Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Express Tools Import and Export Attributes question

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1455 Views, 2 Replies

Express Tools Import and Export Attributes question

I have had some sucess building a drawing list using Express Tools Export Attributes and Excel.

First I export the title block attributes this creates a two line text file. Using a simple batch file I combine all of the project titleblocks into Excel as a text file then I use a data command to remove the duplicated lines giving me a header and a drawing list. This can be saved as an excel .xlsx file and unused data can be hidden color coded whatever to make the managers happy.

Then I get to the second part of my post with my question, I want to be able to make changes such as revision notes or dates or what ever to the data and re import it to the drawings. For this I make my changes in spread sheet format save it back as a text file and open each autocad file and then use the Express ?Tools Import Attribute command to change the titleblocks as needed sometimes this works well but the "Handle" appears to be the problem, when I run the tool it asks me for the file name I wish to use. It defalts to the drawing_file.txt file I exported but I can select the combined text file and the updates go in very eaisly IF the Handle is a unique number, it isn't always the case. So is there a way of getting the Import to key off the Drawing Number and Handle. Or can anyone think of an eaisy way to explode my combined text file to all of those original text files and up date the contents automaticly. This would be a tremendous time and money saver.

I am including that batch file for others to use if it is helpfull.

text.bat is

copy *.txt DrawingList.txt

Ctrl-Z

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jggerth
in reply to: Anonymous

a Handle is a unique ID added to every entity in a drawing, and is never re-used within that DWG file.  But, handles can and will be duplicated between drawings, so if you are trying to combine the output of multiple drawings into a single file, manipulate the file, and then reimport, it's not going to work.

Might I suggest you explore FIELDS and SheetSet Manager as the better way to address what you are doing?  SSM lacks tabular editing capabilites, but there are third party applications that extend SSM editing to more of a table style.

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: jggerth

Although a handle is a unique ID. Could you not use: (vl-bb-set '<symbol> <value>) to retain handle ID numbers assigned in one drawing, and transfer that objects handle to another drawing? In doing this, theory is that would ensure the handle is always the same for a block, or if you wanted to take the time to do it, a block library. I am thinking if your block library wasn't large in size, like maybe a "standard block library" this could be accomplished. Chances are, not ALL blocks in the library would have a need to be defined with the lisp statement above, because only "some" of the blocks need to transfer information to a spreadsheet or text file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost