AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

exhibits
Message 1 of 3 (1,104 Views)

HELP! Annotation Problem

1104 Views, 2 Replies
04-26-2012 01:48 PM

Hello all, This is likely a really easy fix, but I am struggling with it.

I have an exhibit cabinet that I have layed out for fabrication, and I cannot associate dimensions with the z axis. Autocad will allow me to assocaite dimensions on the x and y axis, but is constrained on the z axis so that I cannot show a vertical dimenstion. The dimension commands will only allow me to show dimensions on the 2-d drawing plane.

The drawing was originally created as 2-d lines and then extruded to the desired height. To determine if it was releated to the specific drawing or not, I exited the program and started a new drawing. I created a 2-d box and a cube, using the "box" command under 3-d basics. I had the same problem with the new drawing, so this suggests to me that I somehow managed to change a global setting on the program itself

I would really appreciate any help you can provide!

Thank you!

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 2 of 3 (1,094 Views)

Re: HELP! Annotation Problem

04-26-2012 03:56 PM in reply to: exhibits

You must reorient the UCS, dims only work in XY plane.  You can drag the UCS to where you want it or use UCS, 3point, etc.

Also see http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/create-dimension/dimension-3d

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
exhibits
Message 3 of 3 (1,090 Views)

Re: HELP! Annotation Problem

04-26-2012 04:07 PM in reply to: exhibits

Ahhh, I see! That worked perfectly- you're a lifesaver! Thank you so much for your quick response!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!