Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hideobjects inside xrefs or blocks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gyarke
2644 Views, 7 Replies

hideobjects inside xrefs or blocks

Is there a way to hide or isolate specific objects inside a block or xref?

I have a large xref that has a zillion layers in it and I just want to turn off specific obects so I can see the other parts clearly.  Layer control is not an option as there are too many to go through.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MarySeufert
in reply to: gyarke

You could use a combination of Isolating Objects and layer control.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 3 of 8
gyarke
in reply to: MarySeufert

But when I select the xref or block, it turns off the whole thing.  I dont want that.  I just want the objects inside the xref or block to turn off.

Message 4 of 8
nestly2

Whether Blocks or xrefs, the objects must be on layer that allows them to be distinguished from other objects which you want to remain visible if you need to control thier visibility independantly.

XLIST (ExpressTool) will identify the properties of individual objects within xrefs, (easy way to know which layer to turn off/freeze)  and easier yet,

LAYERFREEZE (LAYFRZ) is a quick graphical method for turning off individual layers in an XREF without any need to sort through xref layer lists.

Message 5 of 8
gyarke
in reply to: nestly2

Yes that works well on smaller drawings but doesnt on ones that a customer makes where there are hundreds of objects on some layers.  I dont want all of them off, just the ones that obscure my work. Bummer that I got  drawing here with about a hundred pipes all on the same layer.  Its a tangle town right where Im working.  Would be nice to see Autodesk add an option when you select a block or xref to toggle the whole block or the items inside that you pick.

Message 6 of 8
MarySeufert

On your customers drawings, make a copy and add layers to it so that you can freeze all the objects not needed for your use. Or, you can hide objects in the xrefs and that will follow through to your working drawings.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 7 of 8
gyarke
in reply to: MarySeufert

That solves part of my problem.  Thanks.

But what if another co-worker is working on a model that I have xrefed into my model.  How can I control his objects in his ever changing model?

Message 8 of 8
Kent1Cooper

@gyarke wrote:

.... there are hundreds of objects on some layers.  I dont want all of them off, just the ones that obscure my work. ....

I get it better from your top-message question here than in the other place where you put the same question, worded in less detail.  I was going to suggest the LOPN or LFPN commands in this, but they will turn Off or Freeze entire Layers of nested objects [or top-level objects if you pick something that isn't nested].  But I don't know of any way to turn off individual objects, other than maybe to make a Layer that's turned Off and move them into it temporarily somehow [not a simple thing with nested ones, but perhaps doable...].

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost