AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
unjust
Message 41 of 118 (165 Views)

Re: I am Frustrated!

05-14-2009 11:52 AM in reply to: oohaah
gotcha. i concur, 95% of the users my office could be on LT, but those few other tools (and revit bundling.. although really revit bundled with LT for detail drafting would be slick) mean i've got us all on full. it's that or spend buckets of my time doing those lil not in lt tasks.
*Debi Olson
Message 42 of 118 (165 Views)

05-14-2009 01:44 PM in reply to: oohaah

exactly! ;-)

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
gotcha.
i concur, 95% of the users my office could be on LT, but those few other tools
(and revit bundling.. although really revit bundled with LT for detail
drafting would be slick) mean i've got us all on full. it's that or spend
buckets of my time doing those lil not in lt tasks.
*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 43 of 118 (165 Views)

05-14-2009 03:30 PM in reply to: oohaah
End-users are important, but the ugly truth is investors count too. Try selling a product that looks like its stuck in the 80's to investors - I'm pretty sure they would take their money elsewhere to something that is bright, shiny, and *looks* like it will work on the next OS release.

Its also cheaper for AutoDesk to purchase the ribbon tools from MS (which pushes most of the ribbon development/update cost to MS as well) than to develop something similar and then try to update it for new OS releases (not yearly, but its still an agressive schedule). They took a wrong step with the Dashboard for sure - *thats* where the wasted time was.
----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Distinguished Mentor
JeffPaulsen
Message 44 of 118 (165 Views)

05-14-2009 04:09 PM in reply to: oohaah
Where did hear Autodesk purchased the Ribbon from MS? Autodesk's Ribbon is different from the Office ribbon, for example you can customize it (well at least your supposed be able to customize it). It was my assumption that Autodesk took the MS lead for the look and feel but developed their Ribbon independently.
> {quote:title=dgorsman wrote:}{quote}
> Its also cheaper for AutoDesk to purchase the ribbon tools from MS (which pushes most of the ribbon development/update cost to MS as well) ...
Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2012 SP3 | Win 7 64-bit SP1
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz, 16GB Ram | NVidia Quadro 600
*Scott Sheppard - Autodesk
Message 45 of 118 (165 Views)

05-15-2009 08:54 AM in reply to: oohaah

Microsoft operating systems are our platform. We
use their development tools. When the operating system makes capabilities
available, we take advantage of them - like mouse support or anything else. We
develop our own solutions specific to our applications for our customers.
AutoCAD allows a variety of UI elements, command line, ribbon, etc. AutoCAD is
configurable so you can tailor the UI to your own tastes.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Where
did hear Autodesk purchased the Ribbon from MS? Autodesk's Ribbon is different
from the Office ribbon, for example you can customize it (well at least your
supposed be able to customize it). It was my assumption that Autodesk took the
MS lead for the look and feel but developed their Ribbon independently. >
{quote:title=dgorsman wrote:}{quote} > Its also cheaper for AutoDesk to
purchase the ribbon tools from MS (which pushes most of the ribbon
development/update cost to MS as well) ...
Distinguished Contributor
unjust
Message 46 of 118 (165 Views)

05-15-2009 11:17 AM in reply to: oohaah
and advances in UI are great, however i strongly believe that it's a mistake to have all the new shinies on by default. in fact it's a pain in the tuckus.

migrating in an old profile should bring in ONLY those items, and do so accurately.

there are a few users in my office i can see the ribbon being a massive boon for. they however, are not the power users, or even the day to day users, they are the folks who occasionally want to draw one or two lines, or open a file to view it. were i to be rolling out 2010 with the ribbon to the office, my head would be rolling back to my desk, not from the power users who can edit the UI themselves, but from the standard users, who have trouble with locking toolbars on or off by accident.

the vast majority of users from small offices without a cad manager i imagine are similar. they know enough to get their settings working but aren't really doing a lot of customization other than where their toolbars sit, which are on, and now possibly the order or size settings of their ribbons.

please, for 2011 when the bowtie interface is released or the cuiy or whatever change happens other than differing icons, have a migrated ui come in as it was, and have a dialogue like the new features dialogue that can open a new workspace with the new ui so that folks can play with it, but still have their old interface without adding stuff, and have the old workspace exist uncorrupeted as a "legacy" file. i.e. i migrate in unjust 2008 into 2011, and until i delete it i'll have the workspace unjust2008, if i make changes to it, default it to save as instead of overwrite.

you'll be the person who saved the ui revision department from the lynch mob.
Valued Contributor
cadamantium
Message 47 of 118 (165 Views)

05-15-2009 02:12 PM in reply to: oohaah
Boy, the Ribbon is just destroying EVERYTHING!!!!

When the Ribbon is on and you try to edit mtext, the editing bar is not visible. That's because its embedded in the lovely ribbon. Since the ribbon "does not play well with others" I turned it off. That way I can just use toolbars and only ONE CLICK to initiate a command. Anyways... when the ribbon is turned off and you try to edit mtext, the editing bar shows up but its ALWAYS right smack in the middle of the screen no matter where you dragged it to the last time... Does anybody know a way to get it to stay near the top of the screen or anywhere else but right in the middle?????????

So... AutoCAD used to be a great product. All the way up until 2008. The last couple revisions are literally a "Turd with a Ribbon on it" hahahaha
*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 48 of 118 (165 Views)

05-16-2009 04:44 PM in reply to: oohaah
Having read through all the posts in this thread, I agree with you, Jeff. I too find the 2010 Civil 3D Ribbon to be very useful and well-designed. I love the ability to create my own context sensitive ribbon panels. Now, when I select a polyline, I get options for Pedit, Create Parcel from Objects, Create Alignment from Objects, Create Feature Line from Objects, and a layer control that lets me change layer. That is functionality.

Additionally, the QuickProperties toolbar is activated for Civil 3d objects -- I'm sure it's activated for custom objects in AutoCAD Arch and Mechanical as well -- so small changes to these objects are right at your fingertips. If you're not using QuickProperties, take a look.

I am not a new user -- 1986 -- and use the keyboard primarily, but it is not practical to type aeccCreateAlignmentEntities when I can have a button on the ribbon.

To those of you who don't like the Ribbon, more power to you. Turn it off and run the program your way.

To those of you who say the upgrades to the software are simply look and feel, not substance, read up on geometric and dimensional constraints. Can anyone say this is not useful? PDF Underlay? I won't post the entire list.

2010 is not a perfect version and I expect no version will ever be perfect. As far as pure speed, I think R12 DOS was the fastest I can remember, but I for one can live with a little less pure speed if I am getting far more functionality. Go Ribbon! Go QuickProperties!
Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
Active Contributor
seanfts
Message 49 of 118 (165 Views)

05-17-2009 11:42 PM in reply to: oohaah
I don't know why but sometimes the Ribbon just dispears and I have to relode the CUI file.
------
Sean
CAD related Tools for users and ActiveX Controls for Developers at http://www.autodwg.com/
Distinguished Mentor
JeffPaulsen
Message 50 of 118 (165 Views)

05-18-2009 06:57 AM in reply to: oohaah
kjackson,

Look into MTEXTED. That is the only way I know of to control the display of the Mtext editor.

Look into MTEXTTOOLBAR. You can force the text formatting toolbar to open even when the ribbon is on.
Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2012 SP3 | Win 7 64-bit SP1
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz, 16GB Ram | NVidia Quadro 600
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!