Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message Opening Dwg File

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
johnsonhem
349 Views, 6 Replies

Error Message Opening Dwg File

I have an issue where an end-user tries to open a drawing and he receives a: "FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0xffffffff Exception at e247b552h" message. This only occurs when opening this one filed. We tried opening this specific file on other workstations and they all receive the exact same message. Could it be this file is corrupted/damaged? It does prompt for the recovery process. But after running that, the recovered files detects no issue and the copy it creates pops up the same message. We currently do not having a backup or working version at the moment.

AutoCAD 2012 works fine with all other files. 

Windows 7 64-Bit, Quadro K4000, 24GB of Ram, AutoCAD 2012 SP2

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: johnsonhem

There's some general info here.

Upload the file if possible and we can try opening/repairing with newer versions

Message 3 of 7
johnsonhem
in reply to: nestly2

Here it is, please see attachment.

Message 4 of 7
nestly2

I had no trouble opening the file in AutoCAD2011, 2012, or 2015, but I'm also missing the first floor and the 2nd thru 4th floor xrefs, so perhaps the problem is one of those two files.  Audit found no errors in the file either. 

Have you tried opening the xrefs individually, and/or opening the Elevations drawing without the xref(s)?  Upload those also if you want someone else to test with everything loaded.

johnsonhem.jpg

Message 5 of 7
pendean

It appears your file is from a higher version of AutoCAD than 2012, with remnants of ADT2007/MEP2008 variants to boot.

Audit reported and fixed 4179 errors, and your file also contains these that I removed:
DGN Linetypes Purged : 127
DGN Complex Linetypes Purged : 1808
DGN Text Styles Purged : 8
Registry Applications Purged : 108

Since this upload seems to have had  XREFs as well, I suspect they are also equally cluttered and possibly error prone. Perhaps the reral problem is one of the Xrefs and not this top file? Other than the issues noted above it opened up fine here in plain AutoCAD 2012.

Message 6 of 7
johnsonhem
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for troubleshooting this issue. I opened your modified version and I still received the same error message in this order, please see attachment:

The drawing does not load at all. 

Message 7 of 7
pendean

Is it trying to put back the XREfs that you did not provide?
Can you open the file with RECOVER command?
Can any other AutoCAD seat at your office open the file?
Did you try any of the Autodesk suggested fixes here http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Fatal-E...

Your posted file and my cleaned-up version both open in AutOCAD 2012/13/14/15 and the free DWG viewer from Autodesk here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost