A-0 First Page with Building Dept Required Notes
A-1 Construction Plan
A-2 RCP
A-3 Interior Elevations
A-4 Details
A-5 Schedules

What to quote? or how to figure it out?

Don't mind dean, 

Old rule of thumb was 40 hrs drafting a sheet.  Presumably the architect you would be doing contract drafting work for can supply at least 80 percent complete versions of the first two.  The remainder are going to be job specific, so take a guess at how long it would take you do draw them up,  then double that for markups/iterations, and double yet again for safe scheduling.

Figure on spending 60 hrs per week doing this, decide how much you need a week, and factor that in to your quote. 

Now, you do have a legal copy of CAD to use, right?  your're not even thinking about using an educationalversion are you?  Since using an EDU version for paid will violate the license agreement, and contaminate the drawings with an EDU stamp, and quite possibly end up infecting the architect's systems with the EDU 'virus', not have a legal version to use woould guarantee  no future work.

of course the OP lacks experience, that's why he's asking.  experience however, does not equal ability.  How else does one gain experience, except by doing?  Were you born with the expertise you now posess, or did you jump in the deep end and learn to swim?

Note that, (according to him) his instructor referred him, obvisously thinking he's capable of performing the task.  secondly, he's not freelancing for consumer's - he's being asked to provide drawings for an architect, who has professional responsibility for the drawings.   From here, it doesn't look that different than being the junior drafter in the archie's office, except no benefits, no cubicle to sit in, fewer resources, and lot's more risk.  (If the architect needs work done, why not bring him on-board, even as a temp?  planning to shortchange the bill?  or defer paying him?

To the OP, good luck,  plan on putting in 60-80 hrs/week, anly billing 40

Robert,

I don’t think anybody is questioning your CAD abilities; it’s your inexperience in the discipline that causes us to question your intentions. Since you are going to be working for an architect, not just playing one on YouTube, you might be in a position to provide drawings that the Architect will sign and seal. Working as a consultant is fraught with perils that ‘just trying to survive in this economy’ will be difficult to overcome. You need to establish yourself as a small business with insurance in order to limit exposure should you wind up in court. You need to find out what the going rates are for drafting consultants so you can try to be competitive.

Your best bet would be to approach the Architect with a letter of recommendation from your instructor and express to him or her just what your aspirations are and see if you can make some kind of arrangement other than a bid for the work. If the firm is under a deadline and doesn’t have the time to work with you, you’ll have to try another approach, maybe even doing a project gratis to establish your abilities in exchange for guidance in the way things are done. Without any real experience, your bid will probably be rejected. Rather than setting you up for failure, please consider my suggestion about approaching the Architect to form an alternative relationship.

Distinguished Contributor
dbanaszak
Message 2 of 13 (368 Views)

Re: How or what to quote

08-04-2012 10:18 AM in reply to: rjgonzalez40

This is a simple six sheet architectural submittal. If you don't understand that then you either are too inexperienced to provide the service or you're in the wrong discipline to do so.

rjgonzalez40
Message 3 of 13 (365 Views)

08-04-2012 10:41 AM in reply to: dbanaszak

Little background, went to an AutoCAD Class (2012) learned everything about the program(well just about everything), can draw anything for architectural, but nothing was shown on how to build a drawing package. is there a link you can provide so i can learned or get inform.

Thank you

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 13 (355 Views)

08-04-2012 03:36 PM in reply to: rjgonzalez40

Your best bet is probably to find employment with a company that does this sort of business to get some experience. 

They will show you the ropes.

Once you have 3 or 4 years of experience you might be ready to quote jobs on your own.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Contributor
dbanaszak
Message 5 of 13 (351 Views)

08-04-2012 05:57 PM in reply to: rjgonzalez40

I tell my CAD students that what I'm teaching them no more prepares them for a career than somebody learning WORD is being prepared to type out a novel. I would suggest you get some experience before you even consider preparing a bid for services you don't quite understand. There is a difference between a drafter and an architect, but a drafter with years of experience can assemble a drawing set without a lot of supervision.

You could look for a nearby blueprint house where you could purchase a bid set of similar configuration and then use it as a template, but your inexperience would be your undoing. Who is going to sign and seal the plans when you're done? Without an Architect's or Engineer's seal on them they are simply drawings and not construction documents.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 13 (330 Views)

08-05-2012 05:29 AM in reply to: rjgonzalez40
Wow! Do your bid recipients know you only went to CAD school? If it was that easy, I could have skipped going to architecture school and all those massive student loans paid back.
Friend, I wouldn't hire you to design a manhole cover, I doubt anyone else would do more and not sue you afterwards for faking a qualification.
Go work for someone as a drafter, drawing up what they give you to draw, you're not ready for anything else yet.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
rjgonzalez40
Message 7 of 13 (303 Views)

08-05-2012 07:26 PM in reply to: pendean

Hopefully I will answer all of you that have commented on this post.

It was a referral from the cad instructor, Me been one of his best students of 2011.

Now what i am doing.

This is a request for quote for an architect, not looking for an employee they need some on a per project basis. I will produce there requested work for a per project fee. All I needed to know was what to charge since I have never done work as a freelancer for an architect before.

I do appreciate all of you that posted your feedback and sorry for those of you the have unpaid loans and cant apparently get a job doing what you went to school for. I'm just trying to survive on a bad economy.

Thank you for you time and attention on this matter,

Sincerely,

Robert

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 8 of 13 (276 Views)

08-06-2012 11:10 AM in reply to: rjgonzalez40

Don't mind dean, 

Old rule of thumb was 40 hrs drafting a sheet.  Presumably the architect you would be doing contract drafting work for can supply at least 80 percent complete versions of the first two.  The remainder are going to be job specific, so take a guess at how long it would take you do draw them up,  then double that for markups/iterations, and double yet again for safe scheduling.

Figure on spending 60 hrs per week doing this, decide how much you need a week, and factor that in to your quote. 

Now, you do have a legal copy of CAD to use, right?  your're not even thinking about using an educationalversion are you?  Since using an EDU version for paid will violate the license agreement, and contaminate the drawings with an EDU stamp, and quite possibly end up infecting the architect's systems with the EDU 'virus', not have a legal version to use woould guarantee  no future work.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 9 of 13 (271 Views)

08-06-2012 11:34 AM in reply to: JGerth

JGerth wrote:

Don't mind dean, 

The OP doesn't have the experience for this. Period!

If they had asked the question in the context of, "I have a school assignment to determine...."

But that isn't what the OP asked.

In my opinion anyone asking this question for any reason other than a school assignment - just isn't ready.

When you are ready, grasshopper, you will know.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 10 of 13 (265 Views)

08-06-2012 11:37 AM in reply to: JDMather

Amen.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!