AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
Infallable
Message 1 of 10 (7,627 Views)
Accepted Solution

How do I set up default template?

7627 Views, 9 Replies
02-16-2011 06:38 AM

So that when AutoCAD starts up,  a new .dwg file is started,  using my specified dwt. file as a template.

thanks in advance x

...or first, create a template file by creating a drawing file the way you want it to be, with border, title, layer and linetype standards, page setup already done, perhaps the text style(s) and dimension style(s) you like to use, and anything else that you think might be helpful. Then save it as a template by doing a save-as and selecting that file extension. It should go to your default template folder.

Now you have to go to your Options DBox, Files tab, template Settings-->Default Template Filename for QNEW

By default it is set to none, but if you highlight None and then Browse to the template location and select yours, it should now work as the default template once you click OK :smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (7,619 Views)

Re: How do I set up default template?

02-16-2011 07:23 AM in reply to: Infallable

Explore this topic in HELP.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Pro
Modman_4
Message 3 of 10 (7,586 Views)

02-16-2011 08:38 AM in reply to: pendean

...or first, create a template file by creating a drawing file the way you want it to be, with border, title, layer and linetype standards, page setup already done, perhaps the text style(s) and dimension style(s) you like to use, and anything else that you think might be helpful. Then save it as a template by doing a save-as and selecting that file extension. It should go to your default template folder.

Now you have to go to your Options DBox, Files tab, template Settings-->Default Template Filename for QNEW

By default it is set to none, but if you highlight None and then Browse to the template location and select yours, it should now work as the default template once you click OK :smileyhappy:

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
Valued Contributor
Infallable
Message 4 of 10 (7,548 Views)

02-17-2011 12:01 AM in reply to: Infallable

perfect answer.  solved my problem as necessary.  thank you very much!!

*Pro
Modman_4
Message 5 of 10 (7,508 Views)

02-17-2011 02:11 PM in reply to: Infallable

You're welcome, but Dean's answer is valid too -- there's nothing like your online Help (F1), reading, and practicing. You'll need a good working knowledge of your variables some day too, and that's where to find them!

I hope my info was useful, but if by some odd chance it actually solved your issue, feel free to mark your post as "Accept as Solution". Thanks! :smileyhappy:
alana_m
Message 6 of 10 (4,817 Views)

06-11-2013 12:55 PM in reply to: Modman_4

If I have a list of default templates I would like to choose between when I click the QNEW button, how do I go about doing that? I used to use AutoCAD Arch 2012, but last week upgraded to 2014. I lost a lot of my presets in the move. Now I am trying to piece it all back together.

I used to be able to click on the "new drawing" icon and it would pull up a dialogue box that listed about 7 different templates I could choose from. I'd like this dialogue box again,do you know how to make it appear? I followed your directions for how to set one .dwt file and it worked, but I need the capability to to browse between various templates. Thoughts?

I am a very basic user of AutoCAD, when it comes to going into settings and changing things, this is where my expertise ends. Any help you could provide would be great!

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10 (4,813 Views)

06-11-2013 01:01 PM in reply to: alana_m

Hi,

>> but I need the capability to to browse between various templates. Thoughts?

Don't use command _QNEW, use _NEW instead

For startup of AutoCAD you can set the sysvar STARTUP to 1, then you get a dialog where you can choose the template you like.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
alana_m
Message 8 of 10 (4,809 Views)

06-11-2013 01:15 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Perfect! That worked. Thank you!

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 9 of 10 (4,807 Views)

06-11-2013 01:16 PM in reply to: alana_m
QNEW is for one template, automatically loaded, you get no choice in changing it when you execute the command.
NEW is where you get to pick which template to launch.

Behavior is not new to R2014: is that what you did in 2012?
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
alana_m
Message 10 of 10 (4,803 Views)

06-11-2013 01:22 PM in reply to: pendean

Thank you, Dean. In the past, someone else has set all the Customizations, lisp commands, etc for me when the new software arrives, so I have never needed to do these myself. This is the first year I have needed to get into "programming mode" to make sure it all operates as close to possible as before. I was using 2012 and now 2014. I attempted to migrate the settings, but received errors each time, so now I am going back in and doing each item separately. 

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.