AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

sue
sue
Message 1 of 20 (1,206 Views)

Function key bug

1206 Views, 19 Replies
03-21-2012 06:26 PM

Occasionally, while using AutoCad 2012, the function keys malfunction. For example, if the last key I hit was F7, if I then hit F8, it would function as F7, but the next F8 hit would work as F8. Then if I used F9, it would function as F8 until I hit F9 again. And so on. Restarting AutoCad fixes the problem.

I have had this problem for years, even after updating AutoCad and computers. Currently I am running Windows 7 (64 bit), and Service Pack 1 has been installed.

Usually this problem would only happen once every couple of months, but it has just occured two days in a row.

Product Support
VinodBalasubramanian
Message 2 of 20 (1,171 Views)

Re: Function key bug

03-26-2012 06:29 PM in reply to: sue

Could you please check to see if the function keys that don't work in AutoCAD work properly in other Windows applications (for example, Microsoft Word or Excel)?

If the same keys don't work in any other programs, then I'd say that it's likely some kind of hardware issue within the operating system. One option is to check by changing the keyboard (if a spare is available) and see if it helps.

Vinod Balasubramanian
sue
sue
Message 3 of 20 (1,167 Views)

03-26-2012 07:21 PM in reply to: sue

Thank you for your reply. I have had this problem for many years, so have had a number of new computers, and keyboards, and have used operatings systems from probably before Windows 95 through to Windows 7.

I will have to wait for the problem to occur again, to be able to test to see if it occurs in other programmes.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 20 (1,155 Views)

03-27-2012 03:41 AM in reply to: sue

Hi,

>> I have had this problem for many years, so have had a number of new computers, and keyboards [...]

Sounds like you are using a tool on all these pc's for many years that's doing something with your function keys. Maybe a screenshot-utility as just one of the possibilities watching for function-keys via hooks?

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
sue
sue
Message 5 of 20 (1,140 Views)

03-27-2012 09:06 PM in reply to: sue

No, nothing like that installed.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 20 (1,135 Views)

03-28-2012 01:15 AM in reply to: sue

Hi,

next time this happens open the Windows-Taskmanager, go to the list of processes and show us a screenshot of what is running currently.

The only problem I know with keys on keyboard is sometimes the <ESC>-key does not work when Photoshop SE is running parallel to AutoCAD. I never heard a problem like yours with function keys working like changed.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
JetlineElectrical
Message 7 of 20 (1,099 Views)

04-13-2012 12:09 PM in reply to: sue

Sue,

I have the same problem with my F8 & F9 keys, and possibly my F3 key. It started 10/2011, after consulting with a company called M2 Technologies, apparently the company contracting with or part of AutoDesk to create AutoCAD Electrical. I was using regular AutoCAD 2011 for a year and did not seem to have the problem. Now I have upgraded to AutoCAD Electrical 2012. I use it in 'vanilla' mode (regular AutoCAD). I've used AutoCAD since ver. 11 / 1993.

When I press F8 to turn ORTHO on or off and instead it will turn SNAP on or off. The same thing happens in reverse when I turn SNAP on or off, ORTHO is turned on or off instead. Once I have discovered it and pressed the other of the 2 function keys, the problem goes away temporarily. I have to restart AutoCAD to make it go away for any length of time. It can return unannounced at any time. I have replaced keyboard and mouse with no change. I run my computer with 2 Windows Explorer windows open in the background. One is looking at our network, the other is open to files on my 'C' drive. No other programs are running other than Norton (Symantec Endpoint Protection), unless my company is snooping on me with some other program.

I have suspicions that this bug is specifically designed to drive people nuts who are using AutoCAD to draw schematics. As you can imagine, drawing schematics requires turning SNAP, ORTHO, and OSNAP on/off/on over and over again. It would be a great way to get users to use AutoCAD Electrical schematic functions don't you think? Of course this kind of thing could never happen, could it. -Brian

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 20 (1,095 Views)

04-13-2012 12:14 PM in reply to: JetlineElectrical

Hi,

just for you to get in contact: >>>this thread<<< shows up the same problem.

My suggestion is you should check your hardware, os and AutoCAD to come to any driver/product/setting that you have and others don't.

Good luck to all of you!  - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
sue
sue
Message 9 of 20 (984 Views)

06-04-2012 08:29 PM in reply to: sue

The function key problem has just returned. I tried the function keys in Microsoft Office Excel 2010, and had no problem. Then as I had a number of drawings open, I tried the function keys in them, and found that the problem didn't exist there either - only in the one drawing. This time I found by just closing that one drawing, and reopening, the problem went away.

Any ideas?

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 10 of 20 (864 Views)

08-14-2012 08:46 AM in reply to: sue

I've had the same problem

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.