Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to attach pcg file created through ReCap 2015 to an ACAD 2012 drawing.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
khanakhan
1853 Views, 14 Replies

How to attach pcg file created through ReCap 2015 to an ACAD 2012 drawing.

Using ReCap 2015 I have a point cloud exported to pcg format but when I try to attach this pcg file a ACAD 2012 dwg it says invalid point could file.

Looks like ACAD 2012 doesn't recoginse this pcg format. Is there a way to convert this pcg file to ACAD 2012 compatible version or anyother workflow in which we can attach a point could exported through ReCap 2015 into ACAD 2012.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: khanakhan

Hi,

there exist different PCG formats (like oder and newer DWG formats), the PCG saved with the current ReCap can be opened by AutoCAD 2014, but not with AutoCAD 2012.

What format was the point-file(s) before you have imported them to ReCap?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 15
khanakhan
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

We received the scan in .E57 format and then imported to recap in RCS format and then exported to PCG format but as mentioned ACAD 2012 doesn't recoginse that format. Basically somehow we need to get this scan in ACAD 2012.

I was thinking if we open this PCG in 2014 and save the DWG as 2012 will it also make PCG compatible to 2012?

Message 4 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> We received the scan in .E57 format

Sorry, I have no experience with that format.

>> I was thinking if we open this PCG in 2014 and save the DWG as 2012 will it also make PCG compatible to 2012?

No, because the PCG is only referenced and changing the DWG format will not change the PCG format, so opening the file with AutoCAD 2012 will see the same PCG file (and will not have the option to access it).

The question for me is: when you have the current ReCap version, why don't you work with the current AutoCAD release? Why do you want to work with AutoCAD 2012?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 15
khanakhan

Because on the project all the designers are on ACAD 2012 and we have to stick to that version. So essentially now the question is given raw scan data in .E57 format, how we be get it converted to some format that is compatiable with ACAD 2012.

Is there older version fo ReCap that is accepts .E57 and can export pcg file compatible to ACAD 2012.

Message 6 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

the only tip I have currently is to search for a converter that can import .E57 and export one of the formats that can be used by the indexer of AutoCAD 2012 (LAS, XYB, FLS, FWS).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 15
kubitTilo

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

>> I was thinking if we open this PCG in 2014 and save the DWG as 2012 will it also make PCG compatible to 2012?

No, because the PCG is only referenced and changing the DWG format will not change the PCG format, so opening the file with AutoCAD 2012 will see the same PCG file (and will not have the option to access it).

I'm pretty sure that AutoCAD 2014 (and 2013) will recreate the PCG file in a compatible format when saving the DWG in AutoCAD 2010 format.

Tilo Pfliegner
Message 8 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: kubitTilo

Hi,

sorry, Tilo is absolutly correct: Never thought that AutoCAD does convert anything referenced ... and yes, connecting the PCG file with AutoCAD 2014 and then save back the DWG in 2010-format makes the PCG file readable for AutoCAD 2012.

@kubitTilo 

Thanks for correcting me! Much appreciated!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 15
khanakhan

Thanks guys, yes that works . Only thing I noticed is that in 2012 point cloud is just white points , while in 2014 point do get the RGB values , that's true even if you open a 2010 pcg file in ACAD 2014, is it just a new feature in 2014 or some setting that I am missing in 2012.

Message 10 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> in 2012 point cloud is just white points

Have you set the visual style to realistic? (or anything other than 2D-Wireframe)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 15
khanakhan

Yes, my visual style is set to Realistic. Like when you open the .pts file navisworks there is a setting in file readers to use color for point clould or not. Isn't there any similar setting for ACAD. In ACAD 2012 all points just show up in white but surprisingly if I open the same file in ACAD 2014 it does show the colors for point.

Message 12 of 15
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Yes, my visual style is set to Realistic

And your hardware acceleration os ON (command _3DCONFIG ==> Manual tune)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 15
khanakhan

Yes, I turned on the hardware acceleration with all effects on, exact same setting as I have on 2014 on the same machine. Strange thing is that when I change the view now, using view cube, while its changing the view from one to the other it shows the correct colors but once the view is set it goes back to white.

Message 14 of 15
khanakhan

Thanks very much for your help, after resetting 3DCONFIG and Visual Style now the point could shows correctly.
Message 15 of 15
khanakhan

Thanks for the information. So is there a way to convert the newer format to PCG to older format so that it can be attached into ACAD 2012. Because designers a are using ACAD2012 and we need it in a format compatible with that version.
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete
this e-mail and destroy any copies.

Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other
than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost