AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

richardmiranda
Message 1 of 9 (12,747 Views)

hidden lines do not plot as dashed

12747 Views, 8 Replies
12-09-2010 12:34 PM

I've been having a recurring problem with AutoCAD 2011, whereby I cannot plot lines as they appear on my layout.  For some of my designs I require that solids display hidden lines as dashed (for example, when I need to dimension an object that lies behind another).  In order to do this, I make sure my viewport is set to shademode 3, I enter the command vsobscuredltype and set it to 2, then I enter the command vsobscurededges and set it to 1.  This enables the hidden lines in my viewport to appear as dashed, and I see them as dashed on my screen.  However, when I attempt to print, all the hidden lines print as solid lines.  Now, with some of my drawings hidden lines print as dashed, but in other cases they don't.  It seems that the problem is more likely to happen with circular objects like pipes.  In such cases, the inside wall of the pipe appears as dashed lines on my screen, as expected, but the plotted output results in solid lines.  Is there any way around this?  By the way, you may rule out any plotter issues, since the same problem arises if I attempt to plot to pdf, for example.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Valued Contributor
DavidJFuller
Message 2 of 9 (12,727 Views)

Re: hidden lines do not plot as dashed

12-09-2010 03:09 PM in reply to: richardmiranda

Select one of the offensive viewports and ensure that your shadeplot is set to "as Displayed" or is set as you would like it to plot.

richardmiranda
Message 3 of 9 (12,698 Views)

12-10-2010 07:04 AM in reply to: DavidJFuller

Thank you for your response, David.  I looked into your suggestion.  Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem since my viewport was already set to plot as displayed.  I'm having a feeling that perhaps this is simply something AutoCAD has trouble representing.  Nonetheless, I am attaching a small, simple, drawing of a pipe to illustrate my problem.  Upon opening it you should see a layout containing a side view of a pipe.  Notice the dashed lines representing the inside wall of the pipe.  Then try to plot it.  You don't even need to carry through with the plot.  When the plot window appears, simply click on "Preview" and you will see that the dashed line now appears solid.  Perhaps this will help.  Thanks again.

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 4 of 9 (12,689 Views)

12-10-2010 08:44 AM in reply to: richardmiranda

The proper way to show this view as you intend is to do a Flatshot to generate a 2D view with (or without) hidden lines. I don't know why it doesn't work the way you want (I'm not sure it ever did), but Flatshot will give you what you want to see.

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!
richardmiranda
Message 5 of 9 (12,680 Views)

12-10-2010 09:33 AM in reply to: stevenelliott3894

Thank you Steven.  I too believe that there may be no solution to this problem the way I intended.  Your suggestion is deffinitely a good alternative.  One of the reasons I wish I could get the method I postulate to work is because then, any modifications done to the 3D object would be immediately reflected on all the viewports, without one having to re-generate flatshots to reflect the changes.  However, the flatshots may be the only way to do this.  Thanks for your help.

Valued Mentor
stevenelliott3894
Message 6 of 9 (12,674 Views)

12-10-2010 10:32 AM in reply to: richardmiranda

Mechanical Desktop had the functionality to automatically generate hidden line views on its layouts, as well as automaticlly updating them when the model changed. That, coupled with parametric solids creation, as well as a lot of other awesome features, made for a very powerful mechanical modeling package... all based on AutoCAD. Too bad they killed in in their zest to promote Inventor. If only we could convince them to not let that technology go to waste and make it available as an add-on for AutoCAD, I'd be in 7th heaven.

Steven Elliott

When I was a little bitty boy, my grandmother bought me a cute little toy. Silver bells hangin' on a string... she told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling!
dedun
Message 7 of 9 (12,604 Views)

12-14-2010 03:12 AM in reply to: stevenelliott3894

Create a new Visual Style and apply it to the viewport

Select that vieport and adjust the properties as shown

Print preview

cadjunkie02
Message 8 of 9 (11,854 Views)

02-24-2011 12:48 PM in reply to: dedun

Good day everyone.I am also having the problem with my hidden lines aren't printing in Paperspace.

But,i've notice when I have it to plot on a 11 x 17 viewport,i am seeing the hidden lines but it isn't showing up on

a 8 x 11 vieport.

Can that be part of the problem?

cadjunkie02
Message 9 of 9 (11,825 Views)

02-25-2011 05:34 AM in reply to: dedun

Goodmorning everyone also was having that problem and as I mention before,I was asking if papersize can have a factor for not being able to plot HIDDEN Lines.I was able to see the hidden lines on a 17 x 11 paper sizes,I did a page setup using the 17 x 11 paper and choosing a 11 x 8 paper size,and setting it current.

The viewport that was on a 17 x 11 was outside of the 11 x 8 and I just scale,and adjust it to fit the size of the new paper was able to see the HIDDEN LINES and to plot it.Check and see if this is the problem and,if,it helps.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.