Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block had dynamic properties removed but still shows "lightning bolt"

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
morganism3
1084 Views, 9 Replies

Dynamic Block had dynamic properties removed but still shows "lightning bolt"

Hey y'all, can someone tell me how to find the different categories for different forums? I should be putting this with dynamic blocks but I don't know how.

I have some blocks that were originally dynamic but I removed the dynamic properties. It was a visibility states dynamic, I first deleted all the objects on the other visibility states, then deleted the visibility states themselves, leaving just the first one. Then I highlighted the arrow and "visibilty 1" action and deleted those. Then I used _blockicon.

After all this, the blocks still preview with a lightning bolt, as if they were still dynamic. What am I missing?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
hwalker
in reply to: morganism3

If you click on the word forums you will get a list of all the forums, but just to help you quickly here is the link

Dynamic Block Forums

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 10
morganism3
in reply to: hwalker

Thank you. Did you see a solution to the blocks issue, too?

This email contains protected confidential business information from Total Safety. Recipients should not forward this information except on a need to know basis in order to promote the business concerned and should not file copies of this information with publicly accessible records. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained in this email is prohibited.
Message 4 of 10
hwalker

Have you tried ATTSYNC to see if that removes the lightning bolt?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 10
morganism3
in reply to: hwalker

Just tried, no effect. I'm wondering if it has something to do with deleting the visibility icon off the screen. Am I supposed to be removing it some other way?
This email contains protected confidential business information from Total Safety. Recipients should not forward this information except on a need to know basis in order to promote the business concerned and should not file copies of this information with publicly accessible records. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained in this email is prohibited.
Message 6 of 10
dmfrazier

"I have some blocks that were originally dynamic but I removed the dynamic properties."

The best way to "remove the dynamic properties" of a dynamic block is to insert one, give it the properties you want the "static" block to have, and then use RefEdit (Edit block in place) to modify it.

Refedit will warn you that the dynamic properties will be lost:

RefEditWarning.png

Click OK, and then just save the block without making any changes.

Now you have a new block definition whose name matches the DB's name except for a number appended to the end.

If you want to use this block instead of the DB, you will have to replace all instances of the DB, purge the DB definition, and then rename the new block (if you wish).

Message 7 of 10
morganism3

(to dmfrazier):

I've done that, and it's gotten me halfway there. When I use the "insert" command, it no longer shows the lightning bolt in the preview, so that is an improvement. But it hasn't gotten rid of the lightning bolt that appears next to the preview on the tool palette, even when I right click and ask to update tool image.

Message 8 of 10
dmfrazier

Okay.

If you right-click the Tool Palette icon and look at the properties of the tool, what does it say in the "Source file" field?

Does that give you a hint about what needs to be done?

Message 9 of 10
morganism3
in reply to: dmfrazier

It has the correct source file. Do you want me to attach one of the dwg's that's having this problem?

--------------------------

Message 10 of 10
dmfrazier

No. 

I had been thinking that the reason it wasn't changing was that you were not changing the block in the source file, but since my last post I was able to replicate your issue here.

The only way I can get the lightning bolt to go away is by re-creating the block tool in the palette after the block has been changed and the source drawing saved.  It appears that "somewhere" AutoCAD stores a "flag" of some sort to indicate the block is dynamic, and changing the block without replacing the tool does not change the "flag".

Refreshing the icons has no effect because the lightning bolt is not part of the icon image file.  (You can see this by going to the folder where they are stored and opening one that you know is meant for a DB insertion tool.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost