AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

dawf85
Message 1 of 6 (8,092 Views)

Import a Dwg to another Dwg???

8092 Views, 5 Replies
04-27-2012 05:03 AM

Hi

Im pretty new to this and what i want to do isnt that difficult im sure but i cant work it out

I have my good almost complete Dwg which is my finished product

But now ive had to go collect more data and I need to add it to my good DWG

I isolated my new information, it is in its own dwg, now i need to get that dwg info into my main dwg

I tried import but doesnt seem to be that straight formward,

Help please, anything will be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 6 (8,091 Views)

Re: Import a Dwg to another Dwg???

04-27-2012 05:08 AM in reply to: dawf85

Hi,

use command _INSERT (>>>details<<<)

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
dawf85
Message 3 of 6 (8,085 Views)

04-27-2012 06:07 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Tried this as mentioned

INSERT

Pick dwg but it wants to know a bunch of other stuff which i dont know, rotation, insert point etc no idea..........................

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 6 (8,083 Views)

04-27-2012 06:18 AM in reply to: dawf85

Hi,

>> Pick dwg but it wants to know a bunch of other stuff which i dont know, rotation, insert point etc no idea

If you don't know where your external DWG has to be inserted into your current-model (and how it has to be scaled and rotated) I fear nobody else (here) will be able to help you. You have the two drawings, you have the monitor to look at, you know the content of these two drawings, whoever from the community here should better know how to join these two drawings?

If you don't know how the _INSERT command works, you find a >>>help<<< button in the dialog.

If you have found the file (within the _INSERT-dialog) ignore the rest of the dialog, just try it. You will then have the chance to _MOVE, _ROTATE, _SCALE the inserted drawing afterwards. If that also doesn't help show your drawings or ask someone near to you with knowledge about AutoCAD.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 5 of 6 (8,047 Views)

04-28-2012 07:06 PM in reply to: dawf85

You can do what you need to do in one of two ways:

• You can INSERT your new work into your base work.  It will become a block in your drawing);  or,
  • You can ATTACH your new work into your base.  In this case the inserted drawing will be an XREF. 

It’s your choice, but the process is essentially the same and the requirements are the same.  Both drawings must be drawn in the same units.  Most importantly both drawings need to be "indexed" to the same coordinate set.  If not, the inserted/attached work will be at the wrong location. 

A couple of example files are attached for you to play with.  Open the BaseDwg.dwg and:

INSERT the InsertDwg.dwg on Layer 0.  Leave all boxes unchecked (ABU).  Things should look correct.   Ctrl-Z (Undo)

ATTACH the BaseDwg.dwg file on Layer 0.  ABU.

The real difference here is that the inserted file becomes a block, meaning it can be EXPLODEd and fully incorporated into your original work.  The attached DWG will always be an external XREF.  If you want to change it you have to modify that file separately.

The screenshot below should help you.  If you translate this to your project you should have no further trouble.

BaseDwgScreenshot.png

Note that the dialogs for INSERT and ATTACH are largely the same.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
Distinguished Contributor
GPSJane
Message 6 of 6 (693 Views)

07-24-2014 01:03 AM in reply to: heinsite

That is a fantastic answer. Thanks very much!

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.