AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

mhanel
Message 1 of 8 (5,190 Views)

Filling extruded 2D shape

5190 Views, 7 Replies
10-23-2011 04:42 AM

It's been a while since I last used AutoCAD and I'm struggling with a simple (I guess) problem. I tried the search but maybe I am looking for the wrong terms :smileysad::

I created a closed 2D shape with the line tool and extruded it. No I want to "fill" the 3D object so it's a solid piece. But I can't figure out how to do that and so I'm stuck on a shape with "walls" around it.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 8 (5,189 Views)

Re: Filling extruded 2D shape

10-23-2011 05:03 AM in reply to: mhanel

Hi,

>> I created a closed 2D shape with the line tool

You started with the wrong "tool", if you would have used polyline (with last option "CLOSE") or the command _RECTANGLE the extrusion of that would have created a solid.

Now, to get your lines extruded as solid you can use the command _PRESSPULL (for details look >>>here<<<).

HTH, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
mhanel
Message 3 of 8 (5,188 Views)

10-23-2011 05:06 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

That simple :smileysurprised:!

Thanks for your explanation =)!

Employee
dieters
Message 4 of 8 (5,163 Views)

10-24-2011 10:58 AM in reply to: mhanel

Different people use different methods. My preference after I create something in 2D with lines and arcs, is to use the BOUNDARY command to create a closed polyline or region using a specified point inside an enclosed area. (I use regions when I want to apply a 2D Boolean operation such as SUBRACT.) Then, I typically use the EXTRUDE command (Solid mode) to generate a 3D solid, or less frequently, SWEEP along a path.

Again, everyone has their favorite methods and tricks.

Dieter

---------------------

Dieter Schlaepfer
AutoCAD UA Lead
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California 

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 8 (5,157 Views)

10-24-2011 11:07 AM in reply to: dieters

Hi,

>> Different people use different methods.

>> My preference after I create something in 2D with lines and arcs, is to use the BOUNDARY command

If you have a drawing already holding thousands of curves you will be thankful for everyone who has created concatenated polylines instead of lines/arcs. Because if you have crossing geometry there is no way to get BOUNDARY working with 3 clicks.

So my argumentation is quite easy:

• to get a puzzle exploded is easy (to explode a poly also)
  • to get combined a puzzle is always work (to get lines/arcs combined to polylines depends havily on the amount of existing geometry and could also get quite complex to find the right ones)

Now what's the better idea? For me (and my students) the poly is the option 1 :smileywink:

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Employee
dieters
Message 6 of 8 (5,151 Views)

10-24-2011 11:40 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Well, that's why I prefaced my suggestion. A drawing with thousands of crossing curves sounds extremely complex. You choose the tool or method for the job.

Dieter

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 7 of 8 (5,137 Views)

10-24-2011 03:12 PM in reply to: dieters

dieters wrote:

...after I create something in 2D with lines and arcs, is to use the BOUNDARY command to create a closed polyline or region

What if the boundary consists of lines, polylines, arcs and splines?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Employee
dieters
Message 8 of 8 (5,122 Views)

10-25-2011 06:30 AM in reply to: JDMather

Adding one or more splines to the mix of objects that enclose an area forces the Boundary command to create a region object rather than a closed polyline. You can combine and extrude the resulting regions into 3D solids.

If you open the Help topic titled Draw Splines, the first illustration is the driveway and front walk that I designed for my house. I used the Boundary command to create a region from which I was able to estimate the amount of concrete that I needed.

Incidentally, getting the spline from the drawing to the ground was . . . interesting. I asked my architect neighbor how people usually did this, and he had this funny smile on his face. Undeterred, I got two tape measures, some metal spikes, a garden hose, and some white spray paint.

Can you guess how I did it?

Dieter

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!