AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
barry2104
Message 1 of 8 (7,017 Views)
Accepted Solution

how to delete a hole in my hatch

7017 Views, 7 Replies
01-16-2012 08:33 AM

i opened up a drawing which had a hatch over an area, and after deleting some text from within the hatch extents, found that the hatch didn't ignore the text & put the hatch behind it, rather, it created an island around the text to avoid a hatch/text clash.

I've removed a few pieces of such texts, and now have a bunch of rectangular holes in my hatch where the texts used to be.

How can I remove these islands completely without having to rehatch the whole thing again?

(I realise I could simply minimise the size of the island by picking the four corners/vertices of the hatch and bringing them closer together, but this is a messy solution)

Thanks in advance

to be clear for anyone looking for the process to resolve this problem without having to go through hatcheditor:

1) select the hatch (you will see the "Hatch Editor toolbar come up at the top of your page)

2) click on the Remove icon (LHS)

3) click on a boundary of an island you want to delete & it will be removed instantly!

thanks

this would have been the slower solution going through hatcheditor COMMAND, fyi:

HATCHEDIT

> click "Remove boundaries" icon

> select an edge of one/all of the islands you wish to delete (the entire hatch will look to be selected once you do this) then press enter/confirm

> back in the Hatchedit window, you then need to click the "Display boundary objects" icon, which as far as i can tell, sort of regenerates the hatch. (if you simply click ok/close the hatchedit dialogue without clicking the "Display boundary objects" icon, then it won't work)

> then you can click OK and you're good to go

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 8 (7,014 Views)

Re: how to delete a hole in my hatch

01-16-2012 08:40 AM in reply to: barry2104

Try this, type in WIPEOUT,  F for frame, then ON

If they show up, delete them or you can use QSELECT, and remove them in one swoop.

barry2104
Message 3 of 8 (7,008 Views)

01-16-2012 08:52 AM in reply to: Patchy

nope, nothing to do with wipeouts/Tframes.

it's a simple hatch island, and can be created around text or other closed elements (e.g. a circle within a hatch boundary will also reveal such an island).

all i want to do is delete the islands. I can remove one of the vertices of the rectangular islands, but the islands can't be reduced to less than 3 points using this method.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 4 of 8 (7,006 Views)

01-16-2012 08:56 AM in reply to: barry2104

Attach an example, let's see why

barry2104
Message 5 of 8 (7,003 Views)

01-16-2012 09:00 AM in reply to: Patchy

attached...

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 6 of 8 (6,995 Views)

01-16-2012 09:17 AM in reply to: barry2104

Hatchedit, remove boundaries will work on the rectangles.

The 3 circles are not boundaries, it's a continous line from the perimeter that is why you can't delete it.

*Expert Elite*
ToanDN
Message 7 of 8 (6,967 Views)

01-16-2012 05:45 PM in reply to: barry2104

You could highlight the mid point grip of each arc, right click, and choose Convert To Line.  That will get rid of the circular holes.

barry2104
Message 8 of 8 (6,955 Views)

01-16-2012 11:01 PM in reply to: Patchy

to be clear for anyone looking for the process to resolve this problem without having to go through hatcheditor:

1) select the hatch (you will see the "Hatch Editor toolbar come up at the top of your page)

2) click on the Remove icon (LHS)

3) click on a boundary of an island you want to delete & it will be removed instantly!

thanks

this would have been the slower solution going through hatcheditor COMMAND, fyi:

HATCHEDIT

> click "Remove boundaries" icon

> select an edge of one/all of the islands you wish to delete (the entire hatch will look to be selected once you do this) then press enter/confirm

> back in the Hatchedit window, you then need to click the "Display boundary objects" icon, which as far as i can tell, sort of regenerates the hatch. (if you simply click ok/close the hatchedit dialogue without clicking the "Display boundary objects" icon, then it won't work)

> then you can click OK and you're good to go

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!