AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
Myoula
Message 1 of 5 (1,850 Views)
Accepted Solution

Force Table Font

1850 Views, 4 Replies
09-17-2012 01:59 PM

1.Set Tablestyle to desired, table font is defined in tablestyle as an .shx font.

2. Insert a new table using copyclipped Excel data, using Paste Special...Autocad Entities.

No matter what font I choose in Excel, Autocad inisists on overriding tablestyle font and formatting font as True Type inherited from Excel data. Have cleared all formatting in Excel. Since I cannot perform multiple cell font re-formats (you really need to fix that) and match cell style also cannot be used to paste multiple formats, it seems it is impossible to strip the true-type formatting out of a large table. This is infuriating.

Any suggestions?

AutoCAD still does not offer a "strip formatting" option when pasting content from other programs like MSoffice products do, nor does it override them by default, and that remains the key issue to your need.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 5 (1,838 Views)

Re: Force Table Font

09-18-2012 06:27 AM in reply to: Myoula

AutoCAD still does not offer a "strip formatting" option when pasting content from other programs like MSoffice products do, nor does it override them by default, and that remains the key issue to your need.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
knickers
Message 3 of 5 (1,770 Views)

10-15-2012 09:40 AM in reply to: pendean

I feel your pain...

Sadly I encountered the same issue.

My crude but effective work-around was to "Paset Special"

Apply the table styles to the various cells (Title, Header, Data).

Grip adjust the table to fit my sizing criteria.

...Here's where it gets ugly:

Copy the table in the drawing.

Explode the table.

Explode the table again.

Now tou should have "dumb" individual AutoCAD objects that can have all their properties adjusted.

Not elegant nor very flexible, but functional.

Best Regards

Distinguished Contributor
Myoula
Message 4 of 5 (1,758 Views)

10-15-2012 12:05 PM in reply to: knickers

Have discovered another way to do this, slightly less clunky.

1. Start new table

2. Create named data link

3. MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE RADIO BUTTON INDICATING THAT YOU WISH TO REMOVE ALL FORMATTING FROM THE EXCEL SPREADSHEET (SEE ATTACHED). This is the only chance you have to do this - you cannot come back later on and choose this!

3. Once table is created, break the data link and you will have a "dumb" table again with the font set at the defined font for the tablestyle, even if it is an .shx font.

4. This only works for R2012 SP1 or later! It is not docmumented.

5. If you are using Vault, it is important to break the data link AND REMOVE ALL REFRENCES TO THE DATA LINK IN DATA LINK MANAGER - for some reason Vault chokes when trying to resolve file relationships with data links and xrefs for Autocad drawings if file paths are not relative (and even then it is iffy). The only way the data link will be correctly resolved in Vault is if the dwg file containing the link is in the same folder at the same level in the directory structure as the linked to file. This is especially problematic when attempting to move files in Vault - if both are not moved at the same time the resolution bombs.

Active Contributor
jthabam
Message 5 of 5 (1,622 Views)

01-29-2013 03:13 PM in reply to: Myoula

Thanks Myoula,

I have fought with this issue for a long time.  I really appreciate you for posting this tip.

My solution had been to go cell by cell overriding the font and color.  This is much better.

Thanks,
Jeff

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!