AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

ultimatemelly
Message 1 of 5 (623 Views)

Hatch command reveals xclip that isn't in drawing

623 Views, 4 Replies
06-07-2012 02:20 PM

Hi,

So this is definitely a strange one! Any suggestions would be grea!

I'm trying to hatch floor patterns in suits. I draw a pline aroudn perimeter. There are a couple of problems. 

First, when I do a hatch by selecting the pline ("object"), it doesn't detect islands, such as our room tag. This is likely because the hatch is over an xref (the suite is an xref, room tag and pline are not), and hatches don't seem to like xrefs. 

Next option is to hatch by "pick points". When I do that, and select a point on the floor of the suite, all of a sudden an old xref or xclip appears in 2 locations, and the hatch boundary takes the lines from that new xref into consideration. The crazy thing is that this xref does not exist in any form in the drawing. I have purged/audited the drawing, and the drawing no longer even exists in our computer. 

Can anyone explain this odd problem? 

Distinguished Mentor
Moshe-A
Message 2 of 5 (611 Views)

Re: Hatch command reveals xclip that isn't in drawing

06-08-2012 02:27 AM in reply to: ultimatemelly
Hi, 

First, when I do a hatch by selecting the pline ("object"), it doesn't detect islands, such as our room tag. This is likely because the hatch is over an xref (the suite is an xref, room tag and pline are not), and hatches don't seem to like xrefs. 

island detection works only if you use 'pick internal point:' if you use select object than you also need to select the islands

When I do that, and select a point on the floor of the suite, all of a sudden an old xref or xclip appears in 2 locations, and the hatch boundary takes the lines from that new xref into consideration. The crazy thing is that this xref does not exist in any form in the drawing. I have purged/audited the drawing, and the drawing no longer even exists in our computer. 

this could  be an xref (or a block) that was xcliped, set xclip to OFF.

Moshe

ultimatemelly
Message 3 of 5 (605 Views)

06-08-2012 07:18 AM in reply to: Moshe-A

Hi Moshe, thanks for your reply! A couple of things: 

How do I choose "pick internal point"? I don't see that option in the hatch dialogue box. Also, I've tried selecting all the objects, and the hatch still goes over everything, but not out of the boundary of course. 

Also, there is no xclip in the drawing. It literally ONLY  appears when I click inside the boundary to hatch. It can't be selected, and it goes away when you've completed your hatch. It's like a phantom drawing that doesn't exist and only shows up on the full moon of me hatching a room. 

For now, I've had to unload all xrefs and then the hatch detects islands, but only on one drawing, not the other. So basically, I have a bunch of polyline shapes with room tags in the middle, and then I reload the xrefs back in. 

The concern is mostly that there is a serious flaw in the program (yes, it does this on all our computers) that stemmed from having an xclip in the drawing over a year ago, that decided to reappear but doesn't even exist on our server anymore. I've also tried fresh drawings, which means ultimately there is something wrong with our base xref, but again, there are no xclips in it or blocks ,and it has been purged/audited several times.

Distinguished Mentor
Moshe-A
Message 4 of 5 (603 Views)

06-08-2012 08:07 AM in reply to: ultimatemelly

ultimatemelly wrote:

Hi Moshe, thanks for your reply! A couple of things: 

How do I choose "pick internal point"? I don't see that option in the hatch dialogue box.

BHATCH under Boundaries Add: Pick points

The concern is mostly that there is a serious flaw in the program (yes, it does this on all our computers) that stemmed from having an xclip in the drawing over a year ago, that decided to reappear but doesn't even exist on our server anymore. I've also tried fresh drawings, which means ultimately there is something wrong with our base xref, but again, there are no xclips in it or blocks ,and it has been purged/audited several times.

why don't you get rid of the xclipping once and for all? the xclipping is only attached to the block reference

(= xref attach) and not to the external xref dwg. if you detach it and back attach it will be go.

also if you know how to use WBLOCK to clean the drawing do it (it is the best cleaner autocad has)

Moshe

ultimatemelly
Message 5 of 5 (601 Views)

06-08-2012 09:57 AM in reply to: Moshe-A

Thanks, I thought you meant something else with the "pick point", so I was looking harder than needed. The hatch still won't detect islands no matter which option I choose, and that is with all the xrefs unloaded, WBLOCK purging done as well. Still no xclips in the drawing, so I have no way of selecting them and turning them "off" doesn't work since none are in there to turn off. At this point, I'm fine with unloading all the xrefs, but I have to draw boxes around my room tags so that the hatch doesn't go over top of the tag. There must be another internal setting I don't know about that is occuring just on this drawing, because island detection works on other drawings. In fact, I can take the poly line and the room tag, paste it into the second floor drawing, and it will detect islands there. 

So, as for the weird xclip thing happening, I'm just going to work around it since I can't even get access to it. Thanks for reminding me of WBLOCK, it's been a million years since I've used it!

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.