Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FILEDIA wont fix my GUI

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
nicholas.leclair
1352 Views, 17 Replies

FILEDIA wont fix my GUI

I am having trouble with my Autocad2012. When I use commands that normally have a gui or dialogue box I only ever get a command line prompt. This continues even after I set my FILEDIA to "1". I think I may be missing some sort of support path. I also have my CMDDIA set to "1".

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

What command especially are these? E.g. what happens when you start command _.LAYER or command _,HATCH (including the leading underscore and point!).

When you login as another user to your Windows and start AutoCAD then, is the issue the same? If that works you might have a chance if you export the AutoCAD profile (using command _OPTIONS ==> tab "Profiles") to an ARG-files, then login back with the original user account and import the profile from the ARG file.

What operating system do you have? Are you running any applications or tools on top of AutoCAD?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 18

I only have access to my user name since this is a company computer. You are right that "Layer" and "Hatch" both only allow command prompts. "Block" also has this problem and probably many more that I havent tried. I had another draftsman e-mail his profile and when I imported it, I got an error saying "File not found" and the original problem remained. Is it possible that there is a toolbar support file that is missing?

Message 4 of 18

Hi,

>> I had another draftsman e-mail his profile and when I imported it, I got an error saying "File not found"

I hope this was exported from the same product type and the same version!

>> I only have access to my user name

Then ask your admin to login for one trial.

... and those questions:

- What operating system do you have?

- Are you running any applications or tools on top of AutoCAD?

At least you might try the option to reset the profile (from the Windows start menu), but then you loose all your customizations and - in case of running applications or tools) - you may loose functionality too.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 18

@nicholas.leclair wrote:

I am having trouble with my Autocad2012. When I use commands that normally have a gui or dialogue box I only ever get a command line prompt. This continues even after I set my FILEDIA to "1". I think I may be missing some sort of support path. I also have my CMDDIA set to "1".

Filedia only affects FILE DIAlogs.

Cmddia no longer affects dialogs in AutoCAD AFAIK. It does still have an effect on some dialogs in AutoCAD Map.

How are you launching these commands? If they are defined with a lisp shortcut, they may be missing something. For example, load the following lisp functions and then run the commands WB1 and WB2. See the difference?

(defun c:wb1 ()
  (command "._wblock")
)
(defun c:wb2 ()
  (initcommandversion)
  (command "._wblock")
)

Try running the commands you are having problems with by typing in the command with a period prefix. Any different?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 18

I am running windows 7 and I am only using standard AutoCAD with no other tools. I usually have other programs running such as excel or internet explorer. Thanks for the help so far

Message 7 of 18

I ran that lisp and then ran wb1 and wb2. Both gave me the same result with a command line prompt asking for "Enter name of output file". When I put a period prefix before block or wblock it changes nothing. Thanks for the help so far.

Message 8 of 18
pendean
in reply to: nicholas.leclair

At the commandline, type .LAYER (there is a period that is part of the name): still only get the commandline version of LAYER? If yes, may I ask that you post a full screenshot of your entire AutoCAD program window after you do so with the TEXTSCR open?
Message 9 of 18
nicholas.leclair
in reply to: pendean

Yes I only get a command line still. I have posted a screenshot of what it does after I enter .LAYER into the comand line.

Message 10 of 18

Please hit F2 (to bring up the text window) and take a screenshot of that.

Message 11 of 18
pendean
in reply to: nicholas.leclair

Do you always get that "invalid option key" alert?
What about the other screenshot I asked for?

Your AutoCAD is messed up my friend: you need to find out why quickly or reset or even reinstall AutoCAD 2012 if all else fails.
Message 12 of 18

Here it is. Also, is it possible that these problems occur becuase I also have a copy of Inventor on my Computer and perhaps the file location are getting crossed?

Message 13 of 18
nicholas.leclair
in reply to: pendean

No I don't always get the Invalid Option warning. Now it just tells me that my current layer is "0"

Message 14 of 18

@nicholas.leclair wrote:

Here it is. Also, is it possible that these problems occur becuase I also have a copy of Inventor on my Computer and perhaps the file location are getting crossed?

Not that it should matter, but what is LAYERDLGMODE set to?

If it's set to 0, set it to 1 and try again.

If it's set to 1, set it to 0 and try again.

Message 15 of 18

I played around with LAYERDLGMODE and it changed nothing. I think that I might need to reinstall Auto-CAD.

Message 16 of 18

Try this first.

http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1060586

Your registry path will not match exactly what is shown there, but it should be close enough that you can find it.

Message 17 of 18

I appreciate the help and I followed the instruction but it did nothing to help.

Message 18 of 18

Well, I can't wait to see what this turns out to be......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost