AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

nrudicel
Message 1 of 4 (486 Views)

Handle Numbers

486 Views, 3 Replies
02-19-2011 09:25 PM

I used CAD for a Tech Design class at my school but my handle number was the same as another students.  The professor said I cheated when I had the assignment already done a week before due date.  I did the assignment on a different computer, but used that student's computer when it came to printing it out.  What is the handle number and how can it be possible for it them to be the same in this case?

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 2 of 4 (446 Views)

Re: Handle Numbers

02-20-2011 06:23 AM in reply to: nrudicel

The entity handle is a unique value assigned to an entity (line,circle etc) when it is created. It is used by the application to keep track of those entities. No two entities will have the same handle in the same drawing file. it is possible for two separate dwgs to have the same handle value assigned to two different entities, however is almost unlikely its the same entity in each dwg. For example one line from 1,1 to 2,2 in one dwg may have the handle AB1 while in another dwg a line from 3,3 to 4,4 may have the same handle value assigned to it. Have your instructor use the TIME command to check also.

With out knowing your instructor or his/her level of expertise  that's another way to check for students not doing their own work. I do know of one instructor that created a custom routine that marked every object created in AutoCAD with the students ID that only he could get to to prevent beating all the other methods.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
nrudicel
Message 3 of 4 (421 Views)

02-20-2011 06:07 PM in reply to: nrudicel

Everyone in the class did the same drawing. Yet our handle numbers were the same in a couple different spots.  With it being highly unlikely that it can be the same, I do not know how to go about explaining how it could of happened without them thinking I cheated.

Active Contributor
rhenley
Message 4 of 4 (348 Views)

02-23-2011 11:18 AM in reply to: nrudicel

It makes sense if both of you began with the same template file, and proceeded to construct the drawing items in a similar order.

The handles will be assigned in exactly the same fashion in different drawings. IF ALL the handles are exactly the same then you copied the drawing, if only a few handles are the same then the teacher is more likely wrong in his assesment.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.