Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I transfer the licence to my new computer?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tammyh2o
1978 Views, 6 Replies

How can I transfer the licence to my new computer?

I lost my computer a few years ago, and had autocad on it.  I can't find the disc.  Is tehre any way to transfer my old licence and progem to a new computer with the original computer gone?  Or do I have to buy it all over again????

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tammyh2o

Hi,

have you informed Autodesk about the loss of your old pc?

If not I guess it will be complicated as at least it's hard to beleive someone asks for a renewal of a license some years after the activation.

And there might be the next problem that whoever "found" your lost workstation might have used that license.

Another question: have you had an insurance? If so they should have to pay the license costs.

At least, if you have a serial number contact your reseller or Autodesk, describe the situation and hopefully there is a chance.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
tammyh2o
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Basically, long story short, I went out of business and didn't care at the time.  I have done little drafting since then and thus no need for the program, until now.  I have a few small projects that I need to do a quick map to detail the parcel.

If I cannot recover my old license, are they transferable?  There is a seller online that is offering to sell the program and transfer his license, but I'm not sure if such a thing is OK.  Any thoughts?

Message 4 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If I cannot recover my old license, are they transferable?

If you have your license (the computer on which it's installed) then there is a transfer utility installed, but if you don't have the source you don't have anything to transfer.

You need at least the serial number, without that I guess the chance is not really good.

>> There is a seller online that is offering to sell the program and transfer his license, but I'm not sure if such a thing is OK.  Any thoughts?

You'll need Autodesk, only they can give you (and the one who wants to sell his license) an OK for transfering. Without that OK you are never sure to get an activation code or if the sold software is legal or not.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 7
dgorsman

If you went out of business, and the license was registered to the business ie. business asset, its more than likely considered gone as well.  If the license was issued to you personally, and you still have your relevant contract information, you *might* be able to get an activation.  Depending on how old the version is, getting it to run on a modern operating system might make the whole point moot.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 7
tammyh2o
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks everyone for the information.  

Licensing freaks me out, and as a small business, I cannot risk doing it wrong.

I think I'm going to try the LT version since I only use it for parcel maps, and I think the LT is good enough.  I will try the trial version to confirm I guess, and then just go with the more affordable program if it can do all I need it to do.  It is only a few hundred more than the "resale" full versions online and the peace of mind from buying direct is worth it.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
justshutup

Or check out Draftsight.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost