AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
mwaldenmeyer
Message 1 of 3 (229 Views)

Imported Illustrator and Sketch up geometry question

229 Views, 2 Replies
05-27-2011 05:23 AM

My companies design team use Illustrator and Sketchup to layout their concepts and present them and they usually convert to dwg for me to create the 3D models and construction drawings.

Any object that is not a line usually imports as a spline (which is not ideal for me) is there a way to get AutoCAD to default these to arcs or Polylines?

I also get some 3D models from Sketchup that import in as block references that are really clunky and when exploded become Polyface meshes.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this or at least clean it up without having to redraw it altogether?

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 2 of 3 (217 Views)

Re: Imported Illustrator and Sketch up geometry question

05-27-2011 11:37 AM in reply to: mwaldenmeyer

Illustrator creates those curves using spline method (control points, vertex direction, etc..) so that's how AutoCAD importing them.  But you can google a spline to pline lisp and do the conversion yourself.

What do you want the imported models from SketchUp to be?

Active Contributor
mwaldenmeyer
Message 3 of 3 (210 Views)

Re: Imported Illustrator and Sketch up geometry question

05-27-2011 01:09 PM in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks, I'll Google that.

I'm not sure about the sketchup issue. The designer uses it because it's so fast to illustrate a simple design but it doesn't translate into CAD very well. I, as a rule, redraw his files anyway due to the lack of precision in Sketchup. I cannot use his 3D models because, whereas it is a block reference, it contains a lot of geometry within it and tends to bog my machine down. Exploding it reverts it into faces and face feceted curves that require a redraw anyway.

I didn't know if anyone had come across this as well and found a simple solution to using the files.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.