Did you mean: 

How to save a SHEET for ARCHIVING

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Greatel_9
311 Views, 10 Replies

How to save a SHEET for ARCHIVING

Hi there,

I am trying to archive some drawing sheets to create a back-up point. Each sheet has several viewports and overlapping references with layers turned on/off. I need to find a way to save the sheet with all the drawn lines/objects exactly as is, without the drawing being referenced. The aim is, even if I change the model drawing, the archived sheet will not change.

I have tried binding the refences but then all the drawings layers get turned on and all the references appear on top of each other (even if originally turned off)  in the viewport.

What is the best way to "archive" a sheet and still have it as a drawing file that can be seen/modified in the future?

Many thanks!

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Greatel_9

Hi,

you can use _EXPORTLAYOUT (>>>details<<<) to create a DWG file from a layout, that does not contaon then any referencing data and is hopefully what you are looking for.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11
Greatel_9
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred, unfortunately this way all that is exported is the title sheet that is live in the Sheet, none of the drawing coems through. 

Message 4 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> all that is exported is the title sheet

Then anything runs wrong. Can you upload such a drawing (plus XRef's if there are any)?

What release of AutoCAD do you have, what service pack is installed and if it's a vertical product (like Architecture, MEP, Civil 3D, ...) which one is it?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 11
Greatel_9

Alfred,

I can't upload the drawing as it is a private project. I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2012. 

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Message 6 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am using AutoCAD Architecture 2012

Verify you have installed the latest servicepack from >>>here<<<.

And to make sure it's not depending from any ACA-specific objects: create a new drawing, draw some lines and circles, change to Layout1 and prepare the viewport so it shows the objects created first. Now run _EXPORTLAYOUT and see if that works.

If that works then it might be depending on ACA-specific objects. You might try to first run command -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD (hopefully that works in your ACA 2012, this explodes the ACA objects to plain AutoCAD geometry elements) and then use that new drawing to export the layouts.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi again,

just another idea: is it enough backup if you run command _PUBLISH and create a PDF or a DWF from your layouts?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 11
Greatel_9

Alfred,

your method works on a fresh file, so there might be something wrong in the file that doesn't export. 

I already do PDF, i find DWF are not as useful as I cant modify them easily (should I have to).

Any suggestions on what I can look for in the file that doesnt export?

Many thanks

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Any suggestions on what I can look for in the file that doesnt export?

First at all: have you tried my -EXPORTTOAUTOCAD suggestion?

I would then start to reduce the geometry, delte half of the proect, run _EXPORTLAYOUT and see if it works or not, either delete the next half or run UNDO and delete the other part ...

You can run the reduction of geometry to get only a few of the objects, that show _EXPORTLAYOUT failing ==> then delete all unnecessary layouts, purge the drawing and after verifying that this issue exists with this dataset upload the drawing as I guess there will not be to many info's in it that could be critical with privacy.

- alfred -

Happy New Year

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 11
Greatel_9

This sounds like a plan. I will do and let you know, probably in the new year.

Many thanks and Happy New Year to you!
Message 11 of 11
Greatel_9

Alfred,

-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD and then _EXPORTLAYOUT works! 

It is a bit of a long route but it gets the job done, for now at least. 

Many thanks for all your help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost