AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

lepepwerdna
Message 1 of 29 (19,163 Views)

Extremely slow performance

19163 Views, 28 Replies
06-19-2011 11:56 AM

I have searched through these forums and tried everything short of buying a workstation graphics card. My issue is that AutoCAD is very slow when working with anything 3D. And it is only an issue in recent versions of CAD. Older versions run just fine. My system specs are as follows:

Win7 64 bit 

Core i7 920 OC'd to 4.0GHZ

6 GB 1600 MHz Triple Channel Memory

NVIDIA Gtx 470

I cannot understand why AutoCAD would be running slowly. I monitored the usage of my GPU while modeling, and it never went past ~35%, so it is obviously not using all of the cuda cores available to it. It only uses about 200MB of memory on the GPU, and total memory usage is only about 40% on my computer. The CPU never passes around 20%, but from what I understand AutoCAD is largely single core/thread at any rate, so my higher clock should be helping there.

I have tried running it with and without hardware acceleration, with all of the graphical settings as low as they can go, without an internet connection in ase it was looking for something... Nothing seems to make an improvement, and as it stands it is barely useable.

And the odd thing is that 3ds Max and Maya both run fine unless my polygon count is in the millions and/or I try to run complex commands and run out of memory. So this is really frustrating that autocad can't deal with a few regular shapes in 3D. 

I don't want to buy a new workstation card, but that seems to be all that is left to me. So what I am really looking for is some advice. Does anyone know what settings I could possibly change to increase performance? Is it worth trying to buy a cheap workstation card just to get the performance driver for AutoCAD working? Suggestions for a cheap workstation card? 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Distinguished Contributor
GSXR1k
Message 2 of 29 (19,121 Views)

Re: Extremely slow performance

06-21-2011 07:17 AM in reply to: lepepwerdna

I don't have Acad 2012 YET.  But I am looking in on the 2012 forums to see what's in store for me when I do get upgraded.

This is a laundry list of things that help performance in previous versions (this has been posted in other threads here).  Some of these turn off features you desire so pick and choose what is or isn't important to you.  Good thing about these are ... you can turn them back on if it does not help.

1. Dynamic UCS off (UCSDETECT change to 0 = off)
2. Use old layer dialog (LAYERDLGMODE change to 0 (1 = new layer dialog))
3. Do not autosave workspaces (WSSETTINGS)
4. Turn off roll over tips (ROLLOVERTIPS change to 0 = off)
5. Turn off quick properties (QPMODE change to 0 = off)
6. Set antivirus software to ignore AutoCAD extensions (DWG, DWT, LSP, DCL, ARX, etc etc)
7. set DRAWORDERCTL to 0 = off
8. Set LAYOUTREGENCTL to 0 = off

9 Turn off any palette transparency. (PALETTEOPAQUE)
10 Turn off SelectionCycling, SC button at bottom of screen
11 Set HPDLGMODE to 1  and/ or hpquickpreview to off.
12 Change ROLLOVERTIPS to 0 (off)
13 Set SHOWLAYERUSAGE to 0 (off)

To improve AutoCAD 2011 running on Windows 7:
- Turn off Hardware Acceleration within AutoCAD, icon on the lower right near workspace and toolbar lock.
- Use Windows 7 Classic/Basic Theme (not AERO or Custom Theme). You miss some of the Aero whizz-bang features, like layout preview and other niceties,  but overall performance seems better for some users.
- Win7's Aero Glass option sometimes turned on by your PC/laptop's manufacturer, turn it off for all your power options.
note: you can turn Aero visual effects off for individual programs by right-clicking the shortcut, go to properties, then Compatibility Tab...check Disable Visual Themes.
- Find out what's causing Win7 reliability issues (crashes or application hangs) type reliability in the Instant Search bar to open the Reliability Monitor; it will show your system's reliability history over a period of time and what seems to hit your reliability the most.
- See a system diagnostic of your computer in Win7: Either go to Administrative Tools, then to Performance Monitor, and finally to Data Collector Sets to launch the System Diagnostic DCS, or simply open up an administrator command prompt and type perfmon /report.
- Start Windows 7 in Diagnostic Mode. If it works here the cause of the problems may be the display or pointer drivers, another driver, a background process (such as an antivirus application).

Maybe this will help some until somebody who has 2012 can help.

good luck

lepepwerdna
Message 3 of 29 (19,090 Views)

06-21-2011 04:24 PM in reply to: GSXR1k

Thanks for the concise list, but all of those changes together only made a marginal difference.

I was told today that my problem may be related to NVIDIA disallowing the autocad drivers on their "gaming" cards. That up until recently the gaming and workstation cards were largely the same, but to drive more sales towards the workstation cards, NVIDIA  denied the gaming cards the appropriate drivers. I don't know if I believe it, but it does sound plausible since there is a dedicated "Autocad performance driver" that doesn't work with my graphics card. I'm considering hacking the driver to detect and accept my card to see if that works. I have a feeling it won't though.

Any more advice would be helpful. Especially related to if I should purchase a workstation card and if so which one?

Thanks. 

GSXR1k
Message 4 of 29 (19,035 Views)

06-23-2011 10:11 AM in reply to: lepepwerdna

That's definitely not a concise list.  But it was easy to cut an paste from one of my "secrets of AutoCAD" files.

You probably have the problem identified.  I had this 'puter bought when Acad 2010 was out and the NVidea Quadro FX 1800M was on the list of supported cards.  Then when 2011 came out it was on the list but when you do the 3DConfig it says its not.   I tried every driver available and none would make it say it was a supported card.

So I just suffer through lackluster and annoying graphics performance.  I can't get the boss to buy a new 'puter every year to stay up with AutoCAD which he has to upgrade every year.

Good luck

(I replied to bump this up to the top again ... hope you get help soon)

GSXR1k
Message 5 of 29 (19,029 Views)

06-23-2011 11:42 AM in reply to: GSXR1k

I must digress ... I checked for the 1st time in months and they had an update for my Graphics card.  ... and now its certified.

Now I expect awesome performance

Just FYI

good luck again

*Expert Elite*
GTVic
Message 6 of 29 (19,024 Views)

06-23-2011 12:07 PM in reply to: lepepwerdna

You might want to post a small file and some example operations that someone else could verify. I have an older computer with a workstation card and also a high performance machine with a gaming card and since newer versions of AutoCAD don't really use NVidia/AMD specific drivers anymore (driver name = "Autodesk") then I'm not sure that you should see a difference other than paying for the verification process that the workstation cards go through and whatever else qualifies it to be a workstation card.

Valued Mentor
JohnHolder
Message 7 of 29 (19,021 Views)

06-23-2011 12:51 PM in reply to: lepepwerdna

Hate to say it,  It's just how 3D operates with Autocad.

Wireframe isn't too slow, but it's almost impossible to work comfortably in shades of grey.

I only work in 3d, and there is alot of problems issues with it.  From speed of the program

to continual crashes in viewports with non 2d views.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Active Contributor
batou079
Message 8 of 29 (18,975 Views)

06-24-2011 09:56 AM in reply to: lepepwerdna

So has anyone found a solution to this?  I just recently had my system upgraded to Win7 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012.

The 3d performance is INSANELY bad.  This isnt "just how autocad is" becuase 2010 AutoCAD ran perfectly fine.  I have the SAME exact hardware i was running on the 2010 version and i was cruising through massive 3d drawings with zero slowdowns.

Come 2012, and it takes 30 seconds to refresh the objects when i simply try to rotate my view a slight tick.  Hell, every action with a 3d drawing up takes a fortnight!  This is not a case of "just how all autocad is" it is 2012 specific and i am hoping someone finds a solution, for now ill simply report it and hope they can get back to me...

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 9 of 29 (18,965 Views)

06-24-2011 02:11 PM in reply to: batou079

autodesk has released this hotfix for all autocad 2012 based products: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17013122&linkID=9240898

don't know if it will solve your issue

Valued Mentor
JohnHolder
Message 10 of 29 (18,961 Views)

06-24-2011 02:25 PM in reply to: batou079

It has always been this way on my machines 2011 and now 2012.  prior to 2011 I was using 2009 on an outdated machine.

An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't.
-------------------------------------
"Do or do not... there is no try"
Master Yoda.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.