Did you mean: 

Fields in modelspace not updating

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Greek2Me
4029 Views, 32 Replies

Fields in modelspace not updating

I have a project where 60 drawings will be duplicated for each of a dozen sites.  Each site has a four digit prefix (i.e. 800X) that is added to the drawing number, equipment callouts, leaders and various notes throughout the sheets.  Even using Find/Replace, this is a lot of work to revise every time I copy them, so I’m thinking that this is a job for fields, no?

Well, I had no problem making a “global” field called SiteNo and inserting it into the title block.  Then I inserted the same field into a couple of references in the general notes as well, where it works fine.  But when I put it into several leaders sprinkled throughout the drawing I found a problem:  regen or regenall will update the title block and note references (all in paperspace, of course), but not the ones in model space.  I’ve tried putting the field in both mtext and dtext, and I’ve checked to be sure FIELDEVAL is set to 31.  Nothing makes fields in modelspace update.

But I know that the field is set up correctly.  If I doubleclick any modelspace occurance (text or mleader), then right click and choose “update field”, it fills in the right value.  This however negates my goal.  If I have to select each one, I might as well put it in as text and use FIND/REPLACE on each individual drawing.

I was REALLY hoping that I could go to the properties of the sheet set, change one box, and see all occurrences in all drawings for that site update, which is my understanding of the purpose and power of fields.  I've spent a lot of time searching the web, seen a lot of issues and solutions, but nothing that quite hits my problem. What am I missing?

Thanks for any assistance.

"Always remember: nothing difficult is ever easy."
32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
RockyBrown4134
in reply to: Greek2Me

What is FIELDVAL set to? Could be as simple as regenerating the drawing.

OTB Initial value should be 31.

0 = Not Updated

1 = Updated on Open

2 = Updated on save

4 = Updated on Plot

8 = Updated on ETRANSMIT

16 = Updated on regeneration

The setting is stored as a bitcode using the sum of the values above.

I have mine set to 18 (16+2), to update on regen and save.

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 3 of 33
Greek2Me

As I noted in original post, FIELDEVAL is already set to 31. (Nearly every post here suggests that, so it was my first act.)

I'm wondering if custom sheetSET fields don't read in modelspace, while custom SHEET fields do...  Are fields associated with the sheetset intended to only read (and update) in paperspace, where the border, notes, etc reside?

Very annoying because I'm SURE that I had it working once, but Murphy's Law kicked in ("If you tinker with something long enough, eventually you will BREAK it!") and whatever I've done, now I can't get it to work for anything.

This could be an awesome tool, since we frequently have sets of drawings that are nearly identical except for a few equipment callouts, and being able to change them globally by one input of the SSM would be a wonderful time saver.

RMc

Message 4 of 33
RockyBrown4134

Maybe I missed something. What is the field exactly? (The term "Global" field is confusing me) Is the field a custom Sheet Set Property? Document property? Can You post an example?

Just guessing, I tried adding a custom Sheet Property to a sheet set, and then inserted it as a field in a line of MText, in model space. I changed the property value and did a regen. The field updated fine. But I don't know if that was what you are trying to accomplish. 

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
Message 5 of 33
Greek2Me

Sorry, I should know better than making up terms... by "global", I meant a SheetSet field as opposed to "local", or Sheet field.

I don't want a Sheet field, this would necessitate changing the value of the field in each drawing.  I was assuming that by using a CustomSheetSet field and inserting it into mtext or multileaders, I could change only one value (at the sheet set level) and update all of them.  Wondering if this is like "nested blocks" and the fact that it is a CustomSheetSet field, then in modelspace, then inserted into a mleader is too "deep" and it is unable to read from the SSM?  Just guessing at this point.  Pretty sure I'm missing something simple, but have no idea what.

Message 6 of 33
RockyBrown4134

If I re-created the Custom Value correctly, and created a Multileader Style with the field as the default text, I can get it to update.

Rocky Brown
Message 7 of 33
Greek2Me

Hmmmm.... that's a thought.  I didn't create a new mleader style, I simply double clicked the ones the original drafter created and inserted the field into his text.  Does it need to have fields inserted from the beginning?  I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Thanks for your responses.

Maranatha

Message 8 of 33
Greek2Me

Rats, no luck.

I've attached a screen shot, maybe this will help.  You can see the field in note 3 which displays and updates correctly anytime I regen (because the notes are in paperspace?).  But the leader with a field at bottom center is in modelspace (as well as two more prefixed with 8002 in text only).  It has NOT updated, and the only way to get it to do so is to doubleclick, rightclick and select "Update Field".  As I stated previously, there may be a few, there may be a lot, and I'm searching for the way to update them all at once by the SheetSet rather than drawing by drawing.

Thanks again for your patience.

Message 9 of 33
RockyBrown4134

Check the system variable DEMANDLOAD and see if it is set to "2". I read in the help file under fields that some fields will not update if the value is "2". If it is, change it to 3 or 1 and see what happens.

Rocky Brown
Message 10 of 33
Greek2Me

Already checked DEMANDLOAD, tried every available option (0-3) without effect. (sigh)

Message 11 of 33
RockyBrown4134

I have DEMANDLOAD set to 2, but I figured it was worth a shot. If I find anything else, I'll post.

Rocky Brown
Message 12 of 33
doni49

I'm using 2012 here.  I placed an mtext object containing a field that points to SHEETSETPROJECTNAME.  There are 4 layout tabs in this dwg file and they're all set up as individual sheets in one sheet set.  I made sure this sheet set has a value assigned to that fieldname.  All I get is ####.

