AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

matthewl
Message 1 of 4 (221 Views)

Fitting a polyline contour to a curve

221 Views, 3 Replies
11-19-2012 02:46 AM

Hi there,

I'm in a jam right now and need a solution pretty quick, so I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section.

I have a sinusoidal curve, that I've created using a third party app, which has worked really well. But the app only produces the form in a straight line and i now need to fit it to a number of curves.

I have a form of 3 radii and a couple of flats, which the sinusoidal form needs to fit along. All this work is just in 2D as i need to output the dxf into a CNC machine.

I hope this makes sense, can anyone help please!?!?!?!

Many, many thanks in advance.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 4 (218 Views)

Re: Fitting a polyline contour to a curve

11-19-2012 02:51 AM in reply to: matthewl

Hi,

start command _PEDIT and look for the options _FIT or _SPLINE (>>>details<<<).

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
matthewl
Message 3 of 4 (213 Views)

11-19-2012 03:28 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

My first problem, is that I'm not sure how either of these commands will work for my situation.

But I have now developed a second problem, in that I can't join the polylines of my form. At the moment I have 6 polylines all end to end in the form that i need, but the Join command won't join these lines.

I figure I need to get the form into a single polyline in order to fit the sonusoidal curve to my form.

Any ideas?

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 4 (209 Views)

11-19-2012 03:41 AM in reply to: matthewl

Hi,

>> My first problem, is that I'm not sure how either of these commands will work for my situation.

I have set a link to the help of _PEDIT in my previous post, there you can read about _PEDIT and how it works.

>> I can't join the polylines of my form

Joining only works if the endpoints of the segments have the (exact) same coordinates. Any minimal distance would avoid the concatenation of two segments.

So verify (e.g. by command _ID and using objectsnap _ENDPOINT) that the endpoints match together.

If you are willing to allow some tolerance then you can use _PEDIT with the option for selecting multiple objects, that gives you a chance to input a tolerance-value when using option JOIN.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.