AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
Ravi_Akella
Message 1 of 34 (761 Views)

Help shape the future of AutoCAD

761 Views, 33 Replies
06-07-2012 08:33 AM

Hello!

This is a special invitation for experienced AutoCAD users looking to shape the future of AutoCAD.

Test drive what the AutoCAD team is working on for the future and help guide our product decisions. We are developing exciting new features and services, and are looking for motivated users to collaborate with us. 

To sign up please fill out this quick survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ImpactAutoCAD1

Best Regards,

Ravi

Ravi Akella

Sr. Product Manager - AutoCAD

1 Market Street, San Francisco 94105

USA

Active Contributor
S.Skinner
Message 2 of 34 (603 Views)

Re: Help shape the future of AutoCAD

06-27-2012 08:17 AM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Instead of adding new features, how about fixing all the problems with your current products? That would be more appreciated.

Also, please throw the ribbons in the trash.

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 34 (597 Views)

06-27-2012 08:51 AM in reply to: S.Skinner

Please keep the ribbons.  They improve my productivity and reduce screen clutter, especially on laptops.  The CUI interface could use revisiting though.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

Valued Contributor
its_cconner
Message 4 of 34 (591 Views)

06-27-2012 10:25 AM in reply to: S.Skinner

You have the option to not use Ribbons. If you dislike them don't use them.

As for shaping the future of AutoCAD I suggest you guys stop the yearly release crap and stick with the major release every 3 years. Then you can concentrate on fixing the problems that exist in your current release instead of looking to what you can add next year and basically nerfing things that worked fine until you added some new widget.

Mentor
noli1057
Message 5 of 34 (581 Views)

06-27-2012 12:58 PM in reply to: its_cconner

its_cconner Quote - "stop the yearly release crap and stick with the major release every 3 years".

I agree with this suggestion. Yearly release of this program is very tiring to those users. Where in some usual cases,  you can not open drawing files with new release CAD program in a year old CAD program. 

*Pro
nestly
Message 6 of 34 (562 Views)

06-27-2012 10:35 PM in reply to: its_cconner

its_cconner wrote:As for shaping the future of AutoCAD I suggest you guys stop the yearly release crap and stick with the major release every 3 years. Then you can concentrate on fixing the problems that exist in your current release instead of looking to what you can add next year and basically nerfing things that worked fine until you added some new widget.

If Autodesk is truly interested in having the users shape the future of AutoCAD, they'll pay attention to this common sentiment that's expressed here, and in the other thread in the 2013 forum.   Give us a solid product, not one with new gimmicks every year that cause new bugs with existing features.... and then no fixes are offered for a full 6 months.  (or the never get fixed at all)

Mentor
johnq
Message 7 of 34 (537 Views)

06-28-2012 04:08 PM in reply to: nestly

I have used and installed for customers every version of ACad since r14.

I support everything that has been stated above and then some.

Marketing should listen to techo's

I am a user of ACAD Electrical and ver  2012 had major changes that AutoDESK initally said they would not fix.   Some months later they agreed to change.  

I lived in an area that had blackouts.  Normally this was not a problem but ACad 2002 had a major problem if a black out occured during an installation.

An early instruction in the install process was to flag that this was a complete install.   An auto restart of the instal failed as the flag was still set.

It took me quite some time (days) to correct the problem.

Cheers  johnq

Finman
Message 8 of 34 (510 Views)

07-02-2012 01:13 AM in reply to: johnq

I can only reiterate previous posts....... Fix what there is before moving on to another release.

Ribbons and Classic menus should be available to all across the range, personally I dislike the Ribbons but I know other that think they are great.

Sort out the printing issues, this is the biggest issue I have, both printing and pdf'ing is a real pain and doesn't come out clearly.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 9 of 34 (470 Views)

07-06-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: its_cconner

>>You have the option to not use Ribbons. If you dislike them don't use them.

That is only partially true....  especialy in the verticals, there are NO menubar pulldowns that access the current set of commands.  If a user does not wish to spend the time, energy, and multiple clicks he needs to run with the ribbon, then he has the 'option' to write his own CUI that inlcudes all the commands in that vertical.  That's a non-trivial exercise, and is required for every organization that want to not spend their day-to-day resources running with eyecandy on.

For that matter, the Classic tool bars lack certain functionality compared to the reibbon equivalent.  One obvious  example being the layer tool bar vs the ribbon layers panel.

I agree with you otherwise

Distinguished Contributor
BillMazza
Message 10 of 34 (448 Views)

07-09-2012 07:51 AM in reply to: Ravi_Akella

Are the express tools EVER going to be part of the standard ACAD pkg, tools such as text2mtext, Burst, etc...etc...

Also, bring back 'Windows' on the top tool bar, I find it easier to cycle through the titles of dwg files, rather than thumbnail images.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.