Honestly, I would have been very surprised if it had actually worked.  Each layout can be assigned as a sheet in DIFFERENT sheet sets.  So how would the model know what sheet set to look at?  Now granted, the programmers COULD conceivably tell the program that if all layouts are assigned to the same sheetset, the model can use THAT sheetset to populate fields.

Just to confirm that the field was created correctly, I went to one of my layouts and used the CHSPACE command to move the mtext (field) to paperspace.  When I did, the field populated properly.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 13 of 33
Greek2Me
in reply to: doni49

"Honestly, I would have been very surprised if it had actually worked.  Each layout can be assigned as a sheet in DIFFERENT sheet sets.  So how would the model know what sheet set to look at?"

The model DOESN'T "know".  The sheet set file (*.dst) contains the values and feeds them into fields when you open the file.  So, while standalone drawings can use multiple tabs, Autodesk recommends that you only have one layout when using sheet sets exactly for this reason. (Plus it avoids one person opening Layout1 while another opens Layout2 of the same *.dwg file.)

I have tried creating multileaders and mtext in both model and paper space.  I then make a custom sheet set property called SiteNo, and insert a field referencing SiteNo into the text.  In paperspace it updates fine, multiple instances update fine, but if I created it in modelspace or use CHSPACE to move it there, the only way it updates is the method above, which effectively negates any benefit of using the field.  No idea what I'm doing that it won't update properly when in modelspace.

Murphy would be smiling smugly about now...  😞

Message 14 of 33
doni49

@Greek2Me wrote:
No idea what I'm doing that it won't update properly when in modelspace.

You're putting it in modelspace -- that's the problem. 

I'm thinking from the standpoint of the programmer here.  The dwg file CAN have multiple layouts.  Each layout CAN be assigned to separate sheet sets.  In THAT scenario HOW would Acad know what sheet set to use for MODELSPACE fields?  It WOULD NOT (unless as I said previously, all layouts used the same sheetset AND the programmers made the program allow that scenario.  And I'm saying that it doesn't look as though they've done that.

You said that they recommend you only have one layout per drawing when using sheet sets.  If that's the case, they need to tell their programmers that because Civil 3D specifically offers you the opportunity to create your Plan & Profile sheets as well as Cross Section Sheets all in one file if you want AND the sheets it creates are intended to use sheet sets.

Plus even if that's the case, it's only a RECOMENDATION.  They'd still have to account for the possibility of one dwg file being tied to multiple sheet sets. 

They seem to have decided not to let modelspace use sheet set data at all.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 15 of 33
Greek2Me

Got to respectfully disagree, Doni.

First, there seem to be others who are using sheet set data in model space...

Second, I MADE a drawing that did it!  Then (with TOTAL disregard to Murphy's admonition not to "tweak" things), I changed something and now can't get it back to that state!  VERY frustrating!  There seem to be only a few variables (FIELDEVAL, DEMANDLOAD) that have anything to do with how and when fields update, and as mentioned above, I've created them in both "spaces", moved them back and forth, copied the field from a working one and pasted it into a model space one... about everything I can think of without success.

It wouldn't be NEARLY as annoying if I hadn't already seen it work once before.  It's real simple:  I want multiple fields to update when I change the CustomSheetSet Property named SiteNo wherever they are, whether in modelspace or paperspace.  It ain't rocket science, but apparently I am missing the boat here.

Message 16 of 33
doni49

Well if you say that you've seen it work, then ok. All I was saying is that it failed for me and it did seem reasonable to think that they had not allowed for fields in modelspace for the reasons listed.

If I was incorrect, then so be it.

Don Ireland

Message 17 of 33
doni49

Save one that DOES work to a new name, delete everything out (and purge all). Then insert your other file.

Don Ireland

Message 18 of 33

This may not have anything to do with it, but it's worth a try.

Open Sheetset Manager and right click on the sheet set being used, and select properties. At the bottom of the dialog, click "Edit Custom Properties". When the Custom Properties dialog comes up it will display the property name, default value, and the Owner. What is the Owner value? Sheet Set or Sheet?

I thinking (guessing) that if it is set to Sheet, then that might have something to do with it. The word "Owner" has me wondering. I am away from my machine, so I have not tested yet.

Like I said, I don't know if it makes a difference, but its worth a shot.

Rocky Brown
Message 19 of 33
Greek2Me
in reply to: doni49

If you mean "save a DRAWING that works...",  TOO Late!  I've modified it and not sure exactly where and when to find one in it's previous state. (Our archive system is NOT the easiest in the world for retreival.

Just seems like I'm missing something stupid and now it appears that I've been wrestling it so much that I've gotten into that "can't see the forest for the trees" mindset.  I'll probably just use FIND/REPLACE to update the info, step back for a while and approach it again when I've had some time to ponder it.

Thanks for your input.

Maranatha 

Message 20 of 33
Greek2Me
in reply to: RockyBrown4134

It's owned by the Sheet Set.  Thats where I coined the phrases "global" and "local" in an earlier post.  As I understand it, when "owned" by the SET, it will span all drawings in set (i.e. project name), but when "owned" by the SHEET, it is for this drawing only (i.e. the drawing description).  Seems pretty clear, and since I want the site number to appear on all sheets, multiple places throughout the drawings, CustomSheetSet field seems reasonable.  I'm pondering if I should use a "placeholder" field?  I'll look into that Monday I suppose...

I could understand if it didn't do ANYTHING, but what is infuriating is that if I click a modelspace field associated with the CustomSheetSet property, I can update the thing individually, so it is CLEARLY associated with the right data.  I just can't get it so that when I change the Sheet Set properties, that drawing (and presumably all other drawings in the sheet set) update.  I've had great results doing exactly this with fields in the title block and in model space that extract entity info such as area and length of lines.  But I can't get this one to work, and it's the one I really need for this project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost