -DWGUNITS command

Drawing units:
1. Inches
2. Feet
3. Millimeters
4. Centimeters
5. Decimeters
6. Meters

select the units you want by corresponding number. Then press enter. That as the "Unit for length "

2) Drawing unit display formats:
1. Scientific
2. Decimal
3. Engineering
4. Architectural
5. Fractional

select the Drawing unit display formats you want by corresponding number. Then press enter. That as the "Linear display format"

3) Scale objects from other drawings upon insert? [Yes/No]

Enter 'n'

4) Match INSUNITS to drawing units? [Yes/No]

Enter 'n'.

@draftorb wrote:

So everytime I import a layout from my template, the scale comes out wrong. The border is way too big, viewport, and the stamp is also way to big. It's being scaled by approximately by 12.28 times.

Here's what I can share:

- both drawings are in inches in both files

- all that 'insunits' stuff is set to zero in both files

- 'measurement' and 'measureinit' is set to zero in both files

- using AutoCAD 2012

- xyz scale is all at 1.00

- the titleblock itself almost imports correctly, only some of my att text doesn't come out properly as well.

As far as i can tell it's the command 'from template' issue. Because when i cut and paste the templates layout contents, it comes out fine. 

Thank you,

Message 19 of 20
avflow

Thanks! It worked.

Message 20 of 20
Cristal.Williams

Do do I have to do this EVERY time on new drawings? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